• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ron Gilberts new adventure game The Cave announced

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It seems really promising. Check out the announcement trailerSmile

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

It really looks like a traditional platformer. But if Ron says it’s an adventure game - it is an adventure game Smile Can’t wait!

I just read the interview. So it is actually The Lost Vikings successor. Well, I really hope it will catch the mood, since Trine didn’t work for me.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The Trine games are great IMO. Although the fact that you will be able to choose between 7 distinctly different characters with their own agenda can make this game even more interesting.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Looks fun, i liked trine, and this looks very trine-ish (switching between a team of three in a platformer)

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

This looks brilliant. Looks like a puzzle platformer, with a few inventory puzzle in the mix.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Nothing like Trine. More like a MetroidVania game. Trine relies on individual room puzzles where as metroidVania tend to require backtracking, multilevel structured levels and exploration.

Anyways, it looks to be a mix of Maniac Mansion and MetroidVania. Definitely a gorgeous adventure game mix. Grin

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Monolith - 24 May 2012 01:41 PM

Nothing like Trine.

nothing? with a team of 3 where you switch between them and co-op multiplayer? Also trine absolutely has some backtracking and exploration.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

In Gilbert I trust.

Looks good.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Looks really cool. I like the graphical style.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

on the other hand it reminds me of LIMBO…..the atmosphere and the emphasis the graphics make to the eye(not sure how to best describe the feeling).

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m not sure how interested I am. I sort of feel like I got my fill of 2D side-scrolling platformers with Little Big Planet. I have until 2013 to change my opinion though.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Ah, now I know why Ron Gilbert was talking about Limbo so much during his fireside chat with Tim Schafer. It’s a cinematic platformer!

Can’t wait, I love games like this.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

zane - 24 May 2012 02:25 PM
Monolith - 24 May 2012 01:41 PM

Nothing like Trine.

nothing? with a team of 3 where you switch between them and co-op multiplayer? Also trine absolutely has some backtracking and exploration.

I admit, that was a definitive answer. You should compare games based on specific mechanics then you can compare them to any games. Comparisons should be left to conclusive comparisons as a whole, not because of one or two connections (character switching or 3d sidescrolling). Also can you actually switch between characters like trine? Haven’t seen anything like that except for separate levels with unique characters and accompanying npc’s.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

its just an observation based on what little we’ve seen O_O
Nobody said “this plays exactly like trine.” Just has some visual similarities.
Who knows how the switching works exactly, but all the articles i saw gave the impression it was trine-ish. Such as pcworld:

Since the game requires you to go spelunking with a custom team of three characters (though not all at once; you can switch between them at will)

Very well could be that they stay on screen with AI though, not sure.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Double Fine’s earned that rare sort of credibility, where I’d almost certainly buy their games sight unseen. (BioWare, Irrational and Quantic Dream have that too, for me atleast—I know others might object on the BioWare front. Tongue) I’ve loved the multiple character, cause-and-effect angle from the moment I played Maniac Mansion back on the NES and am really looking forward to seeing it implemented here. I don’t mind if it’s not an adventure, we’ve got the Kickstarter project to look forward to there.

The art direction looks a little like Day of the Tentacle mixed with Psychonauts!

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The fact that almost everybody tries to put different labels on this game makes me believe even more that it’s going to be awesome.

The things that makes me most excited about this game is that it seems to have all kinds of puzzles and stories/settings. Everything from inventory based puzzles to manipulate things in the environment and use the characters different abilities. Also every character is suppose to have a different story with a different goal and setting. This can turn out really good.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top