• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Quantum Conundrum - adventure or not?

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Arial Type - 27 June 2012 05:34 PM

With pure puzzlers we have one or a couple of concepts that keep exploiting during the whole game. At least that’s how I see it Smile

But doesn’t that also describe something like Loom? And I’d say that’s definitely an adventure game. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of games where puzzles are all simply inventory-based strike me as one-concept puzzles. It’s just that that’s a single concept that we associate with adventure gaming.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 28 June 2012 05:41 AM

If you blindly follow the “official” definition of adventure games, literally every game would be considered an adventure game. Look at Half Life, Postal 2, Duke Nukem Forever. Story? Yes. Puzzle solving? Yes. But OF COURSE they are too different. That’s why we put them in different genres.

No, the definition says “FOCUS on puzzle-solving within a narrative framework”.  Not merely “has” some puzzles and story.  No one would ever mistake any of the games you mentioned for being focused on puzzles.  Just like no one would ever mistake Gemini Rue for being focused on action even though it has some shooting segments. 

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the second half of the same definition says “generally with little or no action.” 

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

If Portal can’t be an adventure, then Myst can’t be an adventure. THe myst series never dwelled on the idea of collecting billions of items to progress the game. It was all about exploring and solving puzzles (puzzles which are no doubt more insane that Portal).

Portal combines cinematic progression through the story, while incorporating complex characters with puzzles that are seamlessly blended into a fully realized world. If HOG games can’t be adventure games even though they are severely simplified versions of any adventure game, then Portal 2 and every modern adventure game should still be…and Adventure game.

It is disheartening to see over time Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Dear Esther, and now QC argued to not be anything like an adventure game.

Its so blind, and at times pathetic to see people compare such radically different games like HL2 or even Postal 2 to QC or Portal 2.

Edit: Despite the definition provided on AG, people still argue it despite it being the MOST OBVIOUS definition for a genre. Yet people still throw names like Duke Nukem around.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Mister Ed - 28 June 2012 11:36 AM

But doesn’t that also describe something like Loom? And I’d say that’s definitely an adventure game. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of games where puzzles are all simply inventory-based strike me as one-concept puzzles. It’s just that that’s a single concept that we associate with adventure gaming.

I also thought about Loom. A very unique and definitely conceptual game. It’s also quite short, with the story taking over 60% of gameplay, so it never feels like puzzle solving. I bet if it came out as a longer 1st person game, it would’ve been considered a puzzle-adventure.

Inventory or Myst puzzles usually make you act and think differently, while puzzlers limits you with strict rules. For example, if you have a crowbar and a rope in your inventory, you can do whatever you want with them, unless you come across a dark cave and need to light a torch. There’s no multitasking.

The same can be said about adventure games compared to RPGs. Usually you can’t pick up more than one kind of an object, sell it to earn money, etc. At the same time, RPGs and puzzlers limits exploration. In most puzzlers you can barely click anything that is not gameplay-related. Genre restrictions are normal.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Arial Type - 28 June 2012 12:31 PM
Mister Ed - 28 June 2012 11:36 AM

I also thought about Loom. A very unique and definitely conceptual game. It’s also quite short, with the story taking over 60% of gameplay, so it never feels like puzzle solving. I bet if it came out as a longer 1st person game, it would’ve been considered a puzzle-adventure.

Inventory or Myst puzzles usually make you act and think differently, while puzzlers limits you with strict rules. For example, if you have a crowbar and a rope in your inventory, you can do whatever you want with them, unless you come across a dark cave and need to light a torch. There’s no multitasking.

The same can be said about adventure games compared to RPGs. Usually you can’t pick up more than one kind of an object, sell it to earn money, etc. At the same time, RPGs and puzzlers limits exploration. In most puzzlers you can barely click anything that is not gameplay-related. Genre restrictions are normal.

Nothing about Portal was strict in rules moreso than general adventures. Everything was organic, your experience with the puzzles is based on your intelligence, at times giving you various ways of tackling a specific puzzle.

Portal 2 had heavy emphasis on puzzle, story and exploration.

Multitasking isn’t a limitation for Adventure games. That was a limitation for the time adventure games were popular. Not at all a genre restriction.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Monolith - 28 June 2012 12:10 PM

Edit: Despite the definition provided on AG, people still argue it despite it being the MOST OBVIOUS definition for a genre. Yet people still throw names like Duke Nukem around.

I’m not comparing CQ to Duke Nukem. I’m saying comparing Portal or QC to Day of the Tentacle is just as ridiculous as comparing CQ to Duke Nukem… so actually you’re the one doing that lol.

It is disheartening to see over time Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Dear Esther, and now QC argued to not be anything like an adventure game.

None of those games “focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework” while also providing “little or no action”.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Adventure or not, one of the best damn things to happen to games in general is adopting traits previously only found in this genre. The fact the likes of Mass Effect and Deus Ex: Human Revolution have so much in common with the old school adventure can only be a good thing.

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 28 June 2012 04:54 PM

None of those games “focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework” while also providing “little or no action”.

I haven’t played those ones but another one that comes to mine is the Telltale Jurassic Park game which was reviewed here. The puzzles in that game were as infrequent as the shooting in Gemini Rue and there was a lot of action. Still I think because it’s Telltale people expected it to be reviewed, and it’s not the website’s fault the game turned out that way.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Monolith - 28 June 2012 02:30 PM

Multitasking isn’t a limitation for Adventure games. That was a limitation for the time adventure games were popular. Not at all a genre restriction.

Well, to each his own I guess. I also like experiments and don’t like restrictions. For example, I found Omikron: The Nomad Soul to be a 100% adventure game, while the AG staff disagree Smile

But I have no problem with games like Portal and Quantum being reviewed on the site, of course. I would even vote for introducing more cross-genres and experimental stuff.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top