• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Deponia (Daedalic)

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

GameSpot posted their review of Deponia. Considering they tend to be very unforgiving towards the adventure genre, their score is very…  Gasp

Here’s the link: http://www.gamespot.com/deponia/reviews/deponia-review-6384274/

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

An 8.0 from Gamespot for an adventure game is basically off the charts by their standards.

Certainly doesn’t hurt to entice some curious gamers and swing more people toward adventure games. If Deponia lands on Steam and gets a decent sale, watch out.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Well, Gamespot gave the same score to The Book of Unwritten Tales.

I always found it a myth that Gamespot plainly hates all kinds of adventures games, doesn’t understand the genre and loves to rip adventure games apart. They may just be a lot less forgiving than genre fans are.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

ozzie - 29 June 2012 08:31 AM

Well, Gamespot gave the same score to The Book of Unwritten Tales.

I always found it a myth that Gamespot plainly hates all kinds of adventures games, doesn’t understand the genre and loves to rip adventure games apart. They may just be a lot less forgiving than genre fans are.

They don’t really like first person adventures, unless it’s Myst. They gave 6’s for Dark Fall, JP3 and Callahan’s (vastly underscored IMO) and get this - 3.9 for Scratches and a 2.6 for Barrow Hill!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Well, I neither played Scratches or Barrow Hill, but I guess that a lot of mainstream reviewers are very unforgiving of games that are technologically so obviously outdated. I mean, pre-rendered 3D in first person games was merely a stepping stone to true 3D that offered lots more details than real time 3D could at the time. When the capabilities of real-time 3D grew, the need for pre-rendered 3D melted away. On top of that, contemporary real-time 3D started to look a lot better than pre-rendered 3D in such games as Scratches or Barrow Hill.
Both Scratches and Barrow Hill were very low budget affairs. Of course, that doesn’t mean that they should be treated lighter because of that. But I’m playing The Journeyman Project 3 at the moment now and while the outdated tech does bother me a bit and I wonder how a Journeyman game might play and look in true 3D, I’m still enjoying it a lot.

So I guess outdated tech is a minus, especially if it’s used badly (the navigation in those prerendered 1st person adventures can get really disorienting), but if the game is otherwise well made it shouldn’t result in such scores. I guess those games weren’t reviewed by critics that appreciated their type. I think 3rd person comedy adventures, like Deponia and The Book of Unwritten Tales, are more widely appreciated. My guess.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wow, that Gamespot review is pretty glowing! (Has some puzzle spoilers though.)

ozzie - 29 June 2012 08:31 AM

Great article on the subject here.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Peter254 - 28 June 2012 02:58 PM

GameSpot posted their review of Deponia. Considering they tend to be very unforgiving towards the adventure genre, their score is very…  Gasp

Here’s the link: http://www.gamespot.com/deponia/reviews/deponia-review-6384274/

I think that is a myth that is always brought up, but gamespot are no better or worse than other review site.

About 4 years ago on the old site this argument kept coming up and I did a stastistical analysis of review score across the sites and found them all to average out about the same level. Sure there are the odd outliers that skew the discussion one way or another, but generally there is more parity than people think.

From 2008 -

I think it shows that apart from the odd strange review that stands out, overall the averages are about even.

Adventure Gamers 68%
JA+ 72%
Quandary 75%
IGN 72%
Gamespot 64%
PC Gamer 62%
Metacritic 69%

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-11-02

PM

Deponia looks really interesting, and price is really attractive too. Any user reviews?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Deponia is good! I tried the demo without any expectation that I’d enjoy it at all, but I did. Just goes to show you can’t really ever tell what you will like.I think I know what I’m going to be playing this weekend, although I’m not even sure if its out yet - some places say 8th Aug, others say it’s already out.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Oscar - 18 July 2012 09:16 AM

Deponia is good! ...I’m not even sure if its out yet…

It is definitely available on amazon.co.uk. I just received my retail box from them.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-08-10

PM

Finished game 2 days ago. My english is not very good so I’ll try to make my “review” short.Game is really good, the story is interesting (the game doesn’t take itself very serious), characters are nice, puzzles are good, graphics are nice. The environment reminds me of Machinarium, but it is not so melancholic and charming. My rating for this game would be 4/5. Game is good but it won’t blow your mind like Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Finished! What a great game.
After dissapointing localisation of A New Beginning, I’m glad Deponia turned out to be every bit as good as The Whispered World.

Great characters (all of them, but Toni must be my favorite). Fresh and fun, even though it was quite painful to watch Rufus’s egocentric behaviour by the end of the game.

Puzzles were fantastic. And it was nice to finally have a few more locations to explore at once (main town of Deponia). Compared to 2-3 screens to explore (before moving on next 2-3 screens) in most of recent adventures, it was almost an open world Tongue
Graphics.. beautiful. Lovely backgrounds and fantastic 2d sprites- even fully animated!

Anyway, can’t wait for the sequel!

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-03-28

PM

Deponia is aviable DRM-free by GOG.com for 14.99 $.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i finished the game 3-4 days ago…..it was a great game and i’m looking forward to the next.

but i have one wish…a lot of the time the reactions Rufus had were the same.whenever a combination didn’t pan out it had a generic reaction from Rufus.and though i realise they can’t make different line for every combination at least for some.it was a bit irritating hearing those lines again and again when stuck.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

jhetfield21 - 06 September 2012 10:22 AM

i finished the game 3-4 days ago…..it was a great game and i’m looking forward to the next.

Me too! One month from now the German version will be released. Smile

but i have one wish…a lot of the time the reactions Rufus had were the same.whenever a combination didn’t pan out it had a generic reaction from Rufus.and though i realise they can’t make different line for every combination at least for some.it was a bit irritating hearing those lines again and again when stuck.

Try Edna and Harvey. You get a unique response for simply every combination.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top