• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Datura (not Deponia) or Journey?

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-12-19

PM

Basically this is a question for people who have played both, Journey and Datura [not Deponia, as originally posted].

Which did you prefer? What is the approx game lenth of both? I plan to buy both eventually but only going to buy 1 for now. My PS3 camera for the MOVE is broken so I can’t play Datura in move version until I buy a replacement camera.

I have heard excellent things about Journey. I never played the previous game they made : Flower.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I enjoyed Deponia very much and haven’t played Journey. (I don’t have a PS.) So my advice is utterly useless, but I would go for Journey without thinking twice about it. I’ve read reviews and watched part of a playthrough on youtube. Looks novel and fascinating. And you can meet other people on your Journey. The older the game, the less chance of that.

In real life I know quite a few people with a DS, but I have no Playstation friends…  Embarassed

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Depends on your preference. I’d actually go with Deponia. It was a good game and I got more out of it. In Journey you just run around in the sand for a bit.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

had written sth but invalid…...i got confused thinking Journey ment A Journey Down…..Tongue

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

You’re wanting us to compare a fully fledged point and click adventure game to that stylish tech demo that was released on the PSN a few months ago, yeah?

Okay…. Journey is too short and there’s no significant obstacles or enemies.

While not as attractive as Journey, Deponia is a much meatier experience with more variety of places to explore and ‘things’ you can interact with.

Journey was 90 minutes for me and Deponia is looking like it might take me twelve hours.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

My PS3 camera for the MOVE is broken so I can’t play Deponia in move version until I buy a replacement camera.

Deponia’s out for PS3…? Or did you mean Journey here?

Deponia is a very traditional point and click game. Took me 11 hours. You can see my impressions in AG’s review.

I just played the Journey demo last week. It seems very freeform, “figure out what to do on your own.” Of course that could change as it goes along (I sort of doubt it though). It reminded me a bit of Myst as far as being plopped down in an area and having to fend for yourself and figure out the “rules.”

So I would think it depends on what you’re in the mood for - a cartoon game that’s very traditional gameplay-wise, or something more new-agey that’s more of an experience with non-traditional gameplay.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

“In Journey you just run around in the sand for a bit.”

“stylish tech demo”

Such awful ways to mischaracterize such a beautiful game. Are you sure you guys should be recommending games to people? Journey may be short but that’s quite different from implying it’s just some fluffy tech demo.

Here’s a good review of Journey:
http://www.giantbomb.com/journey/61-31772/reviews/

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

lol yeah well that’s why I said it depends on your preference Tongue If you’re the type of person who just likes to run around aimlessly in the sand, then you’ll love Journey.  Nerd

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Journey is beautiful, insightful, and filled with potential. Its also about 2 hours long. At the price of $15 i’d consider waiting for another version with more content.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zane - 02 July 2012 01:16 PM

Journey is beautiful, insightful, and filled with potential. Its also about 2 hours long. At the price of $15 i’d consider waiting for another version with more content.

Yeah, that’s the same thing so many people said about Dear Esther. The familiar “dollar value divided by number of hours equals quality of experience” attitude. Wrong!  Tongue

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Oh Marek… The emperor has no clothes. Frown

EDIT: OP, if you’re still interested in playing Journey’s brand of ‘art’ - I recommend you buy Ico instead. It came out for the PS3 in a HD pack with Shadow of the Colossus so it’s a much better experience with much better value for money.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Journey was a great experience and while yeah, it’s short, it’s also good 100 % of the time, no filler stuff.

I’ll be getting Deponia myself soon though. It seems like a great game and I love the graphics.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Fien - 02 July 2012 04:44 AM

I enjoyed Deponia very much and haven’t played Journey. (I don’t have a PS.) So my advice is utterly useless, but I would go for Journey without thinking twice about it. I’ve read reviews and watched part of a playthrough on youtube.

Wait a second…  Shifty Eyed

Fien - 22 June 2012 10:56 PM

How you think you can judge the game’s writing and voiceacting with those two guys having a dialogue and commenting on everything is totally beyond me! Why would you spoil your own fun like that anyway...

Fien - 22 June 2012 11:36 PM

Sure, you can read and hear the dialogue. But watching a walkthrough of a game, watching the puzzles being solved, doesn’t come close to playing it yourself. And do you really think the intrusive comments of those two guys are not influencing your perception of the game…? Sorry, I don’t understand this and I never will.

Glad to see you’ve come around, I suppose?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sigh. You’re simply trying to be obnoxious, right? Of course I have NOT come around. First of all, I didn’t judge specific aspects of the entire game based on a few minutes of gameplay. I didn’t say things like Orient said about Resonance (quote) I had higher hopes for the writing and voice acting.

Secondly, if it had been available on PC I would have bought it after watching the trailer and nothing else. I usually don’t even read an entire review beforehand, only the summary and score, for fear of spoilers. After 5-7 minutes, I stopped watching Journey on youtube - a video without any comments*, just the music. I’ve already spent a lot of money on those wonderful Kickstarter projects, which I can afford, but enough is enough: I wouldn’t dream of buying a Playstation just to play Journey and Flower. But I can still hope that one day someone will let me use their PS3… Smile

*I found Giant Bomb’s quick look at Resonance more than just a bit annoying. Two guys who are convinced their stupid hihihi and empty comments are more interesting than the game. In the intro people are falling from a skyscraper: “Oh look, it is dripping people!” The moment Dr. Morales answered the phone: “I’m not buying his accent!” Yeah, right… reminds me of Jonathan Boakes in The Lost Crown, who was accused of overdoing his fake British accent…  Tongue

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Right, unpleasant as ever, I see. The old forums had an ignore option…

Not that this is remotely relevant to this topic, but if I remember correctly, Dr. Morales is played by Francisco Gonzalez, who doesn’t actually have a Latin-American accent (though I think he did a great job both with the accent and acting). Check out

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

After a brisk nap - 03 July 2012 10:35 AM

Right, unpleasant as ever, I see.

And how would you qualify your own “glad to see you’ve come around, I suppose?”. Pan

The old forums had an ignore option…

Look, sweetiepie. YOU are the one who started this, although we have both known for ages that we don’t like each other. And now you’re complaining because you’ve been proven wrong? Heh. But do I have great news for you! The new forums also have an ignore option. Smile Use it! Throw me in the ice cellar!

Not that this is remotely relevant to this topic, but if I remember correctly, Dr. Morales is played by Francisco Gonzalez, who doesn’t actually have a Latin-American accent (though I think he did a great job both with the accent and acting). Check out

Thank you. Very informative, but like you said, hardly relevant to two adolescents screaming murder without even bothering to listen to anything being said.

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top