• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 12 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I think Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is favourite game in the series. I liked the mystery around time travel (and the huge clock!), and the story managed to be genuinely emotional without being gratuitously sappy (as it was in the 4th game). I hated, however, that once again it ended with a huge cop-out, revealing that all the secondary characters were not real.

Still, I’m getting a bit tired with the series and I’m not sure I’ll be getting a 3DS just for the 5th episode. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, however… (if they ever release that one outside Japan…)

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 July 2012 10:57 AM

once again it ended with a huge cop-out, revealing that all the secondary characters were not real.

I didn’t get that impression. I thought they were REAL, they just weren’t REALLY in the future. They were actual people, not hallucinations. I got the impression that some of them didn’t even know the hoax that was going on, but I can’t be sure of that.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Mister Ed - 12 July 2012 11:23 AM

I didn’t get that impression. I thought they were REAL, they just weren’t REALLY in the future. They were actual people, not hallucinations. I got the impression that some of them didn’t even know the hoax that was going on, but I can’t be sure of that.

If I remember correctly, it’s explained that they were all actors paid by Whatshisname (fake Luke). I guess it’s not as bad as the hallucinations in game 2, but it still destroys any emotional investment you may have had in any of these characters.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I would probably agree that Lost Future (the uk title) is probably the best one so far.

The squeezed a movie in after the last western release, but I havn’t watched the movie. It’s set one year before Miracle Mask (5th Game) so i’m not sure if it essential to the plot of the next game.

As for the crossover I think it is coming, but who knows when.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I like the Layton series but I get all the stories mixed up… When I start a new one I completely forgot what happened in the others.

Really glad the new one is coming to Europe this year but the 3DS needs more adventures

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I for one certainly hope they do localise Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright as it’s pretty much the only reason I wanted a 3DS.

Come on Level-5…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I like the Professor Layton series as a whole, but I think it’s hard to pick a favourite. They’re all similar, they all have immense production value, etc.
Curious Village is great since it was original. Diabolical Box improved on some of the original’s flaws, but had a slightly weaker story. This one (Unwound Future) further improved on some of the minor flaws and even had an emotional story to tell, but it also had the most farfetched villainous plot. And the fourth (Spectre’s Call) had probably the best story to tell but it was also more sappy near the end.
I really like all four, can’t we make it a four-way tie?

I wouldn’t buy a 3DS just for the fifth Layton-game, though.
The Layton / Phoenix Wright crossover and the 999 sequel, however… but they’d need an English release first…
And then I’d still have to get the acquisition of a 3DS past the missus… Grin

Unless there’s a sudden explosion of adventure games for the 3DS, chances are I’m going to pass…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

TimovieMan - 16 July 2012 06:22 AM

I wouldn’t buy a 3DS just for the fifth Layton-game, though.
The Layton / Phoenix Wright crossover and the 999 sequel, however… but they’d need an English release first…
And then I’d still have to get the acquisition of a 3DS past the missus… Grin

Unless there’s a sudden explosion of adventure games for the 3DS, chances are I’m going to pass…

^
This

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top