• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The US: Still the capital of adventure games?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

JTheysen - 18 August 2012 09:42 AM

We are developing our new adventure in Germany, with the help of artists from Poland, a Russian animator, a British sound studio and an Austrian publisher who’s mother company is from Sweden with PR and marketing guys from the US.

The is really Awesome to Hear

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-09-15

PM

Are y’all sure this alleged past US dominance in adventure games isn’t totally overblown? The more I delve into retro gaming, the more Japanese games pop up. Check out Giantbomb’s video throwback on Shenmue, a 199tyish cutting edge adventure game: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-shenmue/17-1334/

It depends on how you look at it. The Top 100 lists you find on the internet are likely made up from worldwide sales/ratings, apart from every other bias the author may have. It would be nice to have such lists for countries or world regions.

Granted, the US invented computers, game consoles, the internet and the first games. The US market dominates sales figures to this day. I don’t see why the rest of the world should care so much, unless they’re in it for the money - which is a very good reason. Wink But like with every art form, there’s no guaranteed success. I once said I’d buy Myst MMMMLII, and emotionally I stand by that, but another part of me is glad it died well before it went anywhere near the toilet.

So I’m digging for good games in the indie, freeware & retro sections, like everybody else, or replaying my old games. I even tried to install a Russian game without speaking Russian - Phobos 1953 -, but my non-cyrillic system blew the installer. There’s a whole world of incompatible software out there that I’d never have known about, if there were more easy to find, good games around.

Which is why I care about the loss of the Freeware section on this site. There’s so much good stuff out there - you just have to know where to find it.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’d say as great as Shenmue and Shenmue II are, it’s tough to call them adventure games.  I’d consider them more like an open world action-RPG with some adventure game elements.  Regardless, there are quality adventures coming out in a lot of different places, I don’t think any location is dominant in that regard.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top