• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken sword 1 directors cut

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

As I’m playing Broken Sword 3 my wife came in and watched me and even played some of it. she is not very good at video games bc she cannot control the camera and move at the same time, but since Broken Sword 3 has an automatic camera it drew her in and she said well can I try the first one.

So she downloaded it on my daughter’s iPad and has been playing it, with me helping her every so often. but here’s the fun part I have never played the director’s cut so all the Nico scenes are new to me as well and while I miss some of the dialogue and animations from the original, it is actually quite interesting to see what Nico was up to during the whole time George was out on his adventures. I always wondered why she didn’t go with George to Ireland and all these other places, so I feel like the new content actually makes a lot of sense. What is funny is her sections feel just like Broken Sword 5 as far as puzzles go so you can see the direction Revolution was going in. It was also genius to bring back the original voice actress for Nico. Wife and I just made it to Ireland at 5 hours and she said she is really enjoying it.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Jdawg!
Aw that’s so romantic!  I’m envious of your adventurous marriage.

Also I have never played the original, but I picked up the Director’s cut on Wii for like $2.50 back when I was working at the game store because I had heard of the IP Broken Sword before, and had just started to collect adventure games (also for that price it could have been the worst game…).  And I even had a fascination with like secret societies, and conspiracies and all that. 

And it turns out broken sword is amazing! I have no nostalgia for any of them, but people have often referred to this as the development studio’s magnum opus.  I personally prefer BaSS.  Although really I don’t mind George, he’s kind of a clueless guy, and so I feel like some loser tourist when playing as him.  I really prefer playing as Nico.  I think she is great.  And since I’ve never played the original, I can’t imagine the game without her in a bigger role.  Do you still have to meet with her etc in the original?  I like her intro pretty well as it teaches you how to solve simple inventory-object puzzles, and convince people to help you.  The very first moment George has to travel to a different country, I was just like, “Holy snap, the scope of this game is pretty big.”  My only detractor from this game is the art style.  Beautiful for the time, and ages amazingly well, I just don’t like it.  It’s just a personal preference thing.  It reminds me of shows like Archer, and other like weird flash animation type-looking stuff.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 28 March 2020 10:34 AM

Jdawg!
Aw that’s so romantic!  I’m envious of your adventurous marriage.

Also I have never played the original, but I picked up the Director’s cut on Wii for like $2.50 back when I was working at the game store because I had heard of the IP Broken Sword before, and had just started to collect adventure games (also for that price it could have been the worst game…).  And I even had a fascination with like secret societies, and conspiracies and all that. 

And it turns out broken sword is amazing! I have no nostalgia for any of them, but people have often referred to this as the development studio’s magnum opus.  I personally prefer BaSS.  Although really I don’t mind George, he’s kind of a clueless guy, and so I feel like some loser tourist when playing as him.  I really prefer playing as Nico.  I think she is great.  And since I’ve never played the original, I can’t imagine the game without her in a bigger role.  Do you still have to meet with her etc in the original?  I like her intro pretty well as it teaches you how to solve simple inventory-object puzzles, and convince people to help you.  The very first moment George has to travel to a different country, I was just like, “Holy snap, the scope of this game is pretty big.”  My only detractor from this game is the art style.  Beautiful for the time, and ages amazingly well, I just don’t like it.  It’s just a personal preference thing.  It reminds me of shows like Archer, and other like weird flash animation type-looking stuff.

I adore the art style, but it was downgraded a bit for the directors cut, plus there are many animations and hot spots that were taken out. To answer your question, the original starts with the cafe bombing. Nico stays in her apartment in the original to the final. You dont play as her at all.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

This is the wife and i.

12628451-10209102020136046-2402659854286690649-o

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Aw Y’all are incredibly precious!

Heart

I rightly assumed with a name like jdawg that you must be incredibly gangster.

Mystery Solved

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 28 March 2020 11:55 AM

Aw Y’all are incredibly precious!

Heart

I rightly assumed with a name like jdawg that you must be incredibly gangster.

Mystery Solved

Lol gangsta who loves adventure games. Honestly a life long friend has called be that for yrs, jdawg or jbone.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

It’s cool that you and the wife are having fun playing the game together. You guys are an adorable couple. 

Still can’t get over them replacing the iconic “paris in the fall” intro, though.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-03-28

PM

Every few years I try to get my partner to play a classic adventure game, and it never quite turns out like I imagine. I am jealous! I think I am going to try to convince him to play DoTT with me since during quarantine. He loved Maniac Mansion as a kid, so hopefully we can bond over Bernard.

