• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

And I’m not quitting the playthrough. I actually finished the second part and half through the fists path. I found the second part to be brief and fun, enjoyed the college part the most despite some silly puzzles I had almost forgotten about (steaky chewing gum puzzle in particular). I was actually aware of the random puzzle solutions since my first playthrough and checked all places - found the book in a bookcase, so I didn’t even need to climb that chute with a chewing gum all over my feet! Playing the fists path is not as fun as I thought. While I find the fights so far to be extremely easy (despite the numeric controls don’t work with my laptop for some reason and I have to use the mouse), I really miss the option to talk my way out or trick/buy guards. I watched this playthrough of the Last Crusade the other day which explains all multiple solutions in detail and became even more impressed with it. Here it’s just fight/avoid or wait for another path. The puzzles so far were also not very inventive (probably in order to appeal to action-oriented crowd), little to do in the cities and around the ruins, and caves generally don’t appeal to me. But I enjoy using whip to solve puzzles Smile And the game is beautifully drawn, really love the open scenery. Only animation is a bit too limited, I think Monkey Island 2 did much better.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Doom - 22 December 2018 11:43 AM

While I find the fights so far to be extremely easy (despite the numeric controls don’t work with my laptop for some reason and I have to use the mouse)

Did you press “F” during play to turn keyboard controls on for fighting?

I really miss the option to talk my way out or trick/buy guards.

You can defeat several with other means than fighting. And using bribery to get out of a situation will be possible on the other paths. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 21 December 2018 12:37 AM

Determined to get the 1000 points (silly and pointless, I know Tongue)

Me too. And I just discovered that, while you get more points for puzzling your way out of the tougher fights, that only counts to your running count, not the total count.
Meaning, that to get to 1000 points, you need to do both. I had misinterpreted that. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 22 December 2018 04:08 PM

Did you press “F” during play to turn keyboard controls on for fighting?

I did, but the numpad just isn’t working, only the top set of numeric keys - and it’s near impossible to use them in a fight. Of course, it’s no big deal with a sucker-punch option, but still.

You can defeat several with other means than fighting. And using bribery to get out of a situation will be possible on the other paths. Wink

Fair enough. After all, it’s up to me to choose whether I want to solve problems by fighting or not)

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

TimovieMan - 22 December 2018 04:29 PM
Sir Beardalot - 21 December 2018 12:37 AM

Determined to get the 1000 points (silly and pointless, I know Tongue)

Me too. And I just discovered that, while you get more points for puzzling your way out of the tougher fights, that only counts to your running count, not the total count.
Meaning, that to get to 1000 points, you need to do both. I had misinterpreted that. Tongue

Yep! Save, do a solution, reload that save and do the other. Therefore, getting the points for both solutions Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Just to let everyone know, I haven’t given up on playing, but the game is on the back burner for me until after Christmas.  I’ve been having vision problems due to an allergic reaction to some prescription eye drops, which delayed me starting.  My vision is much better now, so I hope to get caught up soon.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 December 2018 11:47 AM

Just to let everyone know, I haven’t given up on playing, but the game is on the back burner for me until after Christmas.  I’ve been having vision problems due to an allergic reaction to some prescription eye drops, which delayed me starting.  My vision is much better now, so I hope to get caught up soon.

Like I said before: you could always decide to skip one of the branching paths, or alternatively: just play and comment at your own pace.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished with mixed feelings. It became more tedious by the end, most locations felt empty and underused, they took away my favourite part - the U-boat, puzzles were few, fighting was boring, and while I k(cl)icked most Nazis, without proper controls the final boss is unbeatable. At least I was able to talk my way out several times. Yes, they tried to make the path as action-packed as possible, with Indi fighting, pushing and whipping things, but it still feels very random, like it was finished in the last minute and they simply cleaned other paths of all interesting moments. Hope the team game is better!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s Sunday, December 23rd and most seem to have reached the second dark place.

Some end-of-section questions:

- What do you think of the “your eyes are adjusting to the darkness a little” way that dark places become slightly more visible? Have you seen this used in other games as well?

- Which fights did you actually fight? Did you use the “sucker-punch” often? Or did you perhaps cheat with the ScummVM console command?

- What’s your favourite location from this section? Is it your favourite location in the game, or is that still the one from the earlier part?

Now that you’ve reached the entrance to Atlantis, it’s time to… reload an earlier save.

Remember this point?

It’s time to go back to this point!
(you did make a save there, didn’t you?) Wink

This time around we’ll be picking the “Team” path, joining up with Sophia.
Pick the “tackle this together with you” and “we should team up” answers and you’ll be on your way to Monte Carlo and Algiers again!

You then have until Friday, January 4th - a few days extra because of the holidays - to reach this dark location (again):

Small variation: you can play a little bit further here, just until you get the lights on.
It’s a continuity thing. Wink

Some notes for the coming section:

- Unlike the “Fists” path, this one will be almost entirely without fights. There’s just one optional one, and it’s the easiest in the game.

- You’ll be revisiting a bunch of locations, meeting a lot of the same characters. Try to note the similarities and differences between this path and the Fists path. And then please comment on that. Grin

Fun stuff:

Did you let Indy drown instead of going in the entrance to Atlantis?
If you didn’t, this is the screen you missed. Grin

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

- What do you think of the “your eyes are adjusting to the darkness a little” way that dark places become slightly more visible? Have you seen this used in other games as well?

