• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 19 December 2018 01:59 PM

I’m not sure that’s the unwinnable state if you confront Arnold 2nd time

The unwinnable state is very close to the end game, and to be fair, the only time I’ve ever wound up in an unwinnable state there was when I was actively trying to. I had never been stuck there before I saw a YouTube video explaining it. Like I said, I’ll warn in advance. With a screenshot of the location. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Still in Indy’s office where I left him lol. Gonna have to sit the rest of the playthrough out and finish the game some other time by myself. Going away for the holidays and there won’t be much time for gaming.

Will maybe join some other playthrough next year. Enjoy the holidays and happy new year everyone. Cheers Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

McCoy97 - 19 December 2018 02:25 PM

Still in Indy’s office where I left him lol. Gonna have to sit the rest of the playthrough out and finish the game some other time by myself. Going away for the holidays and there won’t be much time for gaming.

Will maybe join some other playthrough next year. Enjoy the holidays and happy new year everyone. Cheers Smile

You could always decide to skip one or two of the branching paths. They’re essentially different routes to the same point (even going over many of the same locations).
And then you could still be around for the endgame…

Just an idea…  Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I talked my way past the doorman, Biff, so Sophia suggested going down the team path when I got to the branching point.  Design wise, I really like that the game gives you a suggested path to take based on your earlier play style but that it then makes that crucial decision explicit for you when talking with Sophia so you can easily change paths there.

As for the Lost Dialogue of Plato, mine was in the wax cat in the Dunlop collection.

And I think the Azores was probably my favourite location in that beginning part of the game.  I just really love the vibrant colours of that scene.

Now, I’ve got to get back to the fists path!

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 05 December 2018 03:24 PM

Do remember to save often, especially in more dangerous (read: Nazi-infested) places!

There are no dead ends in the game that I know of, but there is one spot where you could manoeuver yourself into an unwinnable state during a puzzle. It’s only for one short puzzle, however, and I will warn you well in advance.

Henke, I paid attention to Tim’s very good advice & saved often so I didn’t have to go back too far to try again to try differently to get past Arnold

I’m not sure that’s the unwinnable state if you confront Arnold 2nd time but I did find that when I tried again yes, you can just coolly walk away from Arnold despite the health bars etc - I just didn’t think to try first time around so no dead end!  Thumbs Up

Are there more action games like these?  Laughing

Aha, I thought there was a way to defeat Arnold without confronting him at all that I didn’t know about. But I guess it was the fact that you can just say “Hasta La Vista baby” the first time but not the second that got you stumped.

My bad.  Tongue

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That awkward moment when you realize you haven’t answered your own questions in the CPT…

TimovieMan - 09 December 2018 03:59 PM

Now that we’ve all played the prologue, care to share your opinion on a “playable” intro like this? Good idea? Just a gimmick? Too few games do it? Let us know!

I *love* this intro, and I wish more games would put an effort into making as much of the opening credits playable as possible.
I don’t have anything against cutscenes, but a credits-sequence often has you just sitting there. I prefer that the credits are shown while you’re already playing the game.

The Cat Lady is another example of a game that did this right, imo.

TimovieMan - 16 December 2018 04:30 PM

Some end-of-section questions for you all to answer:

- How did you bypass Biff the doorman?
(Alternatively: what did Sophia suggest during her fortune reading: wits, team or fists? - her answer is a direct consequence of your choice with Biff)

As usual, I used the fire escape. So Sophia told me to take the ‘Wits’ path.
I almost always pick this option. I don’t want to get into fights that I can avoid, and the tension between Indy and Sophia makes it illogical to start praising her right out the gate.

- Where did you find Plato’s Lost Dialogue?

Mine was in the wax cat.
But I had gone through the effort of checking all three locations, like I always do.

- What’s your favourite location so far?

The Azores are pretty high on my list of places to one day visit, and this game is largely responsible for that. Grin

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Done. Not much to say. I can’t believe that I managed to win all the fights (except Arnold) all those years ago when I was trying to work out the points list. I doubt I’d have the patience to go through this now; the combat system is pretty bad, and frankly unfun.