I recently played the directors cut myself on my iPad, the first time I have played it since I was a kid! I was also happy with the increased role of Nico, but it did interrupt the practically-perfect pacing of the original (common in “director’s cuts” of all mediums). And much as I do love Nico, changing the iconic beginning feels like a loss.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 29 March 2020 02:08 AM

It’s cool that you and the wife are having fun playing the game together. You guys are an adorable couple. 

Still can’t get over them replacing the iconic “paris in the fall” intro, though.

Agree, i think the game should have kept the same opening, but had flashbacks to the opening parts to nico’s sections of the game.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Harrietvane - 29 March 2020 06:37 AM

Every few years I try to get my partner to play a classic adventure game, and it never quite turns out like I imagine. I am jealous! I think I am going to try to convince him to play DoTT with me since during quarantine. He loved Maniac Mansion as a kid, so hopefully we can bond over Bernard.

I recently played the directors cut myself on my iPad, the first time I have played it since I was a kid! I was also happy with the increased role of Nico, but it did interrupt the practically-perfect pacing of the original (common in “director’s cuts” of all mediums). And much as I do love Nico, changing the iconic beginning feels like a loss.

I totally agree, but the changing of some puzzles and no death scenes has helped her a lot. Also since there are now more limited hot spots, the game does not overwhelm her. Her biggest problem is remembering sometimes you have to talk to characters multiple times, and some inventory items can be used more than once. She has helped me with a puzzle in other games, but this is the first time she has tackled an adventure game by herself, so she is not used to adventure game logic yet.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

“...Not used to adventure game logic yet.”

What do you think about this used rag I found in the sewers?

Anyone?!

No?

Why is no one interested in my used sewer rag?  I just don’t understand.  LMAO

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 30 March 2020 07:24 AM

“...Not used to adventure game logic yet.”

What do you think about this used rag I found in the sewers?

Anyone?!

No?

Why is no one interested in my used sewer rag?  I just don’t understand.  LMAO

The puzzle that got her most was having to show the police officer the clown nose in order to get the juggler to give you the Balls again. she said i would have never thought of that or even trying that

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I got inspired to play through the BS series again. Began playing the DC of BS1 but pretty soon quit and went for the original instead. Don’t care for either the new/lost content or inteface of the DC. Probably has to do with nostalgia though.

One thing that bothered me (again) is the lack of proper introduction of the Lochmarne gem in the story. If you go to Ireland immediately after leaving the Crune museum (having found the tripod) nothing makes sense regarding George’s knowledge of the gem and I think some topics regarding Peagram and the dig are not even possible to discuss. If you go to Nico’s apartment first (which the game obviously expects you to do but still allows you to fly to Ireland) things make more sense. But still the introduction of the gem itself in the story is a bit abrupt.

Don’t remember if this was fixed in the DC.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 31 March 2020 04:39 AM

I got inspired to play through the BS series again. Began playing the DC of BS1 but pretty soon quit and went for the original instead. Don’t care for either the new/lost content or inteface of the DC. Probably has to do with nostalgia though.

One thing that bothered me (again) is the lack of proper introduction of the Lochmarne gem in the story. If you go to Ireland immediately after leaving the Crune museum (having found the tripod) nothing makes sense regarding George’s knowledge of the gem and I think some topics regarding Peagram and the dig are not even possible to discuss. If you go to Nico’s apartment first (which the game obviously expects you to do but still allows you to fly to Ireland) things make more sense. But still the introduction of the gem itself in the story is a bit abrupt.

Don’t remember if this was fixed in the DC.

It was, you have to go to nicos place first.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Here’s something I found interesting my wife said she loves George and Nico by themselves in the game but for some reason does not like them together at all. she says Nico becomes lifeless when they are together. I dont feel that way, but i did find that interesting.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Jdawg445 - 31 March 2020 08:07 AM

Here’s something I found interesting my wife said she loves George and Nico by themselves in the game but for some reason does not like them together at all. she says Nico becomes lifeless when they are together. I dont feel that way, but i did find that interesting.

That is interesting I think.

I wonder whether it’s because the original just had George as the player character and Nico was obviously always going to be playing second fiddle to some extent. As the DC adds playable Nico sections, it must feel weird to have her point of view some of the time but then only George’s when they are together, if you’ve come straight to the DC. Maybe?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top