• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 26 June 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Screens don’t get brighter than this in Oknytt (2013). I chose one of the few screens with some blobs of color. It would be hard to spot the protagonist if his fellow traveler, a wingless glowing elf, wasn’t sitting on his shoulder. The narrator calls the nameless protagonist a small insignificant creature. Maybe, but he’s more than willing to help the many creatures in need he meets. I liked the atmosphere, the narrator (the only voice), the weird and creepy characters from Swedish folkore.  I also found the unspectacular but fitting ending moving. 

Anybody else played it? Under the radar is putting it mildly. Are the game and its nameless creature too modest for their own good?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was very intrigued by the description of the game when it came out & would have been tempted if not for the dark environments! It’s one of the games that has been offered very cheaply in GoG’s flash sales - it may come around again for anyone interested!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 26 June 2014 05:37 AM

Anybody else played it?

Played?!?
I haven’t heard of it!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played Oknytt at night with all the lights turned off. Very atmospheric and the dark screens are no longer very dark.

zobraks - 26 June 2014 07:09 AM

Played?!?
I haven’t heard of it!

There’s a whole new and wonderful world of games waiting for you on AG’s main page.  Cool

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Who needs that? I can’t cope with interesting stuff published before 2000.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, Mr Grumpy, Oknytt was not released before 2000.  Tongue

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I know. I meant “there are so many GREAT pre-2000 games I haven’t played to go check the games from the last couple of years”.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 26 June 2014 07:09 AM

Played?!?
I haven’t heard of it!

Ha! I had!!!
So there. Tongue

Game looks extremely dark. Interesting but dark.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

It’s on my wish list, and I’m really intrigued by the setting and art style (we don’t nearly see enough games based around Scandinavian folk lore), but I’m a bit scared it’s too dark for me.

I just can’t handle horror games. I even find Nihilumbra too dark for me..

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s not a horror game, Panthera. Some creatures and their stories are creepy, like the one in the pic. But they are harmless. No scares.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, the game sounds intriguing enough to try, and seems like it’s 1.99 in the Steam sale now so I’m checking it out

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oknytt is really a great game that you should all at least give a try.

One of the things I love about it is that the little creature meets the world in a very open-minded and somewhat naive manner. A big scary monster with big teeth and glowing read eyes? Well perhaps he will help us if I just ask him nicely and politely, and quite often it actually works!

Oknytt is also a very fairytale like story, which is enhanced by the fact that all the voice acting is done by the narrator, sort of like a farther reading a bedtime story to a child. And NO I don’t mean “fairytale like” in the Disney kind of way, but as in the good old Brothers Grimm style with a clear touch of H.C. Andersen, especially the ending is very Andersen’ish, if you have ever read The Little Match Girl then you know what I’m talking about. (And if you haven’t, then you should do it - immediately!)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just started it and I already love it!! Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir, be sure to click on the air, water, earth and fire runes in every screen. Sometimes you need them to solve puzzles, but even you don’t they may add some nice effects.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Yes, I know Karlok. Thanks for the info. It is really nice to see how each rune brings difference even in insignificant details through each screen. The game in general reminds me a lot of a darker version of The Whispered World (one of my favorites btw), from the voice of the protagonist (I like it…) and the overall storytelling/fairytale, to the elemental runes that remind me of the Spot usages. If I have something to grudge thus far (just entered the 3rd chapter) is that it is a little bit too easy. In the end it doesn’t matter though. I like everything else and it seems a really nice experience. I’m in for just 2-3 hours and I find myself already deeply care for the small creature!!

PS: Is that real Swedish folklore?? Really interesting!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 27 June 2014 12:21 PM

If I have something to grudge thus far (just entered the 3rd chapter) is that it is a little bit too easy.

Heh… interesting! One of my grudges is that some puzzles, especially near the end, were hard and/or illogical.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top