• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beautiful Desolation

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

We have unchained ourselves from our desks to bring you a quick update on our progress with BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION.

While Nic continues to implement the events in the game I have been detailing and creating the cinematic videos that appear throughout the adventure.

These videos will be fully voiced, and using facial capture, we hope to bring the characters to life.

Enjoy a few non-spoiler animated gifs:

Still images:

Take care,

Chris & Nic

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Don’t other developers need an entire team to get graphics like this??? Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

beautiful execution!

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Incredible work so far guys! Gasp Definitely Beautiful, maybe no so Desolate after all, Wink

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Very impressed, cant wait to play the full game.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Missed the game announcement, now it is definitely on my most wanted list. This is how modern adventure should look and play. Also great you include optional fights, the game setting just asks for them.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Sorry to be the sceptic here, but so far there is nothing presented but eye candy and none of it makes me want to play the game. Moustached gentlemen in helicopters reminds me of generic 80s action movies, and maybe I’m the odd one out here considering the amount of interest compared with other games in development here but I generally like more from my adventure games than pretty pictures.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Looks wonderful. But, would somebody please define the phrase “BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION is a 2D isometric adventure game.” I have no clue as to what 2D isometric means.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

rtrooney - 14 June 2019 09:48 PM

Looks wonderful. But, would somebody please define the phrase “BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION is a 2D isometric adventure game.” I have no clue as to what 2D isometric means.

It’s a graphic style that gives 2D graphics the illusion of being 3D and is viewed from an overhead perspective. Their other 2 games Stasis and Cayne used the same style.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Well as a South African I’m really looking forward to this! Looks pretty damn good and I love the idea of an adventure game set in an isometric Wasteland style post apocalyptic world. Plus I haven’t played a game with a proper African setting since Far Cry 2.

I’ve already seen Table Mountain in one of the trailers. Any other SA sights and sounds to look forward to in the game? :p

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Also I see the game will have some turn-based combat which I don’t mind at all. Just how much combat is there?

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2019 07:59 AM

Don’t other developers need an entire team to get graphics like this??? Gasp

Thanks Tim! Nic and I are really trying hard to push ourselves to create the best possible game. I’ve always loved game cinematics (I wanted to become a cinematic artist at Blizzard for most of my teenage years!) - so now that I have the opportunity to create my own Im going all out!
I will say that nowadays we have access to so many tools that help small creators make cool things.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Advie - 14 June 2019 09:25 AM

beautiful execution!

I see what you did there…

Sir Beardalot - 14 June 2019 03:54 PM

Incredible work so far guys! Gasp Definitely Beautiful, maybe no so Desolate after all, Wink

Thanks! Still a distance to go, but we are climbing this mountain one step at a time.

PlanetX - 14 June 2019 04:33 PM

Very impressed, cant wait to play the full game.

Cant wait to share it!

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Doom - 14 June 2019 07:55 PM

Missed the game announcement, now it is definitely on my most wanted list. This is how modern adventure should look and play. Also great you include optional fights, the game setting just asks for them.

Thanks so much. We really do need to step up our marketing! Right now we are heads down and working on it, but in the coming months expect a lot more from us!

Donuts McGee - 14 June 2019 08:11 PM

Sorry to be the sceptic here, but so far there is nothing presented but eye candy and none of it makes me want to play the game. Moustached gentlemen in helicopters reminds me of generic 80s action movies, and maybe I’m the odd one out here considering the amount of interest compared with other games in development here but I generally like more from my adventure games than pretty pictures.

The 80’s adventure hero is a very purposeful choice - I’m happy that its being telegraphed through the visuals! Beyond the mustaches we have a huge world that you can explore in a non linear fashion, multiple conclusions to puzzles, over 45 different characters - from warlords to scientists to blind map makers and sentient plants - and 90(ish) areas to explore, from old frontier towns and trading outposts to bustling villages.

I will admit that as an artist creating a beautiful game and world has been very high on my list of priorities - but a pretty world is nothing without an interesting story and awesome characters, and an interesting story with awesome characters need to have some awesome gameplay to make it into a good game!
I do think that we have all of those bases covered, but I may be a little bit biased. Grin

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

McCoy97 - 15 June 2019 04:05 AM

Well as a South African I’m really looking forward to this! Looks pretty damn good and I love the idea of an adventure game set in an isometric Wasteland style post apocalyptic world. Plus I haven’t played a game with a proper African setting since Far Cry 2.

I’ve already seen Table Mountain in one of the trailers. Any other SA sights and sounds to look forward to in the game? :p

There are some touchstones and a lot of references that I think South Africans will love - but we tried to move away from including too many well known landmarks in the game…we do have ouma rusks and a LOT of Afrikaans swearing. Grin

McCoy97 - 15 June 2019 04:49 AM

Also I see the game will have some turn-based combat which I don’t mind at all. Just how much combat is there?

Without spoiling too much, there is as much combat as you want there to be. Grin We have no junk fights, and the combat will expand/contract entirely how the player wants it to.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top