• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Point-and-click adventure game recommendations from the last 14 years or so?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

alkaline - 30 June 2012 02:11 PM

how has nobody mentioned The Legend of Kyrandia?
one of the greatest point & click games ever conceived.
this game is sooo underrated.  it does classic adventure perfectly!

It’s not from the last 14 years. Great games though!

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

HandsFree - 30 June 2012 07:03 AM

I wouldn’t start with Overseer. It ends on a cliffhanger that wil hopefully be resolved in next year’s game and it’s generally considered the least of the big three.
For a good introduction start with Under A Killing Moon or else just play the best one, Pandora Directive. :)

Interesting, I had heard that it ends on a cliffhanger, but is mostly a remake of Mean Streets in flashbacks style. Figured it’d be cool to start with that, then play the other two after, even better if they’re even better.

Unless there’s anything that particularly spoils the plot of Killing Moon or Pandora in Overseer.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-06-21

PM

Hector: Badge of Carnage might be good for you.  It’s like a more-raunchy-than-weird, British Sam & Max—published by the same company, as well.  To me, it’s not nearly as funny as Sam & Max but it did get a few gut laughs from time to time.

If that’s not for you, the Sherlock Holmes crossover series starring, well, Sherlock Holmes, by Frogware, aren’t too shabby.  Sometimes the budget really shows, but the last entry in the series—Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper—is very, very well written.  The installment that came out before that one—Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis/Versus Arsene Lupin—however, is my absolute favorite.

Y’know what?  They really need to make more Arsene Lupin adventure games.

Anyway, Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People might be up there for you—I suggest playing a demo beforehand, though.  Most Telltale Games in general take a few episodes to really get into their own swing.  The last two episodes of Wallace and Gromit are pretty good.  The first two, not so much.

Tales of Monkey Island, Curse of Monkey Island, and the special editions of Secret and Lechuck’s Revenge really all bring life to the series.  Voice acting is now across all of the titles, and the looks are now really polished, if cartoony.  What else can I say?  They’re classics.

And while I’m at it, I’m just gonna say Grim Fandango.  One of my favorite games ever, easily.

And lastly, I don’t want to recommend Lost Horizon, but it really captures an Indiana Jones-y adventure feeling.  Most of the characters are pretty colorful and it makes a good job with the exploring.  There’s also other stuff by Deep Silver, like Perry Rhodan and the Immortals of Terra (which was recommended to me by the awesome folks here, and what can I say?  I really liked it).

That’s all I got.

“It’s like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!”

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-06-30

PM

Being that you like Quest for glory games. There’s a free fan game called Heroine’s Quest being made. Not sure when it comes out though but hopefully soon.
Cosmos Quest 1,2,3 and 4 all free fan games.
crystal shard has some good free games A tale of two kingdoms, Quest for Yrolg, Quasar and Warthogs.
I also recommend The Back to the future game made by telltale games.

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

Ringed Raygun - 30 June 2012 08:50 PM

That’s all I got.

Surely there’s always more adventure games?  Cool

I am on board with the TellTale Sam & Max and all the Monkey Island stuff, but aside from those I hadn’t played a new point-and-click adventure game in a looong time. I’ve played Grim and whatnot.

I’m more of a Lupin III fan than of his grandpa Arsene Lupin though.  Wink I can see the appeal, but I don’t know if those Holmes games are up my alley.

Hector definitely looks cool, I’ll get on those for sure.

Also I just got Simon the Sorcerer on GoG, very oldschool and I’d heard good things, but missed it for some reason.

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

daleks13 - 30 June 2012 09:44 PM

Being that you like Quest for glory games. There’s a free fan game called Heroine’s Quest being made. Not sure when it comes out though but hopefully soon.
Cosmos Quest 1,2,3 and 4 all free fan games.
crystal shard has some good free games A tale of two kingdoms, Quest for Yrolg, Quasar and Warthogs.
I also recommend The Back to the future game made by telltale games.

Very cool, I’ll keep an eye on Heroine’s Quest. I’m excited for Quest for Infamy too. Thanks for the recommendations, I gotta check these games out.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-01

PM

Hello,

I would recommend Black Mirror I, II, and III

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’d actually recommend the Secret Files series - 1 and 2.

Grin

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

HandsFree - 29 June 2012 06:14 AM

Didn’t like TLJ either so I can relate. First thing I can say is stay away from Syberia.

I’m not that keen on TLJ either, yet I love Syberia.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would recommend “Ghost Trick” as well, it is a modern classic that has won many many awards. All of them well deserved.

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top