• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissiefurgotten

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Track down a serial killer in ancient China as Detective Di on May 1st

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Had my expectations in check and absolutely ended up loving it.

Imho really solid game with zero complaints really. I want to say that the whole experience felt to have ended all too soon, but in retrospect it had the right length to tell its story instead of resorting to unnecessary padding.

-Music was solid
-Visuals took me 5 minutes getting used to
-Puzzles were entertaining and not too challenging
-But the ultimate stand-out aspect is the story and its writing.
I am well acquainted with the mystery genre(huge fan of golden age murder mystery stories)
Good build-up of the mystery, well-paced, interesting all throughout with a resolution that ended on a high note.
Rich plot without being complicated. This all of course achieved mostly by its writing which was written in a clear language and to the point with the right amount of humour sprinkled throughout(some games characters tend to rattle on or talk all too prosaic which can be annoying in mystery type of games).

8.5/10

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

Origami - 07 May 2020 05:26 AM

Had my expectations in check and absolutely ended up loving it.

Imho really solid game with zero complaints really. I want to say that the whole experience felt to have ended all too soon, but in retrospect it had the right length to tell its story instead of resorting to unnecessary padding.

-Music was solid
-Visuals took me 5 minutes getting used to
-Puzzles were entertaining and not too challenging
-But the ultimate stand-out aspect is the story and its writing.
I am well acquainted with the mystery genre(huge fan of golden age murder mystery stories)
Good build-up of the mystery, well-paced, interesting all throughout with a resolution that ended on a high note.
Rich plot without being complicated. This all of course achieved mostly by its writing which was written in a clear language and to the point with the right amount of humour sprinkled throughout(some games characters tend to rattle on or talk all too prosaic which can be annoying in mystery type of games).

8.5/10

That certainly made my day!

Thanks for the kind words ;- )

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Just read NickyLarsons post and realized my opinion is almost identical to his lol.

Forgot to mention that Detective Di did really well for me especially is because checked off all the boxes for things I look for in an adventure game(some of them already mentioned in my prev post) and omitted the things that hold me back a lot in these types of games. I actually enjoyed the game not having too many clickables and the omission of voice acting. I think these things actually worked in its favour. Too often the completionist in me wants to click on everything to exhaust all the text and never do I skip dialogue because I want to hear everything spoken and it slows down the pace for me personally, also want to bring up again the to-the-point writing. The game is streamlined in a way that I can really appreciate and for the solid mystery to be told in a very effective way.

The game is very balanced in its scope of story and the tools used to tell it.
I am fine with games having a more rudimentary look or omission of features like voice-acting if it doesnt feel like the developers had to make compromises. I dont like to go through a game and be able to tell “ahh they intended to have this in it” or “ahh they cut back on this” “rushed ending because they ran out of money” etc. In that sense this game felt really consistent and complete as it seems like it did what it set out to do.
(Hope I am getting my point across lol)

This game gets added to my list of successful kickstarter-funded games.
So far in that list:
-Detective Di
-Broken Sword 5
-Shovel Knight
-(ultimate no.1) Bloodstained

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top