• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your favourite historical games

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien’s scene reminded me I’m a sucker for history, so let’s name some of those titles. Any time period comes in question. Of course, not all games are strict to the facts - one can consider even Monkey Island or Freddy Pharkas a history game as they deal with pirates or western theme.

I’m yet to play some good prehistory/Ancient Greece & Rome themed game - as there’re not many of these - as for prehistory, I’ve heard only of Echo from Kheops; also, I did try recently Wrath of the Gods which seemed interesting. Quest for Glory 5 is more of a fantasy, but it has a neat Greek vibe to it.

As for the Egypt series, I’ve played only Egypt 1156 B.C.: Tomb of the Pharaoh. Also, it might be set in modern times, but I’m having an eye for some time on Riddle of the Sphinx & The Omega Stone.

As for the middle ages, like I said in that other thread - I’ll definitely play all of the Arxel Tribe games, along with a couple of Cryo/index + ones. Crusader particularly looks tempting.

Out of a Kheops bunch, I’ve played Destination: Treasure Island and Secrets of Da Vinci. Will play the rest of it.

Journeyman Project 2 and 3 touches different time periods and places.

As for the Victorian times - I feel earlier Sherlock Holmes titles - Serrated Scalpel and especially Rose Tattoo feature some authentic data, like buildings and the architecture.

The Last Express is close as it gets since you’ll travel through the Europe in “real time” and listen to different native languages.

For WW2 titles it’s similar like with the “ancient” - I feel the potential hasn’t been fully used - because of bad critics I haven’t played those like Undercover or A Stroke of Fate.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I really love how the first two Broken Sword games touched upon stuff like the templars and such. Very interesting. Other than that I don’t think I’ve played that many adventure games with a focus on history - or real history anyway.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Broken Sword 1 and the 3 Gabriel Knight games are the only history themed games I like, it seems. Meh

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Diego, there’s an ancient adventure taking place in Rome. SPQR: The Empire’s Darkest Hour. I believe the environment is historically accurate. Didn’t get very far in it, didn’t like it. Very hard puzzles. Lots of scrolls to read. But I enjoyed edutainment game Wrath of the Gods.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien, what is your favorite history adventure Pan  Read the title Pan

Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I was just trying to be helpful and I get panned!
Boohoo…boohoo… sniffsniff…poutpout
My favorite historical adventure?

TLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLETLE

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I enjoyed seeing the different time periods of the Louvre Museum in The Messenger (aka Louvre: The Final Curse).  They covered Medieval, Renaissance, the French Revolution, and Modern times with characters in the appropriate costumes.  There were maps showing how the structure appeared at that time and other info as well.  Since the player often went back to the same rooms, it was interesting to see how the interiors changed during the building’s history.

I also enjoyed the historical aspects of Timescape: Journey to Pompeii.  The characters were stiff and awkward, but the locations were historically correct, and I had fun with the puzzles. 

Adventure at the Chateau d’Or had accurate locations and lots of history, but it wasn’t a very well designed game otherwise.  In a place that big, I wanted more places to explore, and the story was thin indeed.

One other game that comes to mind is The Cassandra Galleries.  Each room of the gallery has a theme (Classical, Egypt, Medieval, Ancient China, Art Deco, etc.) and you get to travel to these time periods.  The places you visit are imaginary but have the flavor of the time, and the puzzles are all related.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Not surprisingly, two of my favourite historical titles are The Legend of Lotus Spring and Qin: Tomb of the Middle Kingdom, both focusing on Chinese history (although the latter game takes place in the then-near-future of the year 2010!).

Lotus Spring is more like an interactive experience, you click on items to activate cutscenes. There is a “final” cutscene, but after it plays you can still wander in the gardens at your leisure. (The beautiful song that plays during that scene always makes me weepy-eyed Cry, trust me, the last thing you want to see is a sobbing demon! Wink)

I sort of liked China: Intrigue in the Forbidden City too (another Cryo title) but the character designs were butt-ugly!

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I loved The Legend of Lotus Spring and the gorgeous animated scenes each simple puzzle triggered.  It was a sad and beautiful story.  I haven’t replayed it since my computer upgrades because it only runs on an old version of Quicktime (3, I believe). 

I have been looking for the Mac version of Qin for a long time.  Mystery Manor has some great screenshots of it that make me want to play it, but no luck so far.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

do you (Diego) consider Nostradamus a Historical Game, because then it would be my Favorite

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

They can’t really be considered historical mainly because of the main character but I really enjoyed Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series. Especially Jack the Ripper was from a history viewpoint very interesting though I also really enjoyed the case of the Silver Earring and Arsene Lupin for it’s emersive Victorian feel. (The Awakened I enjoyed for other reasons)

Also not really a historical adventure game but I also really like Lost Horizon. It had very good main characters and a nice story with some real history integrated in it. And it did very well convey the 30s mood and feeling.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I finished Riddle of the Sphinx a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it very much (especially its riddles Smile )!

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

Even though you mentioned it I’d still say that the ‘Best historical game’ is The Last Express.  I think captures the second decade of the 20th century wonderfully.  Also the games greatly benefits from it’s art nouveau styling and excellent soundtrack.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Egypt 1156 B.C.: Tomb of the Pharaoh and I really liked it. My favorite historical adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon had some nice history and lore.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

From a truly historical perspective I would have to nominate Qin. Unfortunately, it is possibly one of the most boring games I ever played.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top