• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

If you use a walkthrough to finish a game then you can guarantee you won’t like the game. That’s pretty much adventure gaming 101. Does the use of walkthrough cause the apathy or the other way around? Who knows, but I’ve never used a walkthrough (substantially) to get through a game and liked it at the same time.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

well it’s not the 90s anymore. some of those puzzles i had absolutely no idea how i would have even figured them out. I disagree too about walkthroughs though, I almost always use walkthroughs these days for games and still manage to enjoy them.  Half the wadjeteye games I used walkthroughs after being stuck while some I managed to figure out almost all the puzzles on my own.  It’s just a different era now and getting stuck on some part of a game because you didn’t use the right kind of ‘look’ icon or the correct way to combine an item or etc things like that just aren’t any fun. I will typically try at a puzzle for 15-20 min and if I’m stuck longer than that, walkthrough time. The old school hint books are nice because they don’t flat out tell you exactly what to do and you still have to figure out bits and pieces.  Overall I would say Unavowed handled puzzle difficulty the best of any recent game I played and that was a completely enjoyable experience. The puzzles were mostly completely logical and I only had to look up things once or twice after being stuck. It’s not fun to be stuck when you just want to advance the story and keep the flow going. my 2c *shrug*

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Right. However there is a huge difference between using a walkthrough after being stuck and reading a walkthrough to get through a game, like you did with GK1.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found the GK1 remake to be rather good. I have the original, but much prefer playing the remake. Puzzles were actually fairly interesting in the remake and fun to solve.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished A.D. 2044, a Polish adventure game from 1996 which I discovered by accident during the Farm Quiz. Never heard of it before, but I actually watched the movie it is very loosely based on (Sexmittion) and enjoyed it. The game was also compared to Lost in Time, and anything with a Coktel Vision touch is always a yes in my book. On the other hand, everyone at GOG gave it a one-star review which is rarely seen. Both the movie and the game are dystopian comedies about a distant future where women killed all men and formed a totalitarian feminist state. In the movie two men from our time woke up from the cryogenic sleep. In the game there’s only one man and… no women. Only female androids who also seem to be designed by lonely men: big boobs, thongs, love for small animals and not much concern about the only male prisoner on the loose.

The whole game is just as silly and pointless, with no story or characters to speak of. The devs were obviously into the mid-1990s multimedia craze when many games looked like interactive music videos. The camera flies from screen to screen, freezing at different angles, while you have to spot every little pixel and search every dirty corner looking behind tables, inside flower pots and under bridges (along with the camera). It might sound cool, yet those areas could be reached only from certain angles, and there’s a LOT of pixel hunting involved. At times the protagonist himself says something like “Look, in the upper left corner!”, so the devs realised it wouldn’t be much fun for the player.

Lost in Time had similar masochistic gameplay along with a flying camera, but it wasn’t the only feature, and everything had its logic. The main feature were the cool inventory combinations MacGyver-style. In 2044 those are rare and basic, and so do other inventory puzzles. The items are randomly spread across the rooms. You can pick up an item and place another item instead - I don’t know what’s the purpose, I used it only ONCE to solve a puzzle. The game is very linear and short, you even get used to the gameplay after awhile. It’s just too trivial and uninspired.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 08 December 2019 05:56 PM

Finished A.D. 2044, a Polish adventure game from 1996 which I discovered by accident during the Farm Quiz.

Too bad you didn’t participate in my They Do It With Mirrors quiz. Frown If you use the handmirror on yourself you see the refection I used in the quiz:

You’re the only man in a female world and you look like a woman?? Transgenderism may be a hot topic now, but AD 2044 is 23 years old.

I agree with your minireview, except for the zooming (mentioned in that other thread). It felt like my eyes were the camera, as if I was moving my head to peer behind and under objects, and “diving” to the floor. I did like that. IMO the zooming in Lost in Time was not nearly as remarkable.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 08 December 2019 08:15 PM

You’re the only man in a female world and you look like a woman?? Transgenderism may be a hot topic now, but AD 2044 is 23 years old.

