• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 28 June 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I love Loom. That is all.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Loom is THE first adventure for me. Sure there was some dabbling with Larry’s and stuff, mainly watching my older brother play. But Loom I played all by myself and really got into the story. It’s possible I would have never really gotten the chance to fall in love with adventure games without this experience, or at least it might have happened a lot later.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I never got beyond that tornado at sea (tried a couple of times and got stuck at exactly the same place, not wanting to use a walkthrough or ask for help). Loom can be run by ScummVM and that’s what I like about it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Loom was great, albeit very short. But the way the voices were stored on the disc, it couldn’t really be much longer or it wouldn’t fit on a cd any more. Compression FTW! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Oh yes, I love Loom, especially the true EGA version. And also Tchaikovsky was put to good use.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Arial Type - 28 June 2012 12:43 PM

the true EGA version

That’s how I feel about it too, even though I know I shouldn’t. The FM-Towns version is certainly the “best” version of the game(*), but when I felt like replaying the game a few months ago, I picked the EGA version with the AdLib soundtrack, because that’s the version I played numerous time when I was younger. I normally hate nostalgia, but what can you do?...

(*) The PC CD version is an abomination and, much like the CD version on KQ5, I like to pretend that it doesn’t exist.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The whole thing about the notes and lesser amount of dialogue made the game quite easy for me as I was very young and barely knew any English. I am horrible at sound puzzles but I could totally follow the cords in Loom.

I played this on Amiga500 and I really should replay, I seriously haven’t played it for 20 years. How much of an abomination is that Steam version and is the game legally obtainable from anywhere else?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

millenia - 28 June 2012 01:42 PM

How much of an abomination is that Steam version and is the game legally obtainable from anywhere else?

They stored all the audio as a CD track, which forced them to compress the dialogue and remove most of the music (which is such an essential part of the game). And the edited dialogue wasn’t written by the original writer (I think Brian Moriarty had already left LucasArts at this point); the writers in charge of the rewrite not only compressed the material, they also made numerous changes affecting the tone of the game.

Unfortunately, I think that’s the only version that’s available legally. So I guess it’s between you and your conscience.

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

I introduced my younger cousin to most of the LucasArts titles when he was seven or eight, but I had hesitated playing Loom with him because of the (what I thought were) violent and frightening scenes later in the game. Silly me, worrying about traumatizing his young psyche, he thought those scenes were “awesome!” Nerd I wish I had kept the cute handwritten notes he made of the different drafts, though. Mini Smile) I can’t recall if I ever played the game on Expert level.

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top