• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 28 September 2020 08:38 AM

Legend has it that, when Myst sales completely overtook the King’s Quest V sales, Ken Williams called Jon Bock in his office, gave him a copy of Myst and asked “Can you make this?”, hence some of the similarities.

And, as I mentioned in the “Time for” thread, Ken was also obsessed with Tomb Raider, and suggested to Bock that Lighthouse was not only going to take on Myst, but was the jumping off point to take on Lara Croft as well. I think I also said that I saw no possible way that was going to happen.

Jon Bock did a fairly credible job trying to promote this “mashup” concept on Compuserve’s Sierra section on GAMERS forum. No game was ever produced.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Re: the box puzzle. I recall that the puzzle didn’t need to be totally solved when you first arrived at the lighthouse. In this case I did check the WT and found that was, indeed, the case. So I left it partially solved.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

TimovieMan - 28 September 2020 02:47 PM

Hehe, “check on the baby” was my first instinct. I even found it odd that I couldn’t heat the milk I gave her to calm her down. Babies usually don’t drink refrigerated milk…

Wow, I missed that completely. I don’t even remember having any milk?! It’s not impossible I did and forgot about it in the amassing of junk though. Meh

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I also have now arrived at the beach.

I’ve never played the game before - 1st person puzzlers featuring lonely exploration don’t always keep my interest but so far so good!

I found the interface comfortable & as it was similar to other games I’ve played it seemed natural to look up & down so no problem there.
I was stumped though by what to do with the pots outside the front door before realising that I had to click & drag them to find the key - this seems to be a mechanic that’s not used anywhere else so far.

I’ve played very few games where in scenes there isn’t any indication of items that can be interacted with or picked up although I did discover later that you could choose for the cursor to highlight when hovered over ‘hotspots’. The cursor highlighted so subtly I didn’t find it that useful which I didn’t mind but I would have liked items in the inventory to be labelled.

I missed the ‘event’ in the bedroom - as I obviously did whatever to trigger it? before I got there to witness it.

I found the lab puzzles difficult as I have to work hard at puzzles that have anything to do with machinery but could have kicked myself for forgetting about the larger power switch before peeking at a walkthrough.

Otherwise I did enjoy the puzzles apart from opening the safe which I found very picky. The puzzle box as far as you can get I found fun - I did wonder if the logic behind the fish puzzle was to do with , as with other games I’ve come across, a vague visual clue somewhere e.g. the two colours in the checked sides of the puzzle box - one of them is a shade of blue so if you press the 4 blue shapes to find it opens up the bottom fish maybe you would just go on to try another 4 (same number of squares on sides of the puzzle box) colours?   Just a thought!

I especially liked reading the journal pages which as well as giving info as to why the protagonist (you) are there, what’s happened & what you need to do it’s left me wanting more!   

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I remember the first time I played the game, I had my sound off. So, after I first saw the baby, I missed completely the “sequence” in the bedroom (I could not hear the baby’s cries) and then got really terrified when I looked again over its bed and found it empty.  Grin

EDIT: I realize I must be close to the spot Lady told us to stop, when I saw the tower behind the direction you see when entering the portal

EDIT2: Ok. I found the end of the beach and I see the Tower in the distance. For the moment I collect rocks (5 thus far), found some other stuff and info lying around and finally found an interaction between 2 of my inventory items (the Toy Soldier and the Mechanical bird). I believe I have to stop for now.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 29 September 2020 10:42 AM

I remember the first time I played the game, I had my sound off.

Wow, I couldn’t play if that was the case.

If I can’t play a video game with the speakers on, then I’m playing with headphones, and if I can’t do that, then I’m just not playing.
Sound, sound effects, voices, music, etc. are all too integral to the experience to be shut off - even in games where they’re detrimental to that experience.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sefir - 29 September 2020 10:42 AM

EDIT2: Ok. I found the end of the beach and I see the Tower in the distance. For the moment I collect rocks (5 thus far), found some other stuff and info lying around and finally found an interaction between 2 of my inventory items (the Toy Soldier and the Mechanical bird). I believe I have to stop for now.

Ah, I stopped as soon as I got to the beach, is there more to do before the actual stopping point then?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Intense Degree - 29 September 2020 11:46 AM

Ah, I stopped as soon as I got to the beach, is there more to do before the actual stopping point then?