One thing that always strikes me whenever I replay the game is the amount of random variations. There’s some obvious stuff, such as the stone disc combinations or Trottier’s question, but also lots of little things you wouldn’t expect, such as the location of the diagram and statues in the Cretan ruins, or even Sophia’s location in the Labyrinth!

I have one question for new players: How did you feel about the orichalcum detector / gold box puzzle? It seems very poorly clued to me. It’s not obvious that the fish points at orichalcum, or that the gold box can shield things from the detector (I know it’s lined with lead, but you have to actually look at the box to get that info, and even that is not much of a clue). The puzzle is much better clued on another path, which is how I first experienced it back in 1992, but I was wondering if it felt fair to those who first encountered it on the Fists path.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 19 December 2018 02:20 PM

I’m not sure that’s the unwinnable state if you confront Arnold 2nd time

The unwinnable state is very close to the end game, and to be fair, the only time I’ve ever wound up in an unwinnable state there was when I was actively trying to. I had never been stuck there before I saw a YouTube video explaining it. Like I said, I’ll warn in advance. With a screenshot of the location. Tongue

Technically, on the Fists path, if your only save is underwater when you’re about to run out of air and are too far from the correct entrance to reach it in time, you’re in an unwinnable state. But, frankly, if that happens, you’ve had it coming.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Determined to get the 1000 points (silly and pointless, I know Tongue) my research discovered a handy little cheat you can use to guarantee a victory in every fight without using suckerpunch, therefore getting the IQ points! It involves using the SCUMMVM debug console.

Once the fight commences press Ctrl+D. The game will pause and the console will pop up. Type “scumm_vars[322] 2000” and press Enter. Then type “exit” and press Enter again. (exclude the quotation marks) Indy’s energy bar should extend beyond the screen, more than enough to win the fight. If by chance you start to notice the energy bar depleting then simply rinse and repeat. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Clever. Is beating Arnold in a fight the only ‘big’ challenge for getting to the full 1000 IQ points?
I’ve never even been close to the full 1000 points despite having completed all three paths and have seen most scenarios on where the book is stored.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

subbi - 21 December 2018 04:42 AM

Clever. Is beating Arnold in a fight the only ‘big’ challenge for getting to the full 1000 IQ points?

There are a couple more tough fights, though nowhere near as hard as Arnold: Anton (the guy you can crush under a stalactite in the Labyrinth) and the prison guard in Atlantis. And then a few non-obvious alternate solutions to some puzzles.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 December 2018 05:09 PM

I have one question for new players: How did you feel about the orichalcum detector / gold box puzzle? It seems very poorly clued to me. It’s not obvious that the fish points at orichalcum, or that the gold box can shield things from the detector (I know it’s lined with lead, but you have to actually look at the box to get that info, and even that is not much of a clue). The puzzle is much better clued on another path, which is how I first experienced it back in 1992, but I was wondering if it felt fair to those who first encountered it on the Fists path.

I ended up peeking at a walkthrough but I think if I’d spent more time & thought about it more there does seem to be enough reference to work it out. 
It does mention in Plato’s Lost Dialogue that devices carved out of amber were used to search for orichalcum. If you try to use the amber fish it points to Indie so you can deduce that it’s detecting the beads he has. From that the purpose of the lead-lined box becomes obvious.   Laughing

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game has so many amazing things going for it, but special mention must be made of Sophia Hapgood, one of my very favorite sidekicks ever in an adventure game.

I have trouble deciding who I like more, her or Nico.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to have to do what our leader, TimovieMan, did with the Post Mortem playthrough. Real Life has just inserted itself. I will play when I can. Post when I can. And will finish when I can. And will give comments and impressions when I can. But I just can’t be an active participant right now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

TimovieMan - 19 December 2018 02:33 PM
McCoy97 - 19 December 2018 02:25 PM

You could always decide to skip one or two of the branching paths. They’re essentially different routes to the same point (even going over many of the same locations).
And then you could still be around for the endgame…

Just an idea…  Wink

We’ll see but I’ll probably just end up finishing the game in my own time. Will be away from pc till about mid Jan maybe and even then I’ll probably not be playing much.

Enjoyed the game so far though

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top