• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Crimson Diamond

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2018-11-11

PM

Hello! My name is Julia and I’m an indie game dev based in Canada.

I’m pleased to share my game-in-progress, The Crimson Diamond! It’s an EGA text parser mystery adventure game. Please visit http://www.thecrimsondiamond.com to download the playable demo, watch the gameplay trailer, subscribe to the newsletter, grab social media links, and listen to an episode of the Classic Gamers Guild Podcast (featuring me discussing the game). I also help moderate the Classic Gamers Guild, we’re a fun group of folks in a friendly corner of Facebook Smile.

I’d love to hear feedback on my game! Send questions, comments, bugs (eek!) to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), or in this here forum post!

Thanks for letting me share here!

—Julia

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’m loving the aesthetic - something a bit Laura Bow-ish here?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, Julia introduced herself here with The Colonel’s Bequest as a primary influence, which definitely explains the Laura Bow aestethic. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

You had me at text parser.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

jmjm - 12 November 2018 04:49 PM

Love this artwork - very tasteful! Thanks for sharing.

Joined 2018-11-11

PM

Yes, it’s most definitely Laura Bow-esque! The Colonel’s Bequest (TCB, which funnily enough is quite close to TCD = The Crimson Diamond! Happy coincidence!) is my most favourite Sierra SCI art. The moodiness and deep shadows of Douglas Herring’s art are very compelling to me. And the plantation grounds at dusk are a masterpiece!

I love text parser. There are some “modern” conveniences in the game, such as optional graphical inventory and autosaves. I’m thinking of implementing an optional click-to-walk feature, after watching folks testing it at a show recently. Not everyone is used to Sierra’s “walk until you stub your toe” style of movement!

My second favourite adventure game interface is verb coin, a la Return to Zork. Something about those cute animated actions.

Joined 2018-11-11

PM

Just a quick update:

A new version of my demo is available on my site, with a click-to-walk option and a tutorial room for new players! http://www.thecrimsondiamond.com/

Also, the first issue of my newsletter is out, you can read it on the site here: http://www.thecrimsondiamond.com/CrimsonGazette1.html and subscribe so you can receive it directly in your emailbox on the main page!

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Good luck with this project! Would love to try out the demo, but by default it plays in a much too tiny window on my screen with no option to change to full screen (but curiously enough an option to play in windowed mode instead of full screen…).

Joined 2018-11-11

PM

Veovis - 30 November 2018 05:28 PM

Good luck with this project! Would love to try out the demo, but by default it plays in a much too tiny window on my screen with no option to change to full screen (but curiously enough an option to play in windowed mode instead of full screen…).

Ahh! I’m sorry you’re having trouble with running the game at a decent size. When you run winsetup, did you fiddle with the filter options? Those can sometimes help!

Good luck!

- Julia

Joined 2018-11-11

PM

Let’s Player LateBlt played some of my demo! The video’s an hour long and shows some basic gameplay but not the entire demo, no spoilers really.  Smile

I’m psyched!! He seemed to really like it and was super nice about it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top