• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

HeXit - Point and Click Sci-fi Adventure Game on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Erwin_Br - 10 June 2012 07:24 PM
Frogacuda - 10 June 2012 03:48 PM

A lot of goddamn people.

You are out of your mind if you think Double Fine Adventure doesn’t at least make a few million dollars in profits after it’s released.

Yikes, did I hurt your feelings or something? Sure, my statements might have been unfounded, based on nothing but speculation, but dude you seriously need to lighten up.

I’m just being emphatic, not hostile. But I’m from New Jersey and that’s how we talk :p

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Frogacuda - 10 June 2012 07:28 PM
Erwin_Br - 10 June 2012 07:24 PM
Frogacuda - 10 June 2012 03:48 PM

A lot of goddamn people.

You are out of your mind if you think Double Fine Adventure doesn’t at least make a few million dollars in profits after it’s released.

Yikes, did I hurt your feelings or something? Sure, my statements might have been unfounded, based on nothing but speculation, but dude you seriously need to lighten up.

I’m just being emphatic, not hostile. But I’m from New Jersey and that’s how we talk :p

Ah, that’s good to know. I’ll remember that for next time Wink

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

zane - 10 June 2012 04:09 PM
bulak - 10 June 2012 03:47 PM

This game is mainly targeted for men, so it’d make sense to put a male as the main role.

I’m not funding just because of that.

I do hope you realize why thats a terrible reason.

I hope he is not serious.

1. Adventure genre is one of the clearly more girly game genres there is.
2. Many men actually prefer to look good looking females instead of bulky male heroes.
3. Most people don’t care about the sex as long as the character is actually good.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

millenia - 11 June 2012 02:50 PM

This game is mainly targeted for men, so it’d make sense to put a male as the main role.

2. Many men actually prefer to look good looking females instead of bulky male heroes.
3. Most people don’t care about the sex as long as the character is actually good.

1. On what are you basing this claim? It makes no sense to me. I’ve rarely seen girls that play adventure games. On the other hand, Facebook games, The Sims, Barbie, My Pony and such are played by millions of girls. That’s what I’d call a “clearly girly genre”.
2. Well, nowadays, where men become women, and women become men and such I got to agree with you. I am, however, old-fashioned. I don’t want to play with a “bulky male hero”, Leisure Suit Larry is one of my favorite characters of all time. It just got to be male and not the cliche lusty heroin with big tits and pouty lips.
3. Sorry, I (and many) do.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

bulak - 11 June 2012 03:39 PM

1. On what are you basing this claim? It makes no sense to me. I’ve rarely seen girls that play adventure games. On the other hand, Facebook games, The Sims, Barbie, My Pony and such are played by millions of girls. That’s what I’d call a “clearly girly genre”.
2. Well, nowadays, where men become women, and women become men and such I got to agree with you. I am, however, old-fashioned. I don’t want to play with a “bulky male hero”, Leisure Suit Larry is one of my favorite characters of all time. It just got to be male and not the cliche lusty heroin with big tits and pouty lips.

1. There are lots of female adventure gamers, myself included.  The adventure genre has been seen by the gaming industry as a genre that is preferred by female gamers for years.
2+3 That’s silly. When you play a game, the character isn’t yourself, so why does it matter what sex the protagonist is?  It’s just like a movie.  Would you not watch a film because the lead role is female?

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh dear. You actually started arguing with this, which is just your personal and totally groundless argument. If you really are trying to break down my short responses for their inaccuracy, you actually could have reasoned your opinion with something else than “I don’t like it and thus most of my gender won’t either”.

Girly doesn’t mean rainbows and unicorns here, it means that the genre is one of the few that has a lot of female players. And you can be as old fashioned as you want, it doesn’t mean that everyone should cater to you, especially when you are basically saying “screw the female gamers”. Also lots of people don’t see the irrelevance of gender as a feminism or a sexual minority issue, as they are not chauvinists themselves. It’s just one attribute among others.

If you don’t like big tits and pouty lips (I don’t find the heroine that bad but haven’t seen her in movement yet) why are you whining about the gender? The protagonist could surely also be a less openly sexual woman. Either way, sexy female protagonists aren’t even that common in adventure games.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

JenniBee - 12 June 2012 12:20 AM

1. There are lots of female adventure gamers, myself included.  The adventure genre has been seen by the gaming industry as a genre that is preferred by female gamers for years.
2+3 That’s silly. When you play a game, the character isn’t yourself, so why does it matter what sex the protagonist is?  It’s just like a movie.  Would you not watch a film because the lead role is female?

