• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Advie,

What do you mean by “They’re what we’ve got”?

As mentioned by others, Daedalic games are mediocre to good at best…all ranging in AG reviews between 3 and 4 star games. Good, solid games, but no stand-out and not a single game in the AG TOP 100 list.

I take both this list and AG’s reviews quite seriously.

There are far better and more worthy mentions of recent adventures than anything Daedalic made sofar like:

- The Walking Dead (soon to be added to the TOP 100 most likely)
- Indies like Resonance, Primordia or Gemini Rue
- Testament of Sherlock Holmes (though I didn’t play it)
- Book of unwritten tales
- And even Botanicula

Daedalic games get consistent praise for mostly graphic design, but at the same time criticism on story and especially voice acting.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

subbi - 05 June 2013 06:06 AM

There are far better and more worthy mentions of recent adventures than anything Daedalic made sofar like:

- The Walking Dead (soon to be added to the TOP 100 most likely)
- Indies like Resonance, Primordia or Gemini Rue
- Testament of Sherlock Holmes (though I didn’t play it)
- Book of unwritten tales
- And even Botanicula

I’m no Daedelic fanboy but honestly, if there is a distinct class above them these games don’t belong there either. Good, yes, maybe even great, but top of the line? No. (I’m very partial to Botanicula but I also loved Edna & Harvey. ToSH was crap.)

I think what advie means is there are no universally loved games anymore, no masterpieces everyone loves - the TLJs, Grim Fandangos, Gabe Knights, Rivens. So we need to take what we can get, and if that is the “above average” then so be it.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I’d probably have to say that Telltale is the most “in the spotlight” company on Adventure games now and already been for quite some years.

They made some good games (and won 3 AGGIE year awards), but also some questionable titles aswel. Jurassic Park probably being the most awkward, but I can still enjoy it for what it is and forget about what it isn’t ;-)

You can criticize them for not staying with the original adventure game puzzle formula or even to only use existing licenses, but that is what kept them consistently in the spotlight, selling (moderately) well and most likely being the #1 Adventure game company right now!

If there is a AG developer of recent years that can compare remotely to the old Lucasarts/Sierra classics (albeit with a modernized touch), then Telltale is a much likelier candidate than Daedalic.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I like most of Daedalic’s games but I’m completely enamored with them. I’d put them in the “good” category. I haven’t played all of the games listed in the poll but of the ones that I have played the only one that I really adored was Edna and Harvey. TWW and Deponia were both just ok in my book. I will continue to buy and play their games.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

subbi - 05 June 2013 06:53 AM

I’d probably have to say that Telltale is the most “in the spotlight” company on Adventure games now and already been for quite some years.

They made some good games (and won 3 AGGIE year awards), but also some questionable titles aswel. Jurassic Park probably being the most awkward, but I can still enjoy it for what it is and forget about what it isn’t ;-)

You can criticize them for not staying with the original adventure game puzzle formula or even to only use existing licenses, but that is what kept them consistently in the spotlight, selling (moderately) well and most likely being the #1 Adventure game company right now!

If there is a AG developer of recent years that can compare remotely to the old Lucasarts/Sierra classics (albeit with a modernized touch), then Telltale is a much likelier candidate than Daedalic.

I wholeheartedly disagree!
If there is anyone you can’t compare to the old Lucasarts/Sierra classics then it is Telltale.
Many people still thing of Telltale as an adventure game company, but the simple truth is that they have abandoned AG, we can always discuss whether or not a game like TWD should be considered a subgenre of AG or not, but the simple truth is that with every new game, they are moving further and further away from AG and towards something different.

But this isn’t about Telltale, there are already plenty of threads about them.

Sefir - 05 June 2013 04:13 AM
AstroChicken - 04 June 2013 08:04 PM

For me the most important aspect of adventure games is the writing, and Daedalic is nothing to write home about in that department (accidental pun). Their stories are “good for a videogame”, but that’s not saying much.

Gasp

I can only assume that you never played The Whispered World or Chains of Satinav.

Or Edna & Harvey.

The quality of story varies from game to game, but i do believe that Daedalic has made some games with a great story.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Iznogood,

Telltale abandoned AG genre? That’s only by your narrow outdated definition of it.

At least they bothered going into the 21st century and apply game mechanics more suitable to todays audiences, instead of being stuck in the early 90’s with the then common pixel hunting gameplay.

