• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

szaharici

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The US: Still the capital of adventure games?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think we would all agree the US is responsible for most of the adventure classics in the past, certainly through the 80s and 90s. Throughout that era I rarely played anything that wasn’t American and if you look at the Top 100 they dominate it, including the entire top 10. Of course, there have always been great games produced all over the world (especially the French with Coktel Vision, Kheops, Microids, Infogrames) but the US has arguably always been the hub or centre.

Has that changed? Is America still the centre of adventure gaming?

The recent reviews list show games from Italy, Russia, Malaysia, Serbia, Germany, and Spain. That’s pretty impressive, despite most getting low scores. Germany is becoming a machine for producing traditional, no frills but very professional games through Daedelic, KingArt, Deck13 and Cranberry. Japan is doing interesting things bringing unique adventure gameplay to consoles and Spain, Sweden and Czech Rep are all becoming small hubs for AG development.

BUT popularity is important and the Half a year of adventures poll thread shows two US games leading 2012 easily - Resonance and The Walking Dead. And the last 4 years of Aggies from 2008-2011 a US game won best game 3 times. That suggests that although AG development is becoming decentralised, and if this site is anything to go by, we still love American games the most.

Thoughts?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Hey hey now, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (nr. 4 on top 100) isn’t American! But yeah, the 80’s and 90’s in general belonged to the US.

Looking at todays games there’s rarely anything coming out of USA I’m interested in, though there always seems to be like one or two major releases every now and then that trumps most other titles. The king of adventures however I see as Germany’s Daedalic who cranks out awesome game after awesome game. No other studio worldwide is as productive or has as high a production value as them these days in my opinion.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Simply - no, it’s Germany. I’m not talking pure quantity here, but quantity IS a product of popularity. Adventure games are simply one of the most popular genres in Germany/Europe through all of the 00s.

That said, I love USA game history/mentality. England invented football, USA created adventure games. But you can have each year the best adventure coming from USA, that tell us nothing of the genre popularity because Adventure game sites choose, logically, only adventure games, and USA is still very big, or the biggest game market, such that the quality even of a still niche genre will show up eventually.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-08-11

PM

I would tend to agree and I would say yes they had the most success’ but you shouldn’t necessarily prejudge who made the single best. Number one because it’s subjective but number 2 because (and I’m not blaming america for this or claiming that america is self-absorbed) even though a lot of titles were successful in america does not mean they were in the rest of the world so you would really have to look into which countries played them the most world wide which most likely be america (let’s face it) but to get the bigger picture.

My two cents being from Europe the 3 games I hear non-stop from even people who aren’t into adventure games are Monkey Island, Beneath a steel sky and Broken Sword Shadow of the templars. So here in europe (at least in the 90s) I think Sierra may have sold the most over all but revolution and lucasarts/lucasfilm games had the adventure game crowns in terms of consistent quality.

Fully back germany is the hub of adventure games at the moment. (Currently trying to learn German so that I have more options when it comes to games)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

to be Honest it is Germany, and i do not say that is my opinion .
just Watch this Video with Tim Schafer’s Quote/Opinion at (00:39)

Tim Schafer Quote “Adventure Games Exits in our Dreams and our memories and Germany”

Maybe US will take the lead once again, but until further notice that is the way it is.
with Daedalic Entertainment , Deck13 , Cranberry Production , Autumn Moon Entertainment , KING Art Games , Animation Arts ..... by Giving the Best Adventures out there for while.

P.S: if you are talking history Surely US rules the Genre but i think you were not suggesting that.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 15 August 2012 09:25 PM

Simply - no, it’s Germany. I’m not talking pure quantity here, but quantity IS a product of popularity. Adventure games are simply one of the most popular genres in Germany/Europe through all of the 00s.

That said, I love USA game history/mentality. England invented football, USA created adventure games. But you can have each year the best adventure coming from USA, that tell us nothing of the genre popularity because Adventure game sites choose, logically, only adventure games, and USA is still very big, or the biggest game market, such that the quality even of a still niche genre will show up eventually.

Which German games would you use to make your point? Would any make the top 20? 50? Because that’s important. I like Jack Keane, Whispered World and Ceville but I’m not sure they would for me.