Maybe it’s some advanced feminist mirror that shows everyone as a female? Grin Or maybe it’s just another of those weird jokes pulled by the devs. The protagonist is supposed to be a male even according to the story in the game manual. And he speaks in male’s voice.

The camera movements were pretty great, I enjoyed that too, and the graphics looked alright even by today’s standards (I especially liked the house). What I didn’t like was that items would appear only after the zooming had ended, like somebody quickly places an object when the cameraman stops the camera. This is probably a result of their (rather useless) feature that allows players to drop inventory items. In Lost in Time you see the items as you zoom in and don’t see them after you’ve picked them up.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 25 November 2019 06:59 PM

I found the GK1 remake to be rather good. I have the original, but much prefer playing the remake. Puzzles were actually fairly interesting in the remake and fun to solve.

Heart

I agree and I know a lot of people complain about the voice acting but I found that every voice actor slipped into the role nicely as the game went on

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I enjoyed both versions of GK1.  Smile

I’ve just played the final part of Sally Face i.e. Episode 5 but was unable to complete due to (for me) the difficult arcade sequences towards the end although I understand there is a ‘cheat’ to bypass them which I’ll try sometime.
But I couldn’t complete episode 4 either because of a difficult timed sequence towards the end.
I wouldn’t have minded except both sequences didn’t occur until I’d been hooked by the first three episodes which had no hint of anything timed after getting me engrossed in what seemed to be (& actually is) a fascinating story.

By the end, the story (for me) lost it’s appeal due to the plot being quite convoluted & over-complicated but until then the game had been an interesting adventure.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I was trying to play gabriel knight 2 again through gog, and it uses scum now and the game froze. My saves are gone. Does anyone have a save on chapter 4, i was near the lake after talking to the ludwig expert

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

finished gabriel knight 2 again. I liked it a whole lot more the 2nd time through.

Finally trying still life next. Im getting cold steel 3 for christmas so that will eat up a lot of my limited gaming time

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im on chapter 3 of still life and my thought so far is this game is painfully average to slightly below avg. The game is not very interesting to look at, very boring environments. The VA ranges from decent to pretty bad and robot sounding and the puzzles are meh at best. Plus there is very little to interact with at all in the game. Plus I think the main woman protagonist might be a bit bi polar lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think im done with still life, I dont like the characters much, the game is not very interesting to look at and the puzzles range from bad to eye rolling bad. Here I was thinking I am a detective yet the main puzzle of chapter 3 is baking cookies. Not only is that dumb, but the recipe is written in a way to make it more challenging for no logical reason. All the puzzles feel out of place in the game. Like the safe puzzle in chapter 2, why does an old man who cant hear or remember things have such a complicated safe. I think this has all the trappings of bad adventure game tropes and not many of the good ones. Plus the acting is ok at best and the story has done nothing to really engage me. I do like some of the CGI cutscenes though, and I do like the morgue lady to say something positive. 3/10 for me for what I have played. Onto something else. Im been trying to itch a need to play a detective type game.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

“Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love”: I enjoyed this point-and-click-adventure. Pretty nice graphics, good voice-acting, some good humor and funny game/movie-references. Most of the puzzle-element were logical and there’s a hint-system if you get stuck.
Overall I give it 7/10 and would recommend it.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 December 2019 03:29 PM

I think im done with still life, I dont like the characters much, the game is not very interesting to look at and the puzzles range from bad to eye rolling bad. Here I was thinking I am a detective yet the main puzzle of chapter 3 is baking cookies. Not only is that dumb, but the recipe is written in a way to make it more challenging for no logical reason. All the puzzles feel out of place in the game. Like the safe puzzle in chapter 2, why does an old man who cant hear or remember things have such a complicated safe. I think this has all the trappings of bad adventure game tropes and not many of the good ones. Plus the acting is ok at best and the story has done nothing to really engage me. I do like some of the CGI cutscenes though, and I do like the morgue lady to say something positive. 3/10 for me for what I have played. Onto something else. Im been trying to itch a need to play a detective type game.

I hated exactly two puzzles in Still Life, the same ones that you bring up if the safe puzzle you refer to is that puzzle box in an attic. The cookie puzzle is deranged and the puzzle box just tedious. Liked the game a lot otherwise.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top