• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

famous comedy characters from adventure games

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

I wonder if other people perceive famous comedy characters from adventure games same way as i do.
Roger Wilco is lazy and ambiotionless. So it sort of makes sense that he can save the day -he is not complete failure, he just doesn’t try when he is not forced to.
Larry Laffer is socially inept and unatractive.He is actually good at solving problems that doesn’t involve human interactions. I have stressed elswhere that his ability to solve puzzles most definitely makes sense. 
I used to think that Guybrush Threepwood is underdefinied, but i changed my mind. He was young and inexperienced in first games so after the second game new designers did go wrong making him essentially into goofy grownup.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

My feeling is that Guybrush changed a lot from the 1st to 2nd games. He’s achieved his goal of becoming a pirate, he’s got his girl, he’s more mature but is still determined and a little bit clueless. The difference with Curse is that he got a voice.

I don’t know if I see Roger as lazy either. I sure as hell wouldn’t be working at a burger joint like crazy or going to all the lengths he did to save the galaxy!

My view of Larry is way different from 1-7. He’s only socially inept in the later games where you don’t control the dialogues. I think they made him stupider and goofier so that he wouldn’t come across as creepy (which I still think he does btw).

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

IMHO Guybrush changed by the second game. I remember thinking “Wow, what a badass pirate with his piraty clothes, little beard and all those treasures in his pockets”. He even tries to flirt with captain Kate at one point, and generally acts more mature and cool. In Curse it’s really hard to tell what he is supposed to be. Seems like he was simply borrowed from a typical Disney cartoon - they always have some kind of goofy immature guy just for laughs.

Now Simon the Sorcerer is a weird character. He starts like an everyday schoolboy, then out of a sudden he is a sorcerer with magical powers and a cynical, mature sense of humour. Is it some kind of defense mechanism gained after he gets stuck in this fantasy world, or he has been always like that? He starts rather innocent, with that cute dog as his best friend and all, but gets more cruel and destructive with every new game. I still like him.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Doom - 02 May 2020 04:23 PM

Now Simon the Sorcerer is a weird character. He starts like an everyday schoolboy, then out of a sudden he is a sorcerer with magical powers and a cynical, mature sense of humour. Is it some kind of defense mechanism gained after he gets stuck in this fantasy world, or he has been always like that? He starts rather innocent, with that cute dog as his best friend and all, but gets more cruel and destructive with every new game. I still like him.

Simon is to certain extent authors voice -someone who comments fantasy cliches from outsider’s point of view. They seemed to add more “not my world thus not my problem” attitude in 2 and 3. 3 also has nice comeuppances for most his nastier deeds, which seems to be very British to me -if someone plots something that is cunning but morally questionable in British sitcoms it tends to explode back to their faces.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top