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 August 2012 08:53 PM

Looking at todays games there’s rarely anything coming out of USA I’m interested in, though there always seems to be like one or two major releases every now and then that trumps most other titles.

Yes, me too. I think the main change is simply more notable titles are coming out internationally, and less from the US.

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 August 2012 08:53 PM

The king of adventures however I see as Germany’s Daedalic who cranks out awesome game after awesome game. No other studio worldwide is as productive or has as high a production value as them these days in my opinion.

Daedelic is no doubt an adventure machine, but productivity isn’t the only issue. The thread I mentioned suggests we didn’t think all that much of Daedelic’s contributions this year. I think Book of Unwritten Tales was the closest German game to winning the Aggie last year but Portal 2 edged it out.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 15 August 2012 09:36 PM

Which German games would you use to make your point? Would any make the top 20? 50? Because that’s important. I like Jack Keane, Whispered World and Ceville but I’m not sure they would for me.

The way you asked the question does not imply “place in the history” but a current trend. Of course German adventure games can not compete with the US game catalogue. But Brazil and Argentina are not the current World Champions in football, even if they might still produce world’s best players.

But if anyone is to prove a point, it would still come to a subjective taste: Is Moment of Silence better than most of US adventure games of ‘04? How many mysteries in ‘09 are better than The Black Mirror 2? Do you prefer episodic Telltale games to a Daedalic’s full-fledged?

As for top 20, 50… I’m not sure. I’d probably squeeze in there some of more recent games but they would probably go higher after some more time. But I agree that instant classics are seen less often compared to Golden Age, which shouldn’t come as a surprise, and shouldn’t even bother us, as we had sort of a steady “resurgence” tempo from late ‘00s.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

I would say that there isn’t really a capitol of adventure games anymore. The USA was for a long time, mainly because the genre was invented here, and so the early developers of adventure games, which were American, influenced each-other and created a good culture of adventure game development here, before the genre had a chance to spread much to the rest of the world. You still had some great non American adventure developers like Revolution Studio, but the genre as a whole was still strongest in the US. Lucas Arts, Sierra, and Infocom don’t exist anymore or at least not like the used to, but there are still good adventure games coming out of the US. Telltale Games only recently stopped making true adventure games, in favor of interactive movies, but I have hopes for the new King’s Quest. You also have a new game from the Two Guys from Andromeda coming next year, and of course Double Find Adventure. A lot of the good American adventure games these days are smaller indie games, like Resonance, Gemini Rue, and other Wadjet Eye games.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Oscar - 15 August 2012 08:22 PM

I think we would all agree the US is responsible for most of the adventure classics in the past, certainly through the 80s and 90s. Throughout that era I rarely played anything that wasn’t American and if you look at the Top 100 they dominate it, including the entire top 10. Of course, there have always been great games produced all over the world (especially the French with Coktel Vision, Kheops, Microids, Infogrames) but the US has arguably always been the hub or centre.

Longest Journey ain’t American and neither is Broken Sword.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

At the Moment it surely is Germany and Europe in General (Lace Mamba Global) publishing UK retail versions. Also Europe publishes Adventures the traditional way (Pendulo Studios is an exception), while the Adventure Dynasaurs of the US are all focused on the Kickstarter. The big US Adventure companies of the past (Sierra, Lucasarts, Access, Legend, Dreamcatcher, The Adventure Company etc.) do not exist any more (for adventure gamers) on the contrary now the big names at the Moment are Pendulo Studios (Spain), King Art Games (Germany), Daedalic (Germany), Lace Mamba Global (UK), Senscape (Agustion Cordes,Argentina) and several smaller indipendent european groups. Wadget Eye Games is the American exception I would say….

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 15 August 2012 10:32 PM
Oscar - 15 August 2012 09:36 PM

The way you asked the question does not imply “place in the history” but a current trend. Of course German adventure games can not compete with the US game catalogue. But Brazil and Argentina are not the current World Champions in football, even if they might still produce world’s best players.

Well, at least they’ve won world cups! If someone asked me which country was the ‘biggest’ country in adventure gaming right now I admit I would probably say Germany for want of a better option, but if they then asked me to recommend a few of their greatest games or list some of the masterpieces they have produced, I would be stuck. If we were discussing American games it would be easy.

