• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 6 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oh, so that’s what that game is all about!...

I didn’t play King’s Quest III until the mid-90s, as part of one of the early KQ collections, so I went in knowing that Gwydion was Graham’s son. But supposedly, people who played the game at the time of its release didn’t know and only found out in the scene above — and I hope they were paying attention, because that one line is the only clue you get until Alex moons Rosella at the end of the game(*).

Unsurprisingly, both remakes(**) decided to let the cat out of the bag in the intro, since everyone knows about the mystery now. But even without the big reveal (and I’m not sure it was really necessary to hide who Gwydion was from the player), you have to applaud Roberta Williams for shaking things up with a new hero, as well as lots of new elements such as the spellmaking and the constant pressure of Manannan hovering over you. KQ2 might be the worst sequel in the history of sequels, but with KQ3 the series began constantly re-inventing itself and earned its place as a classic.

But that Oracle person really needs to get new digs. It looks very cramped in here.

(*) The AGDI remake made a very funny scene out of that bit.
(**) Note that I decided to use a scene from the original version, to avoid choosing between the two remakes.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

I have fond memories of playing this game as a kid. I really liked the new elements you mentioned - the feeling that you have to sneak around and hurry before the wizard comes home, finding all the ingredients for each spell. I thought KQ3 was a lot of fun!

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think KQ3 is the only one in series with those twists and turns and that what makes it unique than the others

But isnt that really such a neutral comment over that Gem Kuru Tongue .. way to go Bro   Content

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

J-Boo - 06 July 2012 11:11 AM

I have fond memories of playing this game as a kid. I really liked the new elements you mentioned - the feeling that you have to sneak around and hurry before the wizard comes home, finding all the ingredients for each spell. I thought KQ3 was a lot of fun!

Fun?! It was a nightmare. Death around every corner, dead ends wherever you turn, that darn wizard…

King’s Quest is probably my least favorite Sierra series, besides Conquests which I never played. I spent more time with Police Quest and LSL, which I didn’t really like much either.

Sorry Roberta…

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Oscar - 06 July 2012 11:39 AM
J-Boo - 06 July 2012 11:11 AM

Fun?! It was a nightmare. Death around every corner, dead ends wherever you turn, that darn wizard…

King’s Quest is probably my least favorite Sierra series, besides Conquests which I never played. I spent more time with Police Quest and LSL, which I didn’t really like much either.

Sorry Roberta…

LOL, I thought the spell casting and having to do things before the wizard returned was fun. I do also remember dying half a dozen times just trying to walk down the damn path, which was not so fun!

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Also, I remember my sister and I made a game based off of KQ3 to play around the hosue with our friends. We made a spellbook, then hid the “ingredients” (just the name of the ingredient written on a piece of paper) around the house. Then someone took on the role of the wizard and we would have to scramble around before he or she caught us. Good memories Smile

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I also have very good memories of KQ3. I played it in black-and-white on my Atari ST as soon as it was released. So many details and things I loved! The wizard punishing me, the talking animals, the nasty cat tripping me on the stairs, collecting all that stuff for the spells. It took me a long time to discover the secret hiding place under my bed, so the wizard caught me carrying magic objects every time he came home. Yes, coming down the mountain was terrible, even with the speed turned to slooooooow. I saved after every two or three steps. I also hated the bandits who came out of nowhere. Typing the spells was a bore and I made lots of typos, with interesting results. Smile

Afraid I don’t remember how I felt about the Rosella revelation in the cave. But you do get some info on Gwydion’s background by listenening to the birds and squirrels.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Prepare to be amazed: I have played only King’s Quest 8

(and haven’t even finished it. Okay, I did try a bits of KQ 6 and 7 as well, and I’m planning on doing the KQ marathon sooner or later (right after the Tex Murphy one Shifty Eyed),  but I think I’d go with remakes instead of originals in that case).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

diego - 06 July 2012 01:57 PM

(and haven’t even finished it. Okay, I did try a bits of KQ 6 and 7 as well, and I’m planning on doing the KQ marathon sooner or later (right after the Tex Murphy one Shifty Eyed),  but I think I’d go with remakes instead of originals in that case).

KQ8 is so totally different than the others. And in my humble opinion, it was absolutely awful!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 06 July 2012 01:57 PM

What’s so amazing about that? I have never played a King’s Quest game.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

While I’ve played most of the KQ games I never really liked any of them except from 5 and 6. Especially 5 was great.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’ve never really played any King’s Quest games but I really like The Silver Lining. It’s got a very good story with lots of unexpected twists and is perticularly well written with a very well developed mythology. It even manages to be a bit mature at some points Despite the fairytale setting which I don’t always like.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve never really liked ANY of the old Sierra games with their dead ends and their deaths-at-every-turn, so I have only played five minutes of the original King’s Quest game, and then I skipped everything else (until I played about half of KQVII which I actually liked).

I only found out that the storyline continued in this series about half a year ago. I didn’t know beforehand that all the characters were the same as in earlier titles.

And I’ve recently started playing the post-text-parser games (V-VI-VII). I moderately liked V (but used a walkthrough to avoid dead ends and a few stupid deaths) and am now playing VI which is actually quite good so far. And I already know that I’m going to like VII as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top