• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Alright, we have a lot of people participating, it seems. Excellent!

Now that we’ve all played the prologue, care to share your opinion on a “playable” intro like this? Good idea? Just a gimmick? Too few games do it? Let us know!

Now it’s time to find out just what those Nazis want with Sophia Hapgood.

You have until December 16th to reach this specific screen:

Your travels will eventually take you back to Barnett College, where after doing some SPOILERED task, Sophia will read you your fortune.
Your choice of reply will be threefold. Either think through it alone (“Wits” path), tackle it together with Sophia (“Team” path), or go into action alone (“Fists” path).
Note: the dialogue options may vary, but they all boil down to the same thing.

SAVE HERE!

The screen above is the specific branching point in the game that we’ll be using for the next couple of sessions. So the save you make here will be revisited!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 09 December 2018 03:59 PM

Alright, we have a lot of people participating, it seems. Excellent!

Now that we’ve all played the prologue, care to share your opinion on a “playable” intro like this? Good idea? Just a gimmick? Too few games do it? Let us know!

I think it’s an excellent idea and too few games did it. Like a bonus level, and it still feels like a proper intro. Can’t recall another adventure that did it with such elegance.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 09 December 2018 03:59 PM

It seemed like the beginning of an adventure movie the way it alternated credits with the playable bits.
I’ve played games that had a “playable intro” before, but they didn’t have the same effect.
I think part of the reason is the rousing Indiana Jones music, but also the playable bits were quick to finish and didn’t hold up the intro.

I’d forgotten this was an iMUSE game.
The credits mentioned iMUSE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMuse

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I hesitate to say this after real life meant I completely failed to take part in the last playthrough, but I am going to try and play along this time and have played through the prologue.

I haven’t ever played FoA before so am looking forward to it.

I like the playable intro and think it works very well for this sort of game - i.e. Indy. I don’t think it would fit every kind of game, I think it’s probably the combination of cinematic adventure and humour that Indy brings that makes it work so well.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

The intro was great. Right up there as one of my new favourite intros along with Broken Sword etc.

Anyway I reached that screen. Had to take a quick look at a walkthrough a couple of times. Didn’t know what to do in the temple or what I needed the lamp for. Would never have thought to do what I needed to do without a walkthrough.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve got to the stopping point too.  Yes, I too had to take just a small peek at a walkthrough as I didn’t know what to do in the temple either - I should have worked out how to get the lamp myself but would have been stuck on what to do with it.
The intro was okay!  Thumbs Up

I’m liking the game very much so far & it’s a tad easier (so far) than I expected.  Smile

Sir Beardalot - 05 December 2018 07:32 PM

chrissie, Alt+Enter should do the trick.

Thanks Sir for that tip to get the full screen & the pixels look good!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think the goal should always be to make as much as you can playable in a game. Nothing wrong with cutscenes but if you can find an interesting way to convey the same information interactively then the game will be better for it.

Björn Heimdall is clearly based on Thor Heyerdahl. I really recommend wathing Kon-Tiki, great movie.

Sophia is now waiting at the college for me to reply.

It’s awesome that there are two ways to get the lost dialogue of Plato.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Henke - 10 December 2018 01:49 PM

It’s even better than that: it can be in any of three possible locations, determined randomly at the start of each playthrough, the locked chest, the toppled bookcase and the wax cat, one of which can indeed be accessed in two different ways. I remember really freaking out the first time I replayed the game because the book wasn’t where it had been on my original playthrough and I was afraid I had done something wrong and walked into a dead-end.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 10 December 2018 03:07 PM
Henke - 10 December 2018 01:49 PM

It’s even better than that: it can be in any of three possible locations, determined randomly at the start of each playthrough, the locked chest, the toppled bookcase and the wax cat, one of which can indeed be accessed in two different ways. I remember really freaking out the first time I replayed the game because the book wasn’t where it had been on my original playthrough and I was afraid I had done something wrong and walked into a dead-end.

It’s starting to come back to me.  Tongue

I didn’t remember that there was two ways to enter the theater either.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 10 December 2018 04:06 PM

[spoiler]There are three.[/spoiler] Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 10 December 2018 04:16 PM

Let’s say that the one I’m hereby naming “the last resort” doesn’t count.  Crazy

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 10 December 2018 04:16 PM

Fun fact: the way you choose to deal with Biff determines which path Sophia recommends when she reads your fortune at the end of the section.

(Talk -> Team; Fight -> Fists; Fire exit -> Wits)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for spoiling one of my end-of-section remarks. Grin Tongue

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Kurufinwe - 10 December 2018 04:31 PM

Fun fact: the way you choose to deal with Biff determines which path Sophia recommends when she reads your fortune at the end of the section.

(Talk -> Team; Fight -> Fists; Fire exit -> Wits)

Hmm I used two paths: first by talking my way in, then by exiting and re-entering through the fire exit. I wonder if there’s a hidden paladin path…

PC means personal computer

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Doom - 10 December 2018 04:49 PM

Hmm I used two paths: first by talking my way in, then by exiting and re-entering through the fire exit. I wonder if there’s a hidden paladin path…

First path wins. Sophia will read your fortune and suggest teaming up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top