• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Outdated reviews

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I usually play games 1-2 years after they come out. It sometimes happens that an AG review reports issues that seem to have fixed since they were reviewed.
For example, the review for The Sea Will Claim Everything says a major problem is that alchemical ingredients aren’t labeled, but when I played the game they were. In Ghost Pirates of Voojoo Island, it’s mentioned you can’t skip dialogue (and you seem to be able to, though not 100% of the time) and that the charades puzzle lacks feedback (which it doesn’t now, the pirate nods or shakes his hand after each movement).
I also remember some debate around quick travel or the lack of it in Dropsy.

I’m wondering if there’s any way to handle this. It seems unreasonable to expect reviewers to re-visit games every so often. Can / do developers contact AG to tell them features have been added or fixed? Should we, the readers, contact you when we encounter examples of this? Am I the only one who cares about reviews when the game isn’t sizzling hot and so this is a non-issue?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Not just for reviews, people should always tell us about things they notice that are either outdated or apparently overlooked. The more the community contributes, the better the site will be.

Developers rarely inform us of patches and updates after the fact. If we do learn of significant changes, we’ll (probably) append the review accordingly, but more often than not such changes will simply slip through the cracks. It’s simply not feasible for us (as a staff) to actively follow games post-release.

The best solution is for developers to do more playtesting before launch so patches aren’t needed. Tongue

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I think some of these examples aren’t strictly bugs, just features that are more annoying than the developer intended, and I’m not sure testing can catch that.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I said playtesting, not beta testing. That’s exactly what playtesting is for: to get a proper feel for the actual user experience and refine what needs improvement. So many developers skimp on this process (or give the games only to those people inclined to offer praise instead of criticism).

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Jackal - 09 June 2016 09:22 PM

Not just for reviews, people should always tell us about things they notice that are either outdated or apparently overlooked.

The Aggie Awards 2015 does not appear in the Articles - Essentials section and it`s a little hard to find.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yep, thanks. That one’s already on the to-do list.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top