• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

iOS Adventure Games

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2005-08-22

PM

For quite some time, I only used a PC or Mac for gaming. But now that more and more Adventure games are out on iOS devices, my phone has become a somewhat believable device for games. I don’t believe that this can become my platform of choice (I like a bigger screen) but when you really want to try a game and you don’t have anything to run it on (I don’t own a PC these days), iOS becomes a very interesting choice.

Have you played adventure games on iOS devices and if yes, how do they fare? I’m a little anxious about the touch interface. I bought Monkey Island 1 on iOS and was completely disappointed in the controls which were horrendous and made me mad. I’ve seen that Inherit the Earth and the Last Express are on iOS. Are there other games like that?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The first two Broken Sword games are out on iOS where they’ve been huge hits. And those are in my book absolute classics - some of the best games the genre has to offer, no matter what the device.

Joined 2005-08-22

PM

Oh yes, forgot about them. Actually played them on iOS first. They were enjoyable to say the least. Very sadly, I bought them off the French store, so they were in French.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I have an iPhone and based on the small screen size, I’d recommend you steer clear of ports by iPhSoft (Inherit the Earth, Simon the Sorceror, Flight of the Amazon Queen). If you found Monkey Island SE frustrating on the iPhone, imagine that, only moreso. By all means, play these games, but you’ll probably want to do so on a PC or at least a tablet.

See this thread for more recommendations about iOS and Android games:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1236/

As I mentioned there, Nintendo DS to iPhone ports are usually a good bet because the big buttons are very touchscreen friendly.

When in doubt, check Youtube and see if you can find anyone playing the game you’re considering on iPhone. Reviews are great but seeing the interface at work can be informative. For example, I’ve only played The Last Express on PC, but looking at the videos, I’ve noticed that the iPhone port has an added hotspot highlighting overlay that I find pretty ugly and distracting. According to Emily’s review for AdventureGamers you can turn it off, but FYI.

Joined 2005-08-22

PM

Thanks for the link!
It’s true that DS ports are usually great. I had a blast with Ghost Trick. What I found frustrating in Monkey Island was that you had to drag the cursor around instead of touching the relevant spots. I remember that I had to switch between versions of the game so I could actually do the seagull puzzle. Thanks for the link, again.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Well, in fairness to iPhSoft then, their ports do have two modes (a touch to interact mode and a drag the cursor mode) which are easy to switch between using an icon in the top left. But all the objects and buttons on screen are obviously very small. And the touch mode uses this little window that raises a small, square chunk of the screen above your finger so you can see it—which does solve a precision problem, but it’s a little odd.

Anyway, the ports are playable once you figure out quirks like the fact that you can touch and hold over a button or dialogue choice and if you selected the wrong one, you can drag to change your selection before you release, so you don’t need perfect aim. But I wouldn’t call it a pleasant or easy interface. It’s hard to port games like this that weren’t designed for tiny touchscreens. Your mileage may vary.

Here’s a video of Inherit the Earth on iPhone, though the user only demos touch mode (see time index 4:20), never drag the cursor mode:

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here is the deal. I came to IOS after 6 years of playing games on the PS VITA. It was time for an upgrade. Today the Switch is the obvious choice. I went with IOS due to remote play with the PS4.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

So I remember back when I got this windows tablet, I think it had Win 8 on it (yeah I know), and I went on to the store trying to find adventure games on there, and I only found like hidden object style games that were labeled as adventure games.

I would like to say however, if you can find the Layton bros. game, I recommend it.  It’s not a life changer, but it’s good for killing some time.  I actually have several phone game recommendations that actually play like a game.

For now, the layton bros detective game, is more like Phoenix wright, yes you point and click around the crime scene and interrogate people and stuff, but there is no pixel hunting for the most part.

I heard pajama sam got a iOS release.  I am maybe not the target demographic for pajama sam, but I’m still trying to to get it on wii instead.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have about 62 adventure games on IOS. I really like the touch screen for adventure games. Graphics wise I would say the Life is Strange games are the best.

Many PC conversions of older titles get a remake when brought over to IOS with some graphics improvements. To me, the best handheld on the market for playing adventure games is the iPad mini. The Switch is good too but has an inferior screen and does not support remote play.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

My fav mobile phone exclusive adventure games:
-Love you to bit
-Device 6
-Lost Echo
-Monument Valley 1 and 2

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I really recommend Tangle Tower and the first game in series Detective Grimoire. TT is the better of the two and they are not story connected, so I recommend you to finish TT first and then play DG too. Both are great games and perfect for touch screen.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I completely agree, Detective Grimoire is one of the better adventure games for the iPad, I enjoyed it. I am currently replaying all the wadjeteye games, they use the touch screen quite well also.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The classic adventure game Danganronpa 10th anniversary edition is out for IOS. I am playing it as we speak. Looks great and the extras are fun. The touch controls work well and it’s great to be playing this classic again. Dangaronpa 2 and 3 are scheduled to be ported later this year.

Heart

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 10 June 2020 09:24 AM

The classic adventure game Danganronpa 10th anniversary edition is out for IOS. I am playing it as we speak. Looks great and the extras are fun. The touch controls work well and it’s great to be playing this classic again. Dangaronpa 2 and 3 are scheduled to be ported later this year.

Heart

So I found an english patch online for the PSP version, and it was pretty okay, but I had never played a game like that before so, I was more just saying WTF is going on?  over and over.

I thought the ultimate-highschool__________ would make more sense in later titles, but if anything, the ultimate powers in the first one make WAY more sense that the ultimate powers in the 3rd.  But at least in the 3rd, I felt the puzzles were more fun and varied… Sometimes too varied, as they introduce you to like 6 or 7 different mechanics all in the first case T_T

Because of how minimalist the interaction is, I imagine it will port really well, but I hope they let you move around easier.  It was fine on the psp where there is a thumbstick, but on a tablet?  IDK

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Because of how minimalist the interaction is, I imagine it will port really well, but I hope they let you move around easier.  It was fine on the psp where there is a thumbstick, but on a tablet?  IDK

It actually plays very well on a tablet, the touch controls work perfectly, as well as sticks and buttons on the PSVITA. The trials are especially much easier on my tablet. No matter what platform you pick, Dangaronpa is a great game now and 10 years ago. One of the few series that got better with each sequel.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top