• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - crashes

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Hi,
I am playing this game. I’ve made some progress in the game but it crashes in specific places on the map… it’s shows the loading screen like this (picture below) and after a few seconds it crashes to desktop without any error message.

Help me please
Cry

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

What version of the game do you have installed?

Perhaps try to install the latest patch, which seems to be 1.00.4

https://www.patches-scrolls.com/testament_of_sherlock_holmes.php

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Hi,
I’ve reinstalled the game and it fixed the problem.
To my understanding, there seemed to be some missing files.

Thanks CaliMonk Smile

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Hello,

Is using Holmes’ sixth sense in the game considered cheating or is that part of the gameplay?

Thanks,
Abhi

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Abhi D. - 18 May 2023 05:38 PM

Hello,

Is using Holmes’ sixth sense in the game considered cheating or is that part of the gameplay?

Thanks,
Abhi

It’s part of the gameplay. Why on earth would you consider it cheating?
It’s more or less the in-game equivalent of a hotspot revealer.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Hello TimovieMan,

I think I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this genre. Having said that, it’s good to know that using Holmes’ sixth sense is allowed within the framework of legitimate gameplay.

What’s a ‘hotspot revealer’ again? I am not familiar with that term.

Thanks,
Abhi

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Abhi D. - 19 May 2023 09:24 AM

I think I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this genre.

That’s ok. There’s a learning curve to everything.

Having said that, it’s good to know that using Holmes’ sixth sense is allowed within the framework of legitimate gameplay.

If it wasn’t, you’d need a hack or a code or something to be able to access it. If it’s part of the gameplay, then it’s supposed to be used.

What’s a ‘hotspot revealer’ again? I am not familiar with that term.

A hotspot revealer shows all the available “hotspots” on the screen - things you can interact with.
Back in the day, you had to scour the screen with your mouse to find all the hotspots, and it was easy to miss one (especially if it was only 1 to 4 pixels in size). Missing a hotspot could mean getting stuck in the game because you never noticed a certain item that needed to be used in a puzzle or to advance the plot.
A hotspot revealer is a button that just shows all the items on the screen you can interact with, so you don’t miss anything.

Sherlock Holmes’ “sixth sense” shows all the interactive clues that are currently in the field of vision (or plays a sound when there aren’t any - and another sound when you can use the sixth sense again so it’s not a “constant” ability). Just the field of vision, though. If an item is right behind you, it won’t show up until you use the sixth sense in that direction.

It’s basically an aid in making sure you don’t miss anything.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Cool,

Thanks for everything.

BTW, ‘The Art of Murder: FBI Confidential’ has this thing called ‘hints’ in the bottom right corner of the screen, next to inventory and all the other stuff.

Is that also an in-game hint similar to Holmes’ ‘hotspot revealer’ and therefore, legit?

Thanks,
Abhi

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top