• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy for a 10 year old.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

I’m going to have my 10 year old nephew over for the weekend next week and wanted to introduce him to Tex but wasn’t sure if he was to young.  What do you guys think is Tex good for a ten year old?

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

well most people I talk to have mentioned they started to play tex as a kid, I was attracted to tex murphy looking for a adult game ....lol

I suppose it would depend how mature he is for his age, but then kids these days know more about things that we did at their age.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Texas - 23 May 2012 07:05 AM

... my 10 year old nephew… wanted to introduce him to Tex

Throw in some Wittgenstein and Kafka and he’ll be even more perplexed.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Julia, you’re an idiot.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

Plumgas:

It’s interesting that you say that.  When I first got into Tex I was drawn to it because it seemed adult.  After playing the game I think a child might apreciate the humor.

Toefur:

That’s really good to hear.  Glad to know you two are having so much fun with it.  The last time I had my nephew I watched him play an online game that had some light puzzles in it and he seemed to have fun. I figure it might be a really cheap way to have a good time with him.  If he is into it the bang for the buck would be excellent.  Seeing that inspired me to maybe introduce him to Tex.  Which Tex game are you playing with your 10 year old?  I was thinking of trying Overseer because the graphics and video are better.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2005-03-19

PM

I’ve played The Pandora Directive for the first time when I was 11 yrs old.
Two scenes were very hard, the scene with the dead corpse in the cabin, and the scene in roswell (not so scary, but very stressful).

I was ten for UAKM, and I had no problems with it. The only really shocking scene is the one with the water cooler!

So, the only scene to really avoid is the one in the cabin!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’d say “why not?”. I’m sure 10yo is too young to get everything but it surely can still be enjoyable experience and most of us here have started with adult games when we were kids. Tex Murphy is quite safe anyway, much safer than Gabriel Knight for instance.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

This is funny because if I remember right I started playing Under A Killing Moon when I was 10! No help needed to play. But then I had started to play games before I was going to school using a Commodore 64… I loved how the hint system let me continue even when stumped without feeling guilty.

I really enjoyed it and then I got Pandora Directive which I played when I was about 11. The Roswell bit creeped me out at that age hah, but it was (and still is) my favourite game of the series! Then last (sadly) was Overseer when I was 13.

I remember the isolated cabins parts in the games (with or without bodies) to be creepy and memorable, but not overly disturbing. But then as a kid I had watched stuff like Watership Down and played The Dark Eye (creepy Poe game). So err yeah! But overall the games left a positive impression on me, I hope they enjoy it too.

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora. A new Adventure Game with Adventure Game with Noir Detective and Sci-Fi themes upcoming.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

I was 10 when I played Under a Killing Moon for the first time. All of the Tex games can definitely be enjoyed and appreciated for someone that young. It was the Tex games that got me interested in PC games, particularly adventure games. I stopped playing console games entirely in the mid to late 90s when I discovered how mature and adult oriented PC adventure games were, especially the Tex games.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Iam really looking forward to playing a Tex game with my Nephew.  The timming seems perfect seeing how GOG just put Tex on sale.  I was wondering which game I should start with.  My first thought was Overseer because it is Tex’s first case and has the best graphics.  On the other hand UKM is the first of the three FMV games so that would be a good place to start.  Then again Pandora seems to be the most well liked.  What do you guys think?  Which game should I start him with?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top