• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Sinking City

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-02-17

PM

Any news on this one?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Scheduled to release this year. They’ve been releasing development updates regularly, last one was in December.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frogwares

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

seems like its not an adventure game, i was like why the game is using RE4 camera for adventure game , and then he pulled out his gun to shoot down shit

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Looks like biting off more than they can chew.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Some new interview gameplay at E3

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Turns out better than expected,anyone playing?

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’ve been keeping myself from playing ‘cause I am extremely busy until way into August but I caaaaaan’t waaaait!

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Reviewers on console versions rating it as low as possible coz of countless technical issues but i haven’t experience any on pc yet.(after 2 hours of gameplay)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It looks great, I’m not sure about the combat but the specs required are above my PC’s capacity.  Smile

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

So I’m not a fan of frogwares at all. I personally thought Crimes and Punishments was absolutely terrible. But this looks pretty interesting. Wondering if I should give frogwares another chance…

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Frogware’s most ambitious project no doubt,keepin mind that with LA Noire(2011) and Outcast(1999) one of the few open-world adv.games ever, manages to create an outstanding experience.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Iv played a tiny bit (30 mins).. heres some impressions: great graphics, effects and sound. Investigating mechanics seem pretty promising. I like that exploration isnt too driven on objective markers so far.. you can place your own markers related to a case.. but im still exploring on my own. Story and voice acting iv got some mixed opinions on. I think the problem im having with it is so far its just a very blunt “heres what you expect from lovecraft towns, let us throw it in your face repeatedly, nothing in this town is normal.” There’s just a story direction i want to see in gaming that a lot of devs ignore… Get us used to the mundane and trivial before getting whacky.
But regardless, game so far is promising.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Finally finished this, and honestly I was rather disappointed.  There was just so much about this game that was frustrating and not fun. 

The best parts are the kinds of detective-style gameplay that you’re used to from the Sherlock Holmes games (disclaimer: the only other Frogwares game I’ve played is “The Awakened”).  I really liked the fact that you had to do things like research a name you’ve heard in the city records in order to find a lead on where they live, places they frequent, etc.  This part really felt like the kind of stuff real detectives actually do.  And you aren’t automatically given waypoints on your map, you have to figure out an address to investigate and then manually locate it on your map and place a waypoint.  This gets a little tedious doing it every single time, but overall it didn’t bother me too much.  Putting clues together in the memory palace to make deductions is also a great mechanic I want to see more adventure games do.  It could be improved a little bit though.  Since there is no penalty for incorrect deductions, you can just click every clue on every other clue in brute force fashion until you find all the possible deductions from your currently available clues. 

However, every new kind of gameplay that is unique to this game compared to other Frogwares games… is bad.  It seems like the developers asked, “Hmm… what to gamers like these days?  Open world?  Shooting?  Crafting?  Let’s add those things!”  So yes, it’s open world.  But in my opinion that only hinders the game.  The map is this ridiculous, convoluted, and hard to navigate maze of streets.  Many of those are underwater so you can’t walk from one point to another without using your boat (which is not fun).  There is a fast travel system, but in order to use it you need to find phone booths.  It’s hard to find anything visually because the environment is so bland and repetitive, so I often found myself blowing myself up with a grenade in order to find new fast travel points (you respawn at whatever the nearest one is even if you haven’t discovered it yet).  The other problem is (at least on the PS4 version) that loading takes so long that it is often actually faster to just walk than to fast travel and have to sit at the loading screen.  In an open world game you do not want the player to hate having to go somewhere across the map.  This is very, very bad since it is what you are doing for most of the gameplay. 

Shooting is also pretty terrible.  Your bullets always miss and you always die (even with combat set to easy).  Luckily you can often just run away.  Scavenging and crafting is boring.  It’s also ridiculous that you are a private detective doing work for pay, but people in the Sinking City will only pay in bullets.  So doing jobs and side missions feels totally unrewarding unless their story is interesting.  Because shooting is the least exciting part of the game. 

As far as the story… it’s pretty middle of the road as far as Lovecraft stuff goes.  Definitely not a masterpiece, but not uninteresting in my opinion. 

I will say I definitely prefer the Call of Cthulhu game by Cyanide over Sinking City.  Besides being much funner to play, that game looks a lot better than Sinking City.  I was stunned by how much detail was put into the environments of the Sinking City, and yet how ugly the game looks.  There is very little color in the game besides grey and brown, and outside everything is seen only through thick fog.  I wonder if that is their attempt to disguise the draw distance of the game engine like in Silent Hill?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-12

PM

I completely agree with the comment here above.

The game is a total disappointment even though it was a nice try.

It’s coming out on Nintendo Switch in 2 days as well so, before you buy… Keep in mind this is NOT an adventure game, it is a survival horror since combat is NOT optional or secondary. At first it may seem so (secondary quests or optional haunted areas), but the more you play the more the main quests require you to win battles and die and reload and shoot again.

I’m into action games as well so it was not such an issue for me, but this is not Call of Cthulhu. Combat is also hard and frustrating because it is totally clumsy at best. So you WILL die and you will NOT have fun.

Loading times are sooo tedious. Indeed the “fast travel” is a “slow loading screen”.

Open world games should have something to do in their… open world. Here you have nothing, you just move from point A to point B to… avoid the loading screens. The setting is great though, but this is a long game (20+hrs) and you get used to it very fast.

Adventure game mechanics are repetitive and not challenging, so boring.

A good plot could have saved this and put it in the “cult” bucket much like Deadly Premonition maybe. Too bad this is an awful plot instead, with truly bad scripting - a couple dialogue lines here and there, uninteresting characters, nothing to care about.

I usually complete all my games but I had to struggle to win this one. Only to get to… a disappointing hasty conclusion.

Embarassed

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top