1. A lot of girls play or used to play Counter Strike. Does that make it a girly game too?
2+3. I will answer that with an example (which is valid for any game): I just finished Max Payne 3, and I got say, what a masterpiece of a game, one of the best I’ve ever played. Max is an ex-cop and his family was murdered by criminals some time ago. Now in Brazil, working as a bodyguard, he is a boozer and fat and is fighting street gangs and corruption all over. Along the story and the shootout, he makes a lot of witty remarks about his life and the crime and misery that surrounds him in a sarcastic and poetic way that I just LMFAO all the time.

Now, picture if this game were Nancy Payne instead, what would it be like? Nancy, with her big tits and pouty lips (obviously) would jump 10m high, fight all martial arts and shoot better than the best shooter in the world, just like Lara Croft. And her “witty remarks” would be like “Oh, Ken is coming to my place tonight! I got to be very pretty today and make a sexy makeup and show him my cleavage!”

For my taste, it just wouldn’t fit.

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

millenia - 12 June 2012 12:20 AM

Oh dear. You actually started arguing with this, which is just your personal and totally groundless argument. If you really are trying to break down my short responses for their inaccuracy, you actually could have reasoned your opinion with something else than “I don’t like it and thus most of my gender won’t either”.

Girly doesn’t mean rainbows and unicorns here, it means that the genre is one of the few that has a lot of female players. And you can be as old fashioned as you want, it doesn’t mean that everyone should cater to you, especially when you are basically saying “screw the female gamers”. Also lots of people don’t see the irrelevance of gender as a feminism or a sexual minority issue, as they are not chauvinists themselves. It’s just one attribute among others.

If you don’t like big tits and pouty lips (I don’t find the heroine that bad but haven’t seen her in movement yet) why are you whining about the gender? The protagonist could surely also be a less openly sexual woman. Either way, sexy female protagonists aren’t even that common in adventure games.

I didn’t start anything nor do I think that “everyone should cater to me”. I said that I didn’t like the protagonist and I’m not funding because of that. That’s a right I own. Sorry if you think otherwise.

Also, I never said “screw the female gamers”. On the contrary, I play a lot of Wii with my girlfriend and we laugh a lot at it. I teach her a lot of games. Don’t make assumptions about me based on your prejudices.

Just the fact that in every game that the main role is a female and she has always to be sexy, beautiful, curvy and intelligent is sexist in itself. If a game had an ugly, fat and despicable woman as the protagonist and I thought it was cool I could happily play it. I’m just tired of this cliché.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

bulak - 12 June 2012 02:47 AM

Now, picture if this game were Nancy Payne instead, what would it be like? Nancy, with her big tits and pouty lips (obviously) would jump 10m high, fight all martial arts and shoot better than the best shooter in the world, just like Lara Croft. And her “witty remarks” would be like “Oh, Ken is coming to my place tonight! I got to be very pretty today and make a sexy makeup and show him my cleavage!”

Way to make a point by taking a stereotype and having it go through the worst writing ever.

If Rockstar had given Max Payne lousy dialogue, it wouldn’t have fit either. Nothing to do with the gender.
And definitely nothing to do with these godawful stereotypes you’re throwing around in here. Not every female protagonist in games is Lara Croft, and even Croft was written a lot better than your mock example.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

zane - 10 June 2012 12:34 PM

This is wishful thinking, mark my words. Theyr asking for 75k, and theyr doing a boxed version at $70. Either somthing is severely fishy or they plan to do 4 of these fundraisers.

I don’t see any signs of that. It’s clear that they’ve been working on the game for a while with funding of their own, which is quite common on Kickstarter.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

bulak - 12 June 2012 02:53 AM

I didn’t start anything nor do I think that “everyone should cater to me”. I said that I didn’t like the protagonist and I’m not funding because of that. That’s a right I own. Sorry if you think otherwise.

Also, I never said “screw the female gamers”. On the contrary, I play a lot of Wii with my girlfriend and we laugh a lot at it. I teach her a lot of games. Don’t make assumptions about me based on your prejudices.

Just the fact that in every game that the main role is a female and she has always to be sexy, beautiful, curvy and intelligent is sexist in itself. If a game had an ugly, fat and despicable woman as the protagonist and I thought it was cool I could happily play it. I’m just tired of this cliché.

If you had done as you say in the bold part, no one would have said anything against you. Instead you state that the game is aimed for male audience and thus it basically should have a male protagonist. And this is the only reason why you will not pledge.

