• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1st person adventures in decline?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

When you look at the list of upcoming games, most are 3rd person. This is disappointing to me, as the 1st person adventure genre is easily my favorite type of game to play.

Any ideas why this is happening? Are they harder to make? Don’t sell as much? Less popular than 3rd person games?

What do you think?

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

I think both slideshow and 360-degree epochs are gone. They didn’t age well compared to 3rd person 2D. Real-time 3D is the only way to continue with 1st person, and very few developers bother to use it. I don’t know if it’s a matter of money, since there are plenty of 3D engines lying around. Probably it takes too much time and effort to work with.

I think Frictional Games are doing great though. I would also like to see what will come out of the new Tex Murphy.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Arial Type - 03 June 2012 01:54 AM

I think both slideshow and 360-degree epochs are gone.

Such a pity. Yoomurjak’s Ring was my favorite game of the decade. Simply wonderful, charming game. Apparently there’s an upcoming AGON game but I haven’t heard much about it and the last one was in 2007. I think RHEM is still very much alive though.

I think Frictional Games are doing great though. I would also like to see what will come out of the new Tex Murphy.

I would be happy if we got more 3D games like Amnesia and Darkness Within 2. The old Tex Murphy engine was frustrating I must admit, and if there’s a new one it’s bound to have a new engine.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Surely there will be a myst kickstarter at some point Smile

There are still a few first person games on the way, but I don’t think they sell as well as 3rd person story focused games.

Asylum
Project Fedora
Testement of Sherlock Holmes
Promenince
Amnesia sequel
Coven
Bracken Tor and Wychwood Hollow both From Shadow Tor Studios
The Last Crown and The First Crown (Both sequels to The Lost Crown)
Still making Nancy Drew and Carol Reed games.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The Last Crown and The First Crown are 3rd-person adventures.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Ah well I assumed they were like Dark Fall and 1st person.

Maybe I should actually get round to playing Lost Crown one of these days.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

I think it’s simply because most adventure games are story-driven and require a protagonist that’s not just a player stand-in and who you can see interacting with the environment. It’s much harder to characterize a first person protagonist than a third person one, which is why first person adventures tend to involve a “blank slate” character (Amnesia, Myst) whose background may be slowly revealed through the story, or an already well-defined one (Frogware’s Sherlock Holmes games).

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Oscar - 03 June 2012 03:00 AM

Such a pity. Yoomurjak’s Ring was my favorite game of the decade. Simply wonderful, charming game. Apparently there’s an upcoming AGON game but I haven’t heard much about it and the last one was in 2007. I think RHEM is still very much alive though.

Rhem and Agon are very niche products to influence anything. Maybe if Cyan returns to the big market… But I doubt it. Their late games weren’t much of success even in full 3D.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There’ll probably be more attention paid to this genre once Jonathan Blow releases The Witness this year

I’m surprised first person adventure games never really took off besides Myst. Modern action games like Fallout 3 have pretty intricate inventory systems - adventure could fit in well with that style. It just goes to show how poisonous the word ‘adventure’ is to some investors.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

They’ve been in decline for a while, now they are virtually non-existent, especially anything that is not horror/suspensed based. I started a thread here about the same thing at GB:
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/812427/Why_are_there_so_few_1st_perso.html#Post812427

Now that we established the lack of these games, any ideas as to why?
Are they too difficult to make - given the puzzles and environments?
Is it an overall lack of adventure market that is squeezing this niche even tighter?
Is there a perception that Casual IHOGs fill the void?
Are these games viewed as old fashioned and a step backwards for adventures?

I’m looking particularly at 1st person fantasy puzzlers like Myst, Obsidian, Timelapse, Riddle of the Sphinx, Atlantis games, Schizm, Rhea, Rama, Chronomaster, etc. Currently, there really is only the Rhem 5 game on the horizon.

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

I would really like to see a new Zork game in the vein of Grand Inquisitor. Where the hell is Matt Harding? Maybe he is tired of dancing around the world and ready for a new game Smile

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well for one Asylum is gonna be a quality experience and for another Senscape is gonna release Dagon as an opensource engine and unless i’m mistaken this is only gonna be for 1st person games.i think there’s gonna be a rise after that seeing as the engine itself seems very good in terms of performance.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

jhetfield21 - 03 June 2012 10:43 AM

well for one Asylum is gonna be a quality experience and for another Senscape is gonna release Dagon as an opensource engine and unless i’m mistaken this is only gonna be for 1st person games.i think there’s gonna be a rise after that seeing as the engine itself seems very good in terms of performance.

Colpet is right though - there’s virtually nothing on offer for people who don’t like horror. The only ones I can think of are AGON and RHEM, both very good but very much niche games that you either love or hate.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

maybe but i was making a prediction i wasn’t talking about what kind of games there are out there.i just think that this engine is going to kick ass and since it’s gonna be open source it’s gonna get a lot of attention.the genre of the games that will be made by using Dagon are purely the creator’s choice.Also I can think of one more 1st person that wasn’t horror.rather a mystery,Secrets of DaVinci.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top