• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If Lucasarts had made a classic Star Wars adventure

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Looking back on the Lucasarts adventures of the 90s, the most striking thing to note is the absence of a Star Wars adventure game.
It’s one of their most popular -if not THE most popular- franchises and Lucasarts’ signature game focus. When people think of Lucasarts they think of adventure games and Star Wars. But the two were never combined.
Maybe it was too late - the Indiana Jones games came out when the movies were at the height of their popularity, with The Last Crusade game coinciding with the film. When that was successful The Fate of Atlantis was made.
But there were plenty of Star Wars games made in the 90s, all action games. If they did make an adventure could they have turned one out as highly regarded and well executed as Fate of Atlantis?
And how would they have done it? I don’t find Luke as charismatic as Indy, and there are perhaps too many characters doing too many different things at different times. It would have to be like Maniac Mansion or DOTT with a multi-character approach.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Or a completely different character with his own story which slightly touches all the other stories that goes around in the SW universe. Something like Lewton in the discworld.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i had never waited for SW to turn into an Adcenture Game though i followed their releases in hope that they (one of them) would turn out to be one, but when i look at it now i guess that was impossible due to some reasons ,

1st wht Star Wars have is an absolute action nature with Space Ship Combats and laser Swords fights .
2nd Starwars gave absolutely a different venue for Lucas or a better one to produce Action Games.
3rd i guess also fans of the movies would not appreciate to see Turn Luke or Solo turn into some kind Explorer Chatter and Puzzle solver . keeping in mind the Lucasfilm had a privilege (over Sierra) to not to die in their Adventures .

plus all that the story of Starwars itself had started with Act 4 so it would had been delicate to handle a separate act with an adventure as they mostly (adventures) are supposed to give clues , a compiling Story and Twists,

at last,The Last Crusade Was Made By the Book, Fate of Atlantis was never A movie . 

i had always thought of that, thanks Oscar for bringing it up Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Actually there was a Star Wars adventure in development somewhere between 96-98s, with C-3PO in the title. Hal Barwood (of Fate of Atlantis fame) was working on it. But after Grim Fandango didn’t sell well, the project was closed. Go figure.

Since I’m not a fan of the franchise and never played any Star Wars game, it never bothered me Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Arial Type - 28 June 2012 09:30 AM

Actually there was a Star Wars adventure in development somewhere between 96-98s, with C-3PO in the title.

Actually that would have been interesting and a really good way of avoiding the action shooting-fest that would have been expected if Luke and Han Solo were the main characters. You could play C-3P0 the diplomat and have R2D2 as a “companion” to solve certain technical puzzles.

Somehow I’m not as impressed by the “Han Solo Adventures” posted above as I would have been had it been made 20 years ago.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, the thing is obviously that Star Wars doesn’t really lend itself all that much to the adventure genre. The Force is too important in the Star Wars universe, so you have to include it, and the Force is basically made for more actiony games…

It’s not impossible to make a Star Wars adventure game, though, but it’ll most likely have at least *some* action elements in it… but the Indiana Jones games had that too (although they were optional).
The Star Wars universe is vast, and you can easily confine the game to a subsection (similar to those Ewok spin-off movies), or confine the game to more peaceful main characters (like C-3PO)...

But I must say: some of the best Star Wars games had a lot of adventure elements to them, though.
Knights of the Old Republic (one of the best RPGs ever made) is very story-driven and features plenty of puzzle-type situations where your lightsaber is not required. It still remains an RPG, so lightsabers do feature heavily.
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is even more of a hybrid: it starts off as a shooter (with a few minor platform puzzles), and after a few hours of gameplay, you get to train in the Force and get a lightsaber (which changes the game from a shooter to a more tactical slasher). With the Force at your disposal there were quite a few box-moving puzzles and “escape the room” puzzles where you Force-push buttons or Force-pull levers that are normally out of reach, or where you Force-mindtrick guards into opening your cell door etc.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

there’s an element of puzzling in the Lego Star Wars games as well when it comes to finding the hidden minikit pieces and red bricks. It only really extends to having to choose the right character in a given situation to be able to move an object blocking the way using force powers (only sith can move black bricks) or blow up a wall (only engineers can use explosives) or reach a high platform (only a few characters can jump high) but it’s still a puzzle.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 28 June 2012 06:21 AM

You have to speculate no longer  Wink

Clicky 2

Looking good.
Let’s hope George Lucas´ lawyers don’t put a stop to the game.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Hamham Chan - 28 June 2012 04:15 PM

Looking good.
Let’s hope George Lucas´ lawyers don’t put a stop to the game.

Lol yeah… they should be fine as long as they don’t try to make a kickstarter campaign out of it. They’re not allowed to make money off the license.

Also there’s a demo out for it in case you guys missed it. Has some typos and stuff but I think it’s pretty cool for a non-profit indie game.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-05-05

PM

There’s also Shadows of the Empire, which has been in development since 2004 but is still hanging in there somehow.

If I remember correctly, this one WAS contacted by LucasArts and was told that as long as he didn’t make any money off the game, then it was OK to make it.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Who cares about LucasArts today?

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

That Han Solo game does look groovy.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

badlemon - 28 June 2012 03:47 AM

Or a completely different character with his own story which slightly touches all the other stories that goes around in the SW universe. Something like Lewton in the discworld.

+1
I don’t want to replay an Episode as a specific character (or a group of characters like I’ve read about Reasonance, or as Maniac Mansion). It better be something new, with a new character in a side story or simply put in the Star Wars Universe without any connection to the main story. After all, Star Wars Universe is so vast that anything can be placed in it. Or with simple references to the main SW story. For example a Jedi Historian/Consular that is searching for evidence about a lost Sith Holocron, with action parts only in videos…

How could we suggest it to LucasArt to push them in a way? Make a petition maybe? To be honest, I don’t think it can work, but its worth a try at least… Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top