• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielNeuromancer.utopian

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gray Matter question (spoilers!)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

When Gray Matter came out I was underwhelmed and got so bored that I stopped playing in chapter 3. Last week I finally decided to play the entire game. The game really picked up after chapter 3 and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, although my list of nits I have to pick is pretty long. Sealed Lips

Went back to the old forums just now to do a search on the GM player comments. Very strange to see only my own name logged at the bottom of the page. Man, did I feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend! The only living human being in New York surrounded by zombies. Cry

Anyway, here’s my question. In the intro the new assistant is scared out of her wits and she runs back to the car. Is that simply a weird face or is it supposed to look like David Styles? Is this Angela’s doing? If so, why? She doesn’t try to scare Sam off. 

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think it was an illusion made by Angela using a cat which magically produced that weird face .. and about why she didnt do the same to Sam, i guess maybe because sam comings with a mistake in the 1st place, Angela might had no collecting over her or what so ever .

plus that Sam watched all that (all what happened to the real new assistant) which proves its an illusion she didnt give a damn or move an inch ,anyways so maybe it was too late to scare her off or the way she approached the door after the new assistant ran off, was enough to make Angela think twice!.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

The same question was asked somehere, i think it was in the old thread?
The answer was given by someone who played a beta-version in which some of the picturers are replaced and explained by text. The misterious thing seems to be a plastic bag flying in the storm.
I dont have internet (only at work) so i cant verify the above.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Yes it was asked by me. And I got told that I hadn’t understood most of the game Smile.
The mysterious being in the beginning is Angela. She doesn’t want David to have another assistant than her, but for various reasons he hasn’t really noticed her efforts to come closer to him.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

A plastic bag flying in the wind! As in American Beauty? Gasp What a disappointment. Makes the intro even more contrived: storm causing road signs to point in the wrong direction (in this day and age), new assistant practicing in a loud voice the very simple line “Hi! I’m the new assistant”, and then being scared off the premises by a PLASTIC BAG which she doesn’t recognize as such.

Gee…

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t believe it was a plastic bag. Don’t forget Angela is a shape-shifter. I think it was her.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

tsa - 30 May 2012 07:00 AM

Yes it was asked by me. And I got told that I hadn’t understood most of the game Smile.

Heh… I saw your questions when I visited the old site yesterday. (Didn’t see any plastic bag reply, but that thread was dozens of pages long and I didn’t read everything).

The mysterious being in the beginning is Angela. She doesn’t want David to have another assistant than her, but for various reasons he hasn’t really noticed her efforts to come closer to him.

I’m inclined to agree with you. If the developers/Jane really said it’s a plastic bag, then who am I to question them.  Innocent But it doesn’t make much sense. Either the player can see it’s a piece of plastic flying in the wind, in which case they wonder why the girl runs off. Or they cannot recognize the object and then there’s no point in calling it a plastic bag.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I watched this video a few times (scroll to 2:39), but now I have my doubts too. Maybe it was a plastic bag that Angela let go, or the girl who was scared away was Angela herself?

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

To me it seems that it’s in a way… not metaphorical, but… (Can’t explain what I mean, especially in English) I mean, something happens, and the real assistant is spooked by it, but then it turns out that she just “imagined” it (hence the plastic bag to the outsider, but to her there’s something else).  Kinda like if you’re in a dark alley, then some cat you haven’t noticed does something, you know, basic movie tension building.

Only this time, whether she really imagined it or not, isn’t clear. Nevertheless, Sam can only see a plastic bag.

So, how I understand it is that something happens that we can speculate and (once finishing the game) assume is done by Angela, as she wants to spook off the assistant (but this isn’t necessarily the case, it could be coincidence). The assistant (maybe slightly nervous to begin with, about the place and the weather and the rumours about mr. Styles) is frightened and flees. But Sam, farther away, sees the situation more to what it is - or alternatively only the aftermath when nothing’s really there, just a plastic bag in the wind - and sees her opportunity and takes the place as we all know. And if it was Angela’s doings, she wasn’t expecting Sam and so doesn’t do anything to spook her off (doesn’t realize she’s there - I don’t remember how she reacts the first time she hears Sam is Style’s assistant, maybe that can give clues as to whether she was involved in all this assistant spooking).

(Edit): Looking at it, it seems it’s a plastic bag that “attacks” the assistant, as in, hits her in the face (hence the weird picture in OP). Also, it seems that she’s really nervous about going there, so (whether Angela’s actions or not - it’s totally up to the imagination and speculation) when this something “attacks” her and splonks on her face, that’s too much for her and she panicks.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I think the first girl (who may be Angela) knows about Styles’ reputation and is therefore quite nervous. She doesn’t know what to expect when the door opens, and when something happens she has enough and flees. Sam is blissfully unaware of the situation and wonders what the fuss is about. She then takes advantage of the situation and becomes David’s new assistant.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Uptimist, what you’re saying about imagination, tension building, etcetera makes sense. I watched the intro again and now that I know I’m supposed to see a plastic bag, I can see it hitting the girl’s face. But if you don’t know, it could be anything. A Dutch walkthrough that I used a couple of times, said the new assistant was scared of a moving shadow.

Tsa, I don’t think Angela could be the new assistant. No Scottish accent, for one thing. I tried to find her reaction to the info that Sam is Styles’ assistent, but that’s not part of the game. Styles tells Sam to prepare the others for the experiment and in the next screen they’re already lying on the beds. But previously Angela did show a reaction when Same tells her that Styles is conducting experiments.

Go to 13:40

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Fien - 30 May 2012 04:02 PM

Tsa, I don’t think Angela could be the new assistant. No Scottish accent, for one thing. I tried to find her reaction to the info that Sam is Styles’ assistent, but that’s not part of the game. Styles tells Sam to prepare the others for the experiment and in the next screen they’re already lying on the beds. But previously Angela did show a reaction when Same tells her that Styles is conducting experiments.

Go to 13:40

You’re probably right about Angela not being the girl in the intro. I think Angela’s reaction to Sam telling her about Styles’ experiment is understandable. Angela was a bit obsessed with Styles, and maybe she understood that she now had a second chance to show him her special powers.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 30 May 2012 10:05 AM

The assistant (maybe slightly nervous to begin with, about the place and the weather and the rumours about mr. Styles) is frightened and flees. But Sam, farther away, sees the situation more to what it is - or alternatively only the aftermath when nothing’s really there, just a plastic bag in the wind - and sees her opportunity and takes the place as we all know.

^ This.

I always thought it was simply “spooked by a shadow”. It was a scary mansion in the dark, you know.

Hadn’t really considered it being Angela’s doing, though, and I agree that it’s not clear enough. One of the downsides of the art-style used for the cutscenes, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Fien you should keep playing. The beginning I found boring as well but it does get much better after a while.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Fien - 29 May 2012 08:16 AM

Anyway, here’s my question. In the intro the new assistant is scared out of her wits and she runs back to the car. Is that simply a weird face or is it supposed to look like David Styles? Is this Angela’s doing? If so, why? She doesn’t try to scare Sam off.

This is one of the most unclear and disputed parts of the game. To me, i think she was just scared by the weather and the reputation of the house made her see things. Afterall, Sam doesnt react or seem to see it. Thats what i prefer to believe.. because i think other explanations leave more gaps in the story.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

@Adventure. I’d finished GM before I posted my question. Smile

@zane. Sam isn’t easily scared.  Tongue But I agree with you about the gaps.

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top