• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day – Wednesday 11 July 2012

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Here are some examples - Playthrough 1, Playthrough 2, Playthrough 3

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

VinceTwelve - 12 July 2012 12:28 PM

Aww geez, me?  I don’t know how to run a community playthrough…  Never participated in one.  No clue!

In a community playthrough the game is cut into digestible chunks. We play one chunk at a time, ask for hints, solve technical problems, talk about the story, the puzzles,  and discuss whatever people feel like discussing. The whole thing usually take weeks, as you can imagine. The playthroughs Diego linked to were very enjoyable, but sometimes a playthrough peters out into nothing when people lose interest in the game and stop posting.

Still interested? I’ll lead a Space Bar playthrough, if people are interested and if you tell me in what order we should play the Emp-Tels. :

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 12 July 2012 08:26 PM

In a community playthrough ... We ... discuss whatever people feel like discussing.

That’s why I like playthroughs in the first place.

sometimes a playthrough peters out into nothing* when people lose interest in the game and stop posting.

This happens many a time and the worst case is when a game master/mistress abandons the s(t)inking ship (leaving the rats on their own).
* Nice euphemism for fails miserably.

Still interested?

Sure.

I’ll lead a Space Bar playthrough

Woo-hoo!
I LOVE your playthroughs!
BTW, is there a better way to celebrate the first anniversary of the GAG playthrough?

if people are interested

People are interested.

tell me in what order we should play the Emp-Tels

Hmmm… Let me see…
*thinks intensively*

I know! Eci, peci, pec… Eeny, meeny, miny, moe…

I guess Lady K could say a thing or two about that order of play. She sounds like an expert to me.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 13 July 2012 03:11 AM

the worst case is when a game master/mistress abandons the s(t)inking ship (leaving the rats on their own).

Ouch!

The one playthrough you participated in, you mean. Tongue

I guess Lady K could say a thing or two about that order of play. She sounds like an expert to me.

She is. Years ago, she helped me get unstuck in the Space Bar.

BTW, I remembered something you won’t like. No subtitles. Frown

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 13 July 2012 03:42 AM
zobraks - 13 July 2012 03:11 AM

The one playthrough you participated in, you mean. Tongue

Yes, the only one you led since I started being (hyper)active on AG forums.

Fien - 13 July 2012 03:42 AM

BTW, I remembered something you won’t like. No subtitles. Frown

Oh, shucks!

Those game developers never care about stone-deaf old dudes like me.

Then again I can always count on you to supply text in the times of need, can’t I?
You did it already with Bad Mojo and TLE.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Sweet!  I’m in!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

OK, I managed to install The Space Bar:

It just needs a little tweaking: I had to adjust the Compatibility Mode of SETUP.EXE (on the first disc) to Windows 95 - otherwise the installation wouldn’t start. The game must be played in a low resolution (640 x 480 is recommended, but the lowest resolution of my laptop’s screen is 800 x 600, so I play the game in the window(ed mode).
And I turned the Color Quality to 16-bit (although the game seems to work with 32-bit colo(u)rs too).

I still have to watch the intro, I skipped it the first time around.
The Space Bar looks just like I knew it would look (yeah, I’ve seen the screenshots before), but it will take some time to get used to the interface. There are many controls (buttons, switches) and I have to see what all of these are for.

I like the many options you’re given when encountering that bug in the picture above. Looks like you can punch it, be friendly, abuse it or make jokes with it. Nice game.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 13 July 2012 03:41 PM

It just needs a little tweaking: I had to adjust the Compatibility Mode of SETUP.EXE (on the first disc) to Windows 95 - otherwise the installation wouldn’t start.

Didn’t work for me Neutral

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

If you feel lucky you can try this. It could be kind of fun too: that procedure sure looks like an adventure in its own right .

BTW, a(ny) game recommended both by Fien and Lady K may well be worthed all that trouble to install.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Heh, yesterday TSP worked fine, but look what I got when I tried to start it this morning:

Edit: Then I decided to use the same medicine I prescribed to Oscar and I made the game work again!

When Fien opens the playthrough, I’ll describe the (not very complicated) procedure for forcing TSB to behave.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Is Wednesday okay for everybody? I’ll be busy today, but I could write and post the introductory post for the community playthrough tomorrow. That will give everybody time to get the game started.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That’s okay with me. As soon as you start the thread I’ll supply the step-by-step giuide (with pictures!) for (hopefully) hassle-free playing of TSB. It works for me for sure.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top