I notice a slight difference with those two statements. Do you think sexy, generic females are made for female players? Really? And where are all those horrible sex objects with big titties anyway? I don’t really see that many of them - especially not in adventure games. And you don’t really know anything about this character either, just that she looks overly sexy. With that, the remark towards homosexuals, your condescending attitude with girl gamers in Facebook and “teaching” your gf to play, and your obnoxious examples, I don’t exactly find you without prejudice.

Again, if it’s just about the tits why do you insist a male protagonist and especially for males. Not that I am particularly interested in your reasoning anymore. You could also tell where are all those butt ugly and horrible male protagonists. Other than Hector I don’t really know many, and all of the ones I can think of make fun of the guy anyway.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

2+3. I will answer that with an example (which is valid for any game): I just finished Max Payne 3, and I got say, what a masterpiece of a game, one of the best I’ve ever played. Max is an ex-cop and his family was murdered by criminals some time ago. Now in Brazil, working as a bodyguard, he is a boozer and fat and is fighting street gangs and corruption all over. Along the story and the shootout, he makes a lot of witty remarks about his life and the crime and misery that surrounds him in a sarcastic and poetic way that I just LMFAO all the time.

It’s stereotypical to think that a good looking woman only thinks of dating men and looking beautiful.  That stereotype doesn’t fit any game I’ve ever played.  What game has women like that?  Lara Croft doesn’t even speak and act that way, and she’s your example.

HeXit’s protaganist, Jane Davis, is a police lieutenant who finds herself hunted and doesn’t know who she can trust, even in the police department.  It wouldn’t make sense if she wasn’t an intelligent woman.  A character in the Leisure Suit Larry or Hector mold would not fit this role.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

millenia - 12 June 2012 10:44 AM

If you had done as you say in the bold part, no one would have said anything against you. Instead you state that the game is aimed for male audience and thus it basically should have a male protagonist. And this is the only reason why you will not pledge.

I notice a slight difference with those two statements. Do you think sexy, generic females are made for female players? Really? And where are all those horrible sex objects with big titties anyway? I don’t really see that many of them - especially not in adventure games. And you don’t really know anything about this character either, just that she looks overly sexy. With that, the remark towards homosexuals, your condescending attitude with girl gamers in Facebook and “teaching” your gf to play, and your obnoxious examples, I don’t exactly find you without prejudice.

Sometimes I wish the forum had a “like” button.  Smile

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

millenia - 12 June 2012 10:44 AM

Again, if it’s just about the tits why do you insist a male protagonist and especially for males. Not that I am particularly interested in your reasoning anymore. You could also tell where are all those butt ugly and horrible male protagonists. Other than Hector I don’t really know many, and all of the ones I can think of make fun of the guy anyway.

Oohh the drama. You make it sound so evil and melodramatic just because I personally don’t like to play as females. But I don’t blame you, it is sign of the times with all this political correctness trend we are living. 

I said it is aimed for male audience simply because I believe there are way more active male gamers (not counting casual games) than there are females! Can I have the right to dislike playing as females now? Thank you very much.

The “sex objects with big titties” are all over the place. There is a lot of influence from Anime and Hentai and this kind of stuff, especially in games like World of Warcraft where many female characters are like I said and use some kind of “lingerie armor”. Why there are ‘men’ that find it cool to play as a overly lusty woman “dressed to kill” like that is beyond me.

And pardon me. But am I sexist because I “teach” (yes, in quotes) my gf how to play? How silly of me, I thought I was doing something nice to her! And excuse me, If you see me with all this prejudice we might have something in common to share. I can see you screaming and picketing in a “Femen” protest like “No more prostitution!” and “United girls will win!”.

I picture that in a not so distant future, there will be a game with a siliconed busty transsexual as the heroine and someone will say “I don’t want to play” and there will come people like you and “What??? How come, you chauvinist pig!”.

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

JenniBee - 12 June 2012 12:26 PM

It’s stereotypical to think that a good looking woman only thinks of dating men and looking beautiful.  That stereotype doesn’t fit any game I’ve ever played.  What game has women like that?  Lara Croft doesn’t even speak and act that way, and she’s your example.

HeXit’s protaganist, Jane Davis, is a police lieutenant who finds herself hunted and doesn’t know who she can trust, even in the police department.  It wouldn’t make sense if she wasn’t an intelligent woman.  A character in the Leisure Suit Larry or Hector mold would not fit this role.

There is a game that has lots of these “stereotypes”. It’s called “Real Life”.
At least where I live, It’s something like that. And don’t get me wrong, it’s an empirical statement.

Alright, I’ve never played any Lara Croft game. But I saw screenshots and the movie, which I will refrain from saying anything Grin
But about HeXit. It didn’t appeal to me so I’m not pledging. But, go ahead, Jenni, if you enjoyed it, pledge it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top