I’m not saying that each Telltale title has been a success, but the Walking Dead is a monumental success, both in applying new AG game mechanics and in sales/popularity.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

subbi - 05 June 2013 02:25 PM

Iznogood,

Telltale abandoned AG genre? That’s only by your narrow outdated definition of it.

At least they bothered going into the 21st century and apply game mechanics more suitable to todays audiences, instead of being stuck in the early 90’s with the then common pixel hunting gameplay.

I’m not saying that each Telltale title has been a success, but the Walking Dead is a monumental success, both as a new AG game subgenre and in sales.

It is an unquestionable fact that Telltale is trying something new, that they are trying to create a new kind of game, exactly where it will all end is anybody’s guess, but my personal guess is that it will have nothing to do with AG.

But as i said, this isn’t the right thread for discussing Telltale, this thread is about Daedalic. If you want to discuss Telltale you should post in one of the Telltale threads instead.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In other (good?) news, Deck13 have just bought Cranberry Productions.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

With the recent release of The Rabbit’s Apprentice The Night of the Rabbit, it was time to “reset” the poll in this thread, especially since Chaos on Deponia wasn’t included before, and two “minor” Daedalic games weren’t all that relevant anymore (especially since one was a HOG).

The results before the reset of the poll were:
- The Whispered World - 10 votes
- Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - 8 votes
- A New Beginning - 6 votes
- The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - 4 votes
- Deponia - 4 votes
- Harvey’s New Eyes - 0 votes
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet - 0 votes
- 1 1/2 Ritter - 0 votes

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Although I had to vote for E&H (of course), I think Night of the Rabbit might be my new favourite ‘serious’ Daedelic game. Although I’m not thrilled with the casual aspects creeping in (sticker collecting, hidden objects, optional puzzles), the story and wonderful characters more than make up for that. Before NOTR I didn’t much like the serious Daedelic games and thought they should stick with humour. I know a lot of people won’t be happy with that because it would mean no Whispered World, A New Beginning or Chains of Satinav, but I still think they do better with lighter material. And I might not have to change my view, with NOTR being called a ‘children’s game’ - which I don’t really agree with.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 09 June 2013 10:14 PM

Before NOTR I didn’t much like the serious Daedelic games and thought they should stick with humour.

that is REALLY good news, isn’t it? , you know Oscar that for every Serious Adventure there are at least 3-4 Humor ones.
it seemed lately (or since Lucasarts Adventures) that Devs are afraid to give serious Adventure with that kind cartoony set, if it doesn’t look real enough as bladerunner Dreamfall Syberia, or Moment of silence then there is always risk from the Devs and incomfort from gamers .
but that is just stupid , with Games that had serious themes with cartoony set from the old Classics from Sierra’s ‘til Wadjet Eye Games , Cranberry(or its now DEck13)even to those sorta of light but serious games as Tale of a Hero proven that differently ... i hope the market for serious Adventure gets much more bigger and appealing even if it like said light serious adventures as Broken sword games… i really hope that Moebius and Broken age would change that and give courage for all Devs to do so in the upcoming years.

at last i wanted to add the serious adventure doesn’t necessarily mean Dark themes such Overclocked or Path of the dragon ... King’s Quest is a serious game still and Phantasmagoria is also a serious but there is a kind obvious difference between them both , but on the other side humorous Adventures are just humorous , what they tend to provide are the good/great laughs only.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I wanted to express my love to The Night of the Rabbit and to praise it as the the classic adventure of the modern time , but then i had just a clear simple idea to express and its
after The Night of the Rabbit i don’t need to worry about Adventure Gaming/Scene anymore with Deadalic Entertainment existing. 

what are those guys at Deadalic made of? REALLY!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Having literally just finished the Night of the Rabbit, I think they deserve a lot of praise. They seem to be maintaining a good level of quality in their games. For me personally, whenever I hear Deadalic announce a game, I usually don’t need much of a push to buy it now. The only ones I’ve been a bit “meh” on are the Deponia series. That’s not to say their not good mind, they just haven’t stood out like Night of the Rabbit and Whispered World to me.

Does anyone know how they are doing financially though? Do they see a decent return on what they put out? I know they use visionaire 2D for the games engine and that seems to be doing well for them.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I agree with both of you. Note that according to TNoTR’s ending, a sequel can easily be arranged… Not to mention the other Daedelic games to come (Deponia 3, 1954 Alcatraz, Memoria, etc)...

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 09 July 2013 07:26 PM

I agree with both of you.

ooooh , i am flattered !!!  Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top