There are three things to find. You can randomly click on small stones you see scattered on the beach. When you’ve got five that’s all you can gather. If you see a glass bottle, click on it. The message will contain information you’ll need later. There is also a metal device that you’ll need to get into the tower. I haven’t found the last one yet. If anyone has run across it, an approximate location would be appreciated. I don’t think wandering around the beach violates the spirit of Lady K’s directive. I think she was really saying “Don’t enter the Tower!” but I could be wrong.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just stopped when I went through the portal. I looked at a few screens until I saw the one with the tower in the distance and quit there.
Searching for rocks and other items I’ll leave for the next session. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I did mean stop after you got through the portal, but there’s no harm done because at the time I was thinking you could see the tower from that point.  There are five players who haven’t reported that they finished the first section, so I don’t want to jump the gun on them quite yet.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 29 September 2020 03:35 PM

I did mean stop after you got through the portal, but there’s no harm done because at the time I was thinking you could see the tower from that point.  There are five players who haven’t reported that they finished the first section, so I don’t want to jump the gun on them quite yet.

Sorry. But you can’t see the Tower from that point. Which puts me in an interesting position. I’ve wandered around, and now can’t seem to find my way back to the portal. I’m sure I will find my way, but I should have drawn a map and/or used compass notations.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

When I was a kid, I remember reading a walkthrough for this game, it was rather spoilery so kind of revealed the story which made reading the walkthrough fun even without actually having the game Smile That was my only experience with lighthouse… Later on, I tried Myst, hated it and that turned me off from myst like games…

I’ve now reached the beach, so far I’ve actually rather enjoyed the game. The journal is great, it makes me interested in knowing what happens next. The lack of labels in the inventory and the not so great highlighting of the cursor is rather annoying though (it’s really hard to see the difference on the cursor)

For the safe, it took me a long while to open it. I didn’t realize that I needed to do a full turn counter clockwise before selecting 5, so had to pass the 0 twice

The fish puzzle did feel rather random and could have been much better.

I rather liked the lab puzzles but I didn’t notice the plug upstairs

All in all, it’s been fun, the game has really aged well graphic wise and I’m looking forward to continue.

Oh by the way, if anyone is using a mac and got the gog release, it’s possible to extract the scummvm files directly from the exe file available on gog without running a windows VM by using “innoextract”. It’s a software installable through homebrew… The files from gog are directly compatible with scummvm and include the latest patch so it’s rather convenient. I don’t really understand why they don’t just pack it for macs since it’s crossplatform…

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 29 September 2020 02:17 PM

haven’t found the last one yet. If anyone has run across it, an approximate location would be appreciated.

At the furthest end of the wooden pier.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 29 September 2020 08:57 PM
rtrooney - 29 September 2020 02:17 PM

haven’t found the last one yet. If anyone has run across it, an approximate location would be appreciated.

At the furthest end of the wooden pier.

That is a serious Pan I was there and saw nothing other than the bottle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Alright, I’m also done. Finally. Got stuck on the safe puzzle and on resetting the PC for a looong time. Even with the hintbook and the tips in this thread I couldn’t figure out the logic behind opening that safe. In fact I’m terrible with those, never used a safe in my life, and opening in-game safes always depress me for some reason. This

Sefir - 26 September 2020 07:03 PM

A similar riddle was the reason I stopped Black Dahlia

is also true about me. Black Dahlia was such a nice game, but I just couldn’t get past that damn safe and gave up. Was luckier with this one, although I’ve no idea how I solved it back in the day. I also kept missing this location

TimovieMan - 27 September 2020 07:16 PM

Have you checked behind the cage in the lab

until I discovered it by luck. Strangely enough, I had no problem locating the wire above the tower’s lamp or pulling the main switch outside. I also solved the puzzle box rather quickly and fed the baby, then witnessed that creepy kidnapping scene. From what I remember, I followed the creature straight away during my first playthrough and left many things undone, but never got into a dead end situation.

All in all, I’m enjoying Lighthouse. It’s fairly non-linear, with great atmosphere, intriguing plot, plenty of good old pixel hunt and some outside-of-the-box thinking. The lack of descriptions is a bit frustrating, but I have no problem with the interface in general. It was done better in Shivers 2 though. I also admit there are some Myst-ish vibes here and there, especially as you go through the portal to the beach.

rtrooney - 25 September 2020 07:13 PM

Again, Doom seems to have succeeded. I assume, if he is playing this on a Win10 machine he simply Alt-Tab to go to Windows mode and the Alt-PrtScn and then whatever he does to edit the screenshot.

I actually didn’t try to take screenshots, I used The Sierra Chest. It’s a great website with a huge gallery for every Sierra game.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top