• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shadow of Memories/Destiny

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I just beat this game last night, and I think it’s really great, and I recommend you guys play it soon!  It should cost you $10 or less, I’ve seen it listed for $5 many times. And from beginning to end, you can finish it in a little under 5 hours, depending on how many times you die.  But if you want to see all the endings, then you may have to breeze through it another time or two.

The graphics look great for the time in my opinion.  With a little smoothing up, I could easily have seen this on a dreamcast, but for now, I’ve only played it on ps2.  Please let me know what you think about the PC versions or PSP versions.  The other thing about the ps2 version is that it controls great (which is rare for home console AGs).  No tank controls, just walk around naturally with the left stick.  L1 and R1 turn the camera which is… okay maybe I shouldn’t have said great….  Square opens the inventory menu, and X is interact, Triangle is map.  I think that’s it.  Thank goodness!

The sound design is passable.  I mean you hear this one track a lot, but it’s an enjoyable song, and sounds like it would be a soundtrack for a thriller movie which is really appropriate. Some of the voice actors are rough, but really they are better than some of the character animations.

The script writing is pretty good.  I mean this game’s strength is not the dialog so much really.  There is a pervasive feeling of mystery, and even of something being not quite right.

The time travel aspect is quite good, and I hate time travel media (does the zero escape series count as time travel.  I don’t think so…?).

I tried to check the review on the site, but I can’t get it to load.  Looks bugged out or something. 

The overall goal here, (not a spoiler) is to prevent your own death. This game has a real-time mechanic, but it shouldn’t really ever come up unless you forget to press the pause button or something.  There are a few situations where you have 5-10 seconds to solve a puzzle, but really, you already know what to do when you arrive.  Not a big deal.

So my favorite part about this game is the puzzles! 

Part of the puzzles remind me of a Sierra game, because the game will let you make mistakes, and they result in your death, and sometimes your death is hilarious and helps you learn what you have done wrong. 

The puzzles are a mix of those creative uses for items that we’ve come to love (read: tolerate), and very blatant obvious puzzle solutions.  The blatantly obvious puzzles don’t feel too boring because they are intertwined with a time traveling puzzle (think carmen sandiego) as well.  So okay, a rope has limited uses, but maybe the puzzle is more focused on which time you use the rope (just as an example). 

There is a hint system in game built in by the character writing down his objectives in a notebook.  Sometimes the hints are a bit behind, but if you were to forget your objective, at least it is written down.  Oh, and I didn’t need to take any notes or got out a piece of paper or anything.  Really between the time travel device, the inventory, and the built in note system, while you might get stuck, you never feel defeated or overwhelmed.

Along the way, you meet a few characters that are pretty interesting, the story has a strong twist in it, and multiple endings with the ability to skip dialog and cutscenes already viewed.  While the dialog is nothing to write home about, I will say that it tends to either be filler dialog, or dialog that is relevant to your objective.  Because of that, talking to people in this game can be a really big help.  If you’ve just arrived in a new time period, it’s a good idea to talk to people wandering around to see what important events are happening concurrently.

This game is divided into 10 levels I think, and you can only save in between them. This usually will not be an issue unless you run out of time travel juice, and then have to start the whole level over.  I really like these adventure games with clear levels for some reason.  Just like Zack and Wiki on wii has well divided levels.

Anyways, please buy this game for cheap, beat it real quick, and let me know what you think!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I loved it! I liked that so many of the puzzles have multiple solutions, though it seemed a bit random how the choice of solutions affected which ending you ended up with. I wasn’t so keen on the completionist aspect though - from what I remember to get the ‘real’ ending you have to have tried every single possibility along the way, across multiple playthroughs.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I loved the game too & if I’m correct I think it’s the first adventure game to be released on PS2.  Smile

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Another fan here, although I don’t remember much about it apart from a few scenes and the basic premise. Played it on PS2 many years ago. May be time to replay it if I can get the PC version to work.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

chrissie - 09 March 2020 08:59 AM

I loved the game too & if I’m correct I think it’s the first adventure game to be released on PS2.  Smile

And one of the very few adventure games originally developed for that platform… Smile Glass Rose, SOS: The Final Escape (Disaster Report in the US?), its follow up Raw Danger and Echo Night: Beyond come to mind. And a few ports, such as MI4, Myst 3, Fahrenheit and Broken Sword 3. Lot’s of great “almost” adventures though, especially in the survival/horror genre. Silent Hill 2 and 3 and Project Zero 1 and 2 (Fatal Frame in the US) are among my favorite games ever. I think Shadow of Memories/Destiny fits the same mold, only being very light on the action (if there was any at all, but I remember there being almost constant time pressure at least).

