• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

sharing DRM-free games on a private cloud?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what does it take, and how is it illegal to share our libraries altogether? the site members?

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

You’d be infringing the copyright for any game you share without explicit permission, or something like a creative commons license.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but we ain’t profiting, sure yeah, it feels shady, and i don’t know why!, but from a legal point is there anything that prohibits friends from sharing games together.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Yes, it’d be infringing upon the copyrights of the games. Your thought process is a common one, but unfortunately it’s got no legal basis. Copyright has nothing to do with profit. The holder of the copyright literally has the RIGHTS to COPY the thing and no one else does.

The only exception to copyright is “Fair Use,” which requires you to completely transform the work through collage or commentary, or use the materials specifically for educational purposes. Even those things can be challenged, legally.

There’s really almost no gray area around copying and distributing any media without permission from the copyright holders. No judgement meant, but what you’d be doing would be straight-up illegal.

That being said, if it was a small close-knit group, you’d probably be unlikely to be discovered and if you were, you’d probably get shut down and banned from that cloud service and maybe any site where you gathered folks to join it, but probably wouldn’t be pursued legally. PROBABLY.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

whooho, thanks mattaukamp, that was a really detailed answer.

i am from a 3rd world country,  we dont really give much attention to copyrights to tell you the truth, nor there are many out there looking into our deals too, that why i am asking this kind of question as my knowledge of these terms are very little.  but thanks again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top