• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Offensive subject or content in games?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished both Edna and Harvey games, they are OK at best. Offensive dark humor in both games. I bought them for 99 cents each. Play only if you can tolerate offensive dark humor and you can find them cheap.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I played & finished them a longer time ago, but despite the dark humor, I don’t recall anything offensive about them (though I may have different standards here, e.g. I didn’t consider the previously discussed spoiler about the game offensive - not in the way it was presented in the game, at least).

I do recall enjoying them both, especially the second one. (First one’s a bit rough around the edges, though I did play the original - there is a remake now, I hear)

As a contrast, I found Deponia considerably more offensive at times (you know which times), though I still loved it a lot.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mikekelly - 10 June 2020 09:28 AM

I finished both Edna and Harvey games, they are OK at best. Very offensive dark humor in both games. I bought them for 99 cents each. Play only if desperate for a game and you can tolerate offensive dark humor and you can find them cheap.

Could you please give some examples of the “very offensive dark humor” in Edna and Harvey. You do enjoy adventures with “mature subject matter”, such as “violent killings” and “hookers being tortured to death”, right?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes I do enjoy games with offensive dark humor. I got a few chuckles out of the game.

I found the game marginal due to illogical puzzles and extremely simplistic art work.

You had to kill several children, a stuffed rabbit that talks has a vision of a man graphically dismembering a child with lots of gore and blood. You have to solve a puzzle by stabbing a patient. You turn a clown into goo.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I still haven’t played the sequel for Edna & Harvey, even though I very much enjoyed the first game. But I think the first game at least handles the disturbed theme rather brilliantly. Edna seems rather innocent at the start of the game, just doing a bit of mischief like messing up the surroundings with her marker and scissors. As the story progresses, the darker themes are revealed - first the hospital’s and then also Edna’s own - at some points leaving the player very disturbed. To me it that was really the point of it all, it’s really not a “nice” game, even though the cartoon art style might lead someone to believe so.

I definitely felt sorry for the Sam&Max; rats and the DoTT hamster, but I don’t really think those are exactly “crossing the line” as the games are super wacky and have silly cartoonish violence in them all around.

To me Edna & Harvey’s tone was really closer to - let’s say - The Cat Lady than Sam&Max; or DoTT. It’s a more humorous take for sure, but it’s still psychological horror. (I also very much enjoyed the interactivity of the game and didn’t really find the puzzles that illogical.)

I should probably play it again though, to have a fresher feel of it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I’m not sure I’d call that “offensive” though. I suppose if you find violence in general offensive, but it’s so common in all media that then you basically can list all games and movies and stories and if we talk about anything that can offend anyone - and there’s always someone who will be offended by any idea - the discussion becomes kinda meaningless, in my mind ...

For Edna if I absolutely had to find something I’d wonder more about the way mental illness is portrayed; with its crude stereotypes. That’s the sort of offensives (if I notice it) that kinda bugs me, because I know it’s not intentional. Edna killing people is part of the story and the devs put it there with a thought and as part of the concept of the game. If I don’t like that, it’s not the game for me, but that’s okay; not everything is for everyone.
But the other stuff is more of a byproduct, a carelessness, so I’m more divided on that (in this particular case really not too much since it’s comedy in general, but in other similar cases).

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

When playing both the Edna and Harvey games a walkthrough was my best friend. Here’s an example why:

You have to destroy a garden gnome with a mallet. Then collect the pieces and put them in water to get clay. This is actually impossible. Also, you have to melt gold in a house furnace, this was also impossible.and ALSO you have to remove a bolt from a chandelier using a balloon.

Also for some reason for graphics the faces were often drawn without major features such as mouths or noses. Now, for 99 cents I am not too picky. And these are the latest versions of the games too. I can see why many people like the game, it is funny in a VERY dark and twisted way that many may not see coming.  Also, it is very different from the norm in both plot and characters.

Now I playing Dangaronpa which is similar in many ways, great characters an original story and some dark humor, and I love the puzzles and the art work.

Heart

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Mikekelly - 11 June 2020 07:34 PM

You have to destroy a garden gnome with a mallet. Then collect the pieces and put them in water to get clay. This is actually impossible. Also, you have to melt gold in a house furnace, this was also impossible.and ALSO you have to remove a bolt from a chandelier using a balloon.

I don’t really think it’s possible to use a wire hanger to travel through floors either and plenty of other examples. The game obviously doesn’t completely follow real life logic and one shouldn’t really expect it do so. Not that one wouldn’t be allowed to dislike the puzzles anyway.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Also for some reason for graphics the faces were often drawn without major features such as mouths or noses. Now, for 99 cents I am not too picky. And these are the latest versions of the games too.

This is somewhat like criticizing a rock song for not having a full-blown orchestra in it, or a minimalist painting for not being renaissance style.

The graphic style is a conscious choice (I mean, it’s not difficult to draw a mouth), and one of my favorite things about the game.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Glad to see there are people who like the games. I did finish them. There are people who posted in this thread who stopped playing them after only an hour who really didn’t like them.

Ninth - 30 May 2020 03:49 PM
I stopped playing Edna and Harvey in disgust an hour in after I had to kill two kids in a gruesome fashion (one eaten and one blown up).

I kept the games and will play them again in the near future and see if I like them better. They did get 3.5 stars on this site which is pretty good.

Heart

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

When playing both the Edna and Harvey games a walkthrough was my best friend. Here’s an example why:

Also for some reason for graphics the faces were often drawn without major features such as mouths or noses. Now, for 99 cents I am not too picky. And these are the latest versions of the games too. I can see why many people like the game, it is funny in a VERY dark and twisted way that many may not see coming.  Also, it is very different from the norm in both plot and characters.

Now I playing Dangaronpa which is similar in many ways, great characters an original story and some dark humor, and I love the puzzles and the art work.

Heart

Here are some other characters drawn without mouths. Dreadful, awful artwork. Without exception.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Laughing
NOW that’s funny. Someday, I am going to play Edna and Harvey again, maybe I’ll love the the second time. I hated Tormentum Dark Sorrow the first time I played it and loved it the second time so we’ll see.

Heart

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mikekelly - 10 June 2020 09:05 PM

Yes I do enjoy games with offensive dark humor. I got a few chuckles out of the game.

I found the game marginal due to illogical puzzles and extremely simplistic art work.

You warn people about the offensive drak humor of the games even though you don’t feel offended. And you don’t warn people about the illogical puzzles and extremely simplistic art work, although those were negatives for you. I don’t get it. But that’s okay.

I agree with cyfo, donuts and millenia.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-06-28

PM

Well, it’s understandable. He’s not shocked by the dark humor but knows other people could be offended/shocked by it, while liking or disliking the artwork is a matter of taste.
The illogical puzzles, though, could be a problem.

Still, regarding the original topic of the discussion, I’m not against dark humor and brutal/offensive content… if it’s justified by the story. Seeing people mutated into monsters or ripped apart by gravitational anomalies isn’t shocking in the Stalker games, neither are [some spoiler-heavy moments] in the Metro franchise, but sometimes, I’m shocked by less violent stuff in other games and shows because it’s out of place, and is more of a statement by the author than an actual part of the storytelling and worldbuilding.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Strela_9 - 30 June 2020 03:15 PM

Well, it’s understandable.

I disagree.

He’s not shocked by the dark humor but knows other people could be offended/shocked by it, while liking or disliking the artwork is a matter of taste.

Artwork is a matter of taste but humor is not…? Interesting.  Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top