• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which is the one adventure that you completed all on your own (W/O any hints or walkthroughs)

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2009-04-17

PM

My game: Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

“Day of the Tentacle” and “Fate of Atlantis” definitely. I think “The Dig” as well.

Finished: Assassin’s Creed 2 (PS3)
Playing now: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (PS3), The Longest Journey (PC)
To continue: So Blonde (PC), Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

At least Loom (there were no hints then), more recently Secret Files 2.

There might be many more but I don’t really pay attention if I check up one or two hints from UHS for instance. So afterwards it’s really hard to remember if I checked up on some one thing or not.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The hardest adventure game I finished without a walkthrough was “Crime Lab” - that is there wasn’t one at all that I could find.

I made it through and felt great when the end credits came. It’s actually a great adventure game.

Sealed Lips

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Quite a few of them because I made it a point of honor with LucasArts games when I was younger and I still feel bad about using a walkthrough.

MI1, MI3, the Dig, Maniac Mansion/DotT, Full Throttle, BASS, Culpa Innata for certain. MI2 I got stuck at 1 point (key behind door!) but it was a fair puzzle. More recently, Grey Matter, A New Beginning, Gemini Rue.

There’s a class of games I will happily check walkthroughs for like Zack McKracken and the Whispered World because I can’t stand it when puzzles are wacky/illogical. I will usually start the game, play for a while, get stuck and hours later check a walkthrough. If it was a wildly stupid puzzle I either stop playing or check the web whenever I get stuck because I didn’t think of using the accordion on the cow to make a fake moustache or whatever.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Most of them.

I only use a walkthoguh if i’ve been stuck for a while or have already played it and want a quick run through.

I don’t see the point of using a walkthough, after all the puzzles are kind of the point.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-27

PM

I can’t imagine anyone ever finishing any of the myst games without a walkthrough, they require inhuman levels of imagination.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I played Myst and Riven through on my own before we had internet but must admit to peeking at a walkthrough once or twice on a couple of follow-ups in the series.  It’s just too tempting.  It’s not as rewarding but it does save time.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sometimes there is no option. The game has a bug or two that stops normal gameplay. The current game I’m playing has one of these bugs. The walkthrough I consulted told me about the bug and how to get around it.

Mini Frown

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

The only games I specifically recall using hints on were Myst:Uru (where there was a puzzle that required an action so RIDICULOUS that, even if I HAD deciphered the clues that were supposed to point me to it I would have assumed I had done something wrong), Myst 4 (there was a puzzle which I was unable to solve due to missing an interaction with a character that appeared in a place I had already been- in this case, though, I took just enough of a hint to realize what I had missed), and a couple of older adventure games where they had game design that made it possible for you to make the game unknowingly unwinnable through a wrong choice early on.

Generally I would never consider looking for hints until I reached the point that the game was so frustrating that I no longer cared about the satisfaction of solving it on my own, but just wanted to get to the end already. I’ve never been able to simply ABANDON a game I started, no matter how bad it was.

My tolerance for frustration is pretty high, though, and I’m pretty good at solving most puzzles.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

I managed Barrow Hill without any hint or use of w/t. That’s why I love it so much.  Wink
I might have managed the games in the Blackwell series as well. I can’t remember using any help on them. Not completely sure though.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of the only ones, I reckon.

If I couldn’t get a hint in the times before I had internet access, then I pretty much had to give up eventually. And since I had a few adventure gaming friends back then, I’m certain I got hints for most of the other games I finished.

Well, there are of course plenty of other games where I didn’t use a walkthrough, but I consider those to be too easy anyway.

I don’t mind taking hints or using walkthroughs. There’s only so many hours in a day, I don’t have the time to be stuck in any one game for too long.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

All of the games I played before 2002 or 2003 when I got an Internet connection I completed without the use of hints, guides or walkthroughs of any kind. That’s probably 15 or so completed adventures and a lot I gave up on along the way. I completed just about every Lucas Arts game except Zak McKracken and Monkey Island 4 (because it was horrible, horrible abomination of a game).

These days I more often than not end up cheating with hints and such. I try to keep it to a minimum though.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Recent ones would be Gemini Rue and Botanicula, but both are on the easier side.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Broken Sword 1 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I recall having finished both one of the Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island episodes without any help.

But there are proberly others - Im sure there are others - There has to be others!!

Truth is im not a patient man, if im stuck for more that 15 min. I search for a walkthrough.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top