That is my biggest hesitation in putting Germany on the podium. I suppose if I liked Book of Unwritten Tales as much as some people do I could uphold that game as Germany’s überspiel or masterpiece, but I think they can do a lot better so I’m still holding my breath.

But if anyone is to prove a point, it would still come to a subjective taste: Is Moment of Silence better than most of US adventure games of ‘04? How many mysteries in ‘09 are better than The Black Mirror 2? Do you prefer episodic Telltale games to a Daedalic’s full-fledged?

Yes, of course it’s subjective, though I was asking you personally. I just thought that if, in your opinion, Germany is ‘hot’ right now it wouldn’t be simply because they produce and consume the most stuff. And I’m not sure if even that’s true.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

Telltale Games had better days. After the messy non adventures Jurassic Park and The Walking Dead the Adventure gaming world is not more focused on them. They have announced in the Past a series of King’s Quest games. If they ever become a reality then this will be good for them. There is no Doubt that the European games are better at the moment. Exception:Wadget Eye Games and Resonance. There is not much to discuss actually. These games might not be the all time classics like the games of Lucasarts and Sierra (and I agree that these are the best adventures ever)but they (and their developers) are the present, the future and the reason for a new gamer to focus on adventure games.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2011-10-09

PM

Germany have the greatest chance of becoming a leader in creating high quality and interesting adventure games. Lately I have noticed that most interesting U.S. games have their story set in Europe, so maybe Europeans finaly are taking their opportunities.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-08-16

PM

a country would be capital of ag if it had 2,3 or more “rival” companies that would compete and influence each other, thus creating games with distinctive design and quality.i dont believe that this is the case with any of these countries today…

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 15 August 2012 09:34 PM

Maybe US will take the lead once again, but until further notice that is the way it is.
with Daedalic Entertainment , Deck13 , Cranberry Production , Autumn Moon Entertainment , KING Art Games , Animation Arts ..... by Giving the Best Adventures out there for while.

Autumn Moon Entertainment is a US game development studio but rest of German developers gushing from all over the country.

3d-io Wiesbaden
Pherry Rodan

Animation Arts Creative Leipzig
Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Lost Horizon

Daedalic Hamburg
Harvey’s New Eyes
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Deponia
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
1954: Alcatraz
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Deck13 Frankfurt
Haunted
Jack Keane
Jack Keane 2
Black Sails
Ankh
Ankh: Battle of the Gods
Ankh: Heart of Osiris

Cranberry Hannover
The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura
Black Mirror II
Black Mirror III
Mata Hari

HEUREKA-Klett Stuttgart
Bioscopia: Where Science Conquers Evil
Chemicus: Journey to the Other Side
Physicus: Save the World with Science!

KING Art Bremen
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Critter Chronicles

Realmforge Munich
Ceville

Silver Style Berlin
Everlight: Of Magic & Power
Simon the Sorcerer 4
Simon the Sorcerer 5
Goin’ Downtown

Now who’s competing with Germany today US or UK,dont make me laugh.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

@borndrunk
why?was it true back in the day?if you don’t think we have a satisfying distribution in terms of countries producing AGs i ask you this….were there enough companies outside the US back then to be able to support that comparison?

unless of course you’re referring to rivals inside a specific country which was the case for the golden age.but that’s not really a big factor in determining an AG capitol.it doesn’t mean that if you don’t have enough rivals in your own country you can’t have success.the same applies to the golden age US companies.sure they influence each other but because there wasn’t anything of the sort back then.but again that doesn’t mean it’s the ony formula to success.i think it just comes down to the strength of the team not how many rivals they have.because even if there aren’t rivals in the same country there are rivals outside.at this point we don’t have a big enough market in each developer country to suggest they look at theirs only and sit back relaxed just because there’s no one else.at this point the AG market is the international.so there are plenty of rivals.

although i will concede that maybe back then the feeling towards others was more rivalry and now it seems more like friendly and cooperative ,not much competition going on.at least that’s what i think from what i’ve seen so far.and sometimes it is counterproductive if there isn’t competition.but i can say this i’m satisfied with games now.maybe i haven’t seen something better than my favourite but there are many games i consider very good.i don’t play a game thinking how it’s gonna fare comparing to the classics so i’m not disappointed if it doesn’t.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top