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Other adventure games that I have for PS2 are Syberia 1 & 2, Largo Winch & Atlantis 3.  Smile

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

chrissie - 09 March 2020 10:22 AM

Other adventure games that I have for PS2 are Syberia 1 & 2, Largo Winch & Atlantis 3.  Smile

I did my first playthrough of Syberia 1 and 2 on the PS2! Actually quite good ports.

I played Largo Winch on the Gamecube. An underrated game if you ask me.

There. I promise not to derail this thread further. Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Veovis - 09 March 2020 12:35 PM
chrissie - 09 March 2020 10:22 AM

I did my first playthrough of Syberia 1 and 2 on the PS2! Actually quite good ports.

I played Largo Winch on the Gamecube. An underrated game if you ask me.

There. I promise not to derail this thread further. Smile

I don’t see any derailing of thread here - oh yes, away from Shadow of Memories! Pan  Laughing

Yes, I loved Largo Winch which I would agree was underrated due to a few turn-based action sequences but in my mind more puzzle orientated than action so as a game more adventure.  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The PS2 did not have a huge amount of adventure games released for it. One of the very best and the first was Shadow of Memories/Destiny. I loved this game in the day - I wish the PS2 had more games like this on it. I still have this game and a PS2 so I really need to replay it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I have only beaten Syberia 1.  I had it on switch, but I ended up beating it on PC.  I had no clue there were ps2 ports.  Since I don’t have any physical copies of Syberia series, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for my collection (the switch ports are pretty good, and I think physical releases in pal region).  Syberia 2, I got stuck on the very first puzzle of the game.  I mean…. I’m embarrassed really.  I came back later to give it another shot.  Still stuck.

I have never heard of Largo Winch?!  Which, of course I haven’t because, what kind of a name is Largo Winch?  I can’t wait to try this game out then.  Is that Pal only regions or something?  I’ll be keeping and eye out for this and that Atlantis game.  Pal regions get all the good Adventure games T_T

And while I’ve played a little of fatal frame, and games like it, They don’t seem to scratch either the horror itch, or the adventure itch for me. 

Fragile Dreams on wii, does a good job of being kind of horror, kind of adventure, kind of action.

So I guess the only question I really have left about Shadow of Memory/Destiny is:

“Do you think it is worth it to try to see all the endings, or at least the best ending?”

Shadow of Memories is pretty forgiving in that you really don’t have to sit through most cutscenes or dialog again, or at least you can skip or fastforward, and just get a little summary.  So it probably won’t be too hard to do.  My understanding is that choices at certain story parts (they are pretty well marked as important) affect outcomes in story, although I don’t know that it’s clear what choices lead to what result, so maybe following a guide, or keeping a list of permutations of choices so that you can methodically get the good ending is the best idea.

The ending that I got included: The weird alchemists’ son Hugo went mad with time traveling power, threatened to kill his sister (?iguess?) gets smushed or some dumb thing, sister goes home to live her life alone.  I go back to my time having avoided death for the 12th time today, give the digipad back to homunculus, realize how short and valuable life is.  Lay in the street to appreciate the stars, and I’m promptly run over by drunken kids….. The end.  But I was really shocked that the one girl I accidentally sent back to the 1500’s for 4 years wanted to STAY in the past!  Maybe she will respond differently if I play a different way.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

I quite love this game.  I played the PSP version.  There are a lot of games with time travel as a plot device, but very few with time travel as a real gameplay mechanic (that puts this right up there with Day of the Tentacle). 

I’ve never done enough replays to get the true ending.  Is it hard to do?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Loved it. Still waiting for this game to be released on Steam. It had a PC release and there is already a catalogue of Konami games released on it so should be feasable?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top