• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which game kicked your ass back in the day?

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

For me, Riven. Game just owned me hard back in the day when it released to where I sadly never got back to it.

Its on my agenda once I get thru the new realMyst release, and then really sit with it and give it its due.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BrokenSword Syria , Kebab guy puzzle.

Laptop figure puzzles in GK3.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I remember being gloriously stuck at various points in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  Didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the game one bit.  Granted, I was 6 years old at the time, but still.  I think I got the hintbook for my birthday the following year.  Still one of my favorite Lucasarts games though—love all the alternate solutions, especially at the end of the game.

I also remember being stumped on the Monkey Island 2 spitting contest puzzle for a long time before I “accidentally” did it correctly when the wind happened to be blowing when I clicked to spit.  I think it took me another playthrough before I realized why it had worked.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also had trouble with Monkey Island 2, not only the spit puzzle but other places also.
Had a lot of trouble with Space Quest IV - kept dying everywhere.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh I agree on Riven completely. Really loved the world, atmosphere, exploration, but the game was so huge and hard that I finally gave up. Haven’t played it since, really should.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh. So, so many. King’s Quest series, for one. I never finished any of them except VI with the help of a walkthrough. I don’t know why I found KQ so difficult because I got through SQ and QFG without too much trouble.

I didn’t get along with Neuromancer very well, although I enjoyed it a lot.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-01-03

PM

Savatage79 - 26 June 2014 01:54 PM

For me, Riven. Game just owned me hard back in the day when it released to where I sadly never got back to it.

Its on my agenda once I get thru the new realMyst release, and then really sit with it and give it its due.

Riven was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the subject heading. I spent weeks and weeks on it with little progress and growing frustrated and tired ended up going to a walkthrough to solve the bulk of the game.

Though several years later with more adventure game experience and having essentially forgotten the solutions, I gave it another go and found it a completely different and refreshing experience. It was still challenging, of course, but I found myself making steady progress and solved the game on my own (save for that one pesky clue to the animal sound puzzle). I hope your second attempt is equally enjoyable.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I’ll second Kings Quest. Finished pretty much every other sierra Quest game without too much hassle, but the Kings Quest games were difficult.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Back in the days Bad Day On The Midway served me some nausea.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

UFOs. That game made absolutely no sense and I was still hard-headed enough to confuse that with challenge.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

A lot of the Sierra games come to mind.
Fortunately, I had a group of hardcore gamer guy friends who stubbornly played for hours until they cracked the code. Wink

I was also lost for a while on the MI2 spitting contest!

And the first time I played Fate of Atlantis and had to navigate that *** sub into the dock - jeezus christ!! Not good for my blood pressure.

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gabe - 27 June 2014 01:56 AM

I may be dumb again (am still reeling from yesterday’s stupidity) but Bad Day doesn’t even have puzzles!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Gabe - 27 June 2014 01:56 AM

I’m not surprised. Midway is one of the most terrifying games ever made.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Terrifying but moving too. Some of those stories were so sad.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Myst 3 made me get a walkthrough - beautiful game but VERY complex puzzles.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Space Quest, to the point where after hundreds of tries, I STILL couldn’t escape from that spider-robot-thingy that chases you early in the game. Made me loathe Space Quest.

KGB / Conspiracy. I never made it to day two, despite abusing the Donald Sutherland hint system (which isn’t nearly helpful enough).

Good thing I have internet (and thus walkthrough) access nowadays… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top