• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is it illegal if someone wants to make a cancelled game ?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’d love to see a GK4 so where’s that petition? I will confess that I’m dubious as to whether a petition will work in this case but why not try.  Smile

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

chrissie - 21 January 2020 12:00 PM

I’d love to see a GK4 so where’s that petition? I will confess that I’m dubious as to whether a petition will work in this case but why not try.  Smile

I think everyone is Smile I haven’t made one yet, still looking for a fan to write it. If not, I’ll try myself.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Trying yourself would be great otherwise you’ll be joining the club of members here who would like the hard work of their ‘good ideas’ to be carried out by someone else.  Laughing

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

chrissie - 21 January 2020 12:59 PM

Trying yourself would be great otherwise you’ll be joining the club of members here who would like the hard work of their ‘good ideas’ to be carried out by someone else.  Laughing

Ah I don’t mind either way. I just wanna help the game creators and get GK4 done Grin

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GK4 should be a big-budget game done by a proper studio, or there is little point in it. Even Telltale/Pinkerton Studios/Microids/Red Thread Games couldn’t match the production values of their (or their designers’) previous games. The only remake/sequel to a popular 90s game that came close to the original in terms of production is Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. (and even that is a stretch, because the drawings in the original hold much higher artistic value)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

diego - 21 January 2020 01:31 PM

GK4 should be a big-budget game done by a proper studio, or there is little point in it. Even Telltale/Pinkerton Studios/Microids/Red Thread Games couldn’t match the production values of their (or their designers’) previous games. The only remake/sequel to a popular 90s game that came close to the original in terms of production is Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. (and even that is a stretch, because the drawings in the original hold much higher artistic value)

Agree to disagree. I think the story is the point. Something like Broken Sword 5 would be fine for me.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Hannes084 - 21 January 2020 09:56 AM

We’ve all got our opinions but at the end of the day, do you wanna see a proper ending to GK saga in lower budget or do you wanna be left hanging forever.

I’d rather see a proper Gabriel sequel done with a proper budget, not for a pittance. What many people fail to understand is, that back in the day, Sierra games were the equivalent to modern AAA games. They had big budgets and big teams working for them, so a 100k budget isn’t nearly enough. Jensen found that out the hard way with Moebius, which ended up as an overly ambitious pancake that did nothing well.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

tomimt - 21 January 2020 01:57 PM
Hannes084 - 21 January 2020 09:56 AM

We’ve all got our opinions but at the end of the day, do you wanna see a proper ending to GK saga in lower budget or do you wanna be left hanging forever.

I’d rather see a proper Gabriel sequel done with a proper budget, not for a pittance. What many people fail to understand is, that back in the day, Sierra games were the equivalent to modern AAA games. They had big budgets and big teams working for them, so a 100k budget isn’t nearly enough. Jensen found that out the hard way with Moebius, which ended up as an overly ambitious pancake that did nothing well.

That will NEVER happen tho. Activision will not sell the rights to them no matter what. I’d rather have Jane finish the series than someone else decade later.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Hannes084 - 21 January 2020 02:10 PM

Activision will not sell the rights to them no matter what.

Activision is not a religious cult, it’s a company doing game business. They sell everything if the price is right, if you put enough money on the table, you can buy the entire Activision for sure.

I would assume that the price for Gabriel Knight can’t even be that high, because it’s not a profitable brand anymore. Of course it can be more than Jane Jensen or someone can pay for, because if the brand is not profitable, there’s no way to make any of that money back from future sales.

Of course Activision isn’t very easy to deal with, like they prevented Al Lowe from selling his original Leisure Suit Larry source code, even though Activision owns none of that…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If Activision won’t sell it, and won’t make the sequel we have two options: Make the game ourselves and name it Kabriel Gnight 4. The second option is to play a spiritual dance next to Activision headquarters inviting lighting upon them until they have no other choice but to make the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Considering Activision allowed The Odd Gentlemen make a new entry to King’s Quest, they definitely aren’t against people using their IP’s. All you need is money.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

tomimt - 21 January 2020 03:49 PM

Considering Activision allowed The Odd Gentlemen make a new entry to King’s Quest, they definitely aren’t against people using their IP’s. All you need is money.

Ask Jane yourself. They’ve tried for over a decade. They’re not getting the title for any amount of money. Only possible if the company wants to make the game. That’s what Robert said to me. And what Jane has said over and over in interviews and on Facebook.

Instead of arguing about this, we could trust the words of those who actually created the characters and made the games. I’m just trying to help the situation. But I should’ve just done a petition and kept my mouth shut… It’s just that I’m not a great writer so I would’ve preferred if someone who had skills wrote it instead.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

diego - 21 January 2020 03:09 PM

If Activision won’t sell it, and won’t make the sequel we have two options: Make the game ourselves and name it Kabriel Gnight 4. The second option is to play a spiritual dance next to Activision headquarters inviting lighting upon them until they have no other choice but to make the game.

Or we can make an appealing petition via changeorg and try our best? Well.. Those who actually want a GK4. Probably in vain, but hey I’m willing to give it one more shot anyway. I mean it can’t cost that much for them to produce it and allow a final chapter to be released if it’s anything like what adventure games have been lately. I’m sure other companies would gladly get involved in financing it as well.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

So anyway, this went off topic fast. But if anyone is willing to participate in this please send me a pm. Let’s at least try. Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Please don’t see your idea as shot down in flames here Hannes084, I’m pretty sure many members here would love to see GK 4 but just don’t believe it’s possible.
Just let us know if a petition turns up -  I for one don’t feel my writing skills are good enough to submit a worthy pitch - hopefully someone else with more talent may rise to the challenge & PM you.    Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top