I’m glad you mentioned this, I was gonna bring it up but you beat me to it. Wink I think it was a really nice touch, it actually caught me by surprise the first time I noticed it. I really enjoy little details like that. I can’t think of any other adventure game that I’ve played that has ever used that technique.

- Which fights did you actually fight? Did you use the “sucker-punch” often? Or did you perhaps cheat with the ScummVM console command?

I fought everyone fairly without using “suckerpunch” except for Hans and Arnold. After far too many failed attempts I finally gave up, luckily I found the console cheat Smile So I returned to a save game before each fight and gave Indy some steroids, lol. (The things completionists will do just for a few measly points, Crazy)

- What’s your favourite location from this section? Is it your favourite location in the game, or is that still the one from the earlier part?

I like Algiers, reminds me of the Indy films. Smile

Fun Stuff: I never knew Indy could actually drown. I guess because you have more than enough time to find the cave so I never succumbed to such. I reloaded a save just to let him drown, got a good chuckle from the response! Years later and I’m still discovering new things Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I’ll comment even though I’m not playing the game now, but I have completed Fate of Atlantis with the FISTS path only a few weeks ago.
I used to play the game only with the TEAM path, simply because I expected FISTS would be solely action oriented, but boy, was I wrong there.

I really like the FISTS path primarily because of:
- The story really flows in Indiana Jones style with a good blend of action and puzzles. I concede to the fact that this path is lighter on real puzzles, but often this goes in favor of the plot and storyline. With an overload of puzzles you typically also get those that extend gameplay time rather than adding anything to the story.
- Meeting more NAZI’s prior to getting to Atlantis. With the other paths it feels like your mostly catching up to where the NAZI’s have been. The tougher ones can be dealt with in alternative creative ways, which classify them as puzzles aswel IMHO.
- Using the whip more often than in any other path. Again, more of an inventory puzzle than action sequence, but fits really well with the Indiana Jones universe.
- Using the location of Atlantis based on distance to the colonies directly as part of a puzzle. I’m not sure if I remember correctly, but has either of the other paths the use of Atlantis location as a direct puzzle? If memory serves the team path merely has the book falling in the hands of the NAZI’s and they essentially plot the course to Atlantis in the sub

I was able to beat all the NAZI’s pretty easily, aside from those that can be tackled in an alternative way, so as long as you are not going for full points, there isn’t really any need for the sucker punch feature. Most opponents can be killed fairly easily without even the need to proper defend. Just punch with a second or so between punches to maximize impact and you’d be able to defeat all the mandatory ones without much trouble.

I *love* the dark screens where you have to figure out where the hotspots are. The first couple of playthroughs from many years ago I did not notice that those screens become a bit more clearer after a while. Only once somebody told me I really noticed this. Smile

My favorite location is probably Algiers aswel. And I like the small boat scene where you have to dive to Atlantis.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the team path, and it was great! Now I truly believe that the fists path was an unnecessary addition to the playthrough or even the game (but then the more choices, the better). Towns don’t feel so empty anymore - they are extended, populated and filled with fun tasks. The previously missing location - U-boat - is there and it is very well-designed. The caves are mostly the same, minus Nazis, plus Sophia, so there isn’t much fun in replaying them. Sophia’s company adds a lot to the experience though: her converstaions with Indi are hilarious, and she doesn’t feel like your usual sideckick, planning her own decisions and making good use of her skills. And there is a lot of TEAM work, just like the name of the path implies. One of the best team works in adventure games to my memory.

TimovieMan - 23 December 2018 06:20 PM

Another cool idea. I seriously believed my eyes were adjusting to the darkness first time around. Very inventive. Rehabilitated the horrible adventure cliche - pixelhunting in the darkness. I don’t recall anyone using this trick since, which is a shame.

I fought everyone using mouse except for the two soldiers in the caves who could be destroyed from the distance and the big boss who couldn’t be destoyed at all.

As I mentioned, my favourite location is missing from the fists path. I also disliked how other locations were artificially cut and emptied. Still I enjoy Thera. I like the landscape, the peacefulness, and it also has a special place in my heart being featured in the FoA demo.

Did you let Indy drown instead of going in the entrance to Atlantis?

I did the first time around, and not on purporse - I just left the game for a few minutes. I really like the cross-references of LucasArts games, especially since Indi feels like Guybrush’s elder brother from time to time.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

http://www.timovieman.be/uploads/AG/FoA/Guybrush.png

This was amazingly funny, thanks for sharing!

Never saw this before anywhere!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Happy New Year, everybody!

It’s been quiet here this past week. Because of the feztivities, no doubt. Tongue

The original plan was to start the penultimate session (the Wits Path) on Friday. Does that need to be revised or not?

Who’s still playing? Who has already finished the Team Path? If anyone needs more time, please let me know!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 02 January 2019 08:28 AM

Happy New Year, everybody!

It’s been quiet here this past week. Because of the feztivities, no doubt. Tongue

The original plan was to start the penultimate session (the Wits Path) on Friday. Does that need to be revised or not?

Who’s still playing? Who has already finished the Team Path? If anyone needs more time, please let me know!

Thank you Timo. Happy new year to you too & all also! Heart
I’ve just got back from time away, haven’t had a chance to play the team path yet & also to think about answers to your questions about the fist’s path.
I haven’t got time before Friday to get through the team path but if you want to go ahead on Friday with the wit’s path I can catch up very easily over the weekend with both I know. Still playing!  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top