• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiegoskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #63 – There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There must’ve been more references to adventure games in the 2nd Chapter. For example, I’m pretty sure the first screen (Sherlock’s flat) was one big reference to Day of the Tentacle, including the sound of pendulum clock and a small picture of time warp on the wall. Also the crudely painted moon felt like it was taken directly from some noir adventure, Discworld Noir maybe? (haven’t played it)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude - 07 December 2020 08:31 PM

Mr. Glitch remarks that there is no princess in this castle, which is a reference to the Super Mario Bros games, where Mario is told after every level :” Thank You Mario, But Our Princess is in Another Castle”. This phrase is so popular in gaming culture, it became a meme https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/but-our-princess-is-in-another-castle .

LOL! Never heard of this meme but it explains a lot. When I search for stuff on twitch I sometimes get the message that what I’m looking for might be in another castle. Huh, what castle?? What’s that supposed to mean? Thanks for clearing this up.  Thumbs Up

Game also refers to Rusty Lake, the excellent adventure game series on Steam. I believe there are three games in the series. I only played the first one and really loved it and highly recommend playing it. Still need to play the other two. All three games are on Steam and are very cheap.

I’m one of Rusty Lake’s most ardent fans. Smile And posted about their games several times.  They even made a great 18-minute film as part of Cube Escape Paradox. See here: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/13655/
Those two guys created 15 games, which are all connected. Nine of them were free flash games, now adapted for Steam and mobile phones. If you enjoy their fantasy world I’d advise you to buy the collection of the 9 games for only 5 dollars. Storywise it’s best to start with the first game in the Cube Escape series and play them in chronological order:

Seasons, The Lake, Arles, Harvey’s Box, Case 23, The Mill, Rusty Lake Hotel, Birthday, Theatre, Rusty Lake Roots, The Cave, Rusty Lake Paradise, Paradox, Paradox - A Rusty Lake Film, The White Door, Samsara Room.
BTW, what was the reference to Rusty Lake? I missed it. Frown

TimovieMan - 08 December 2020 02:59 PM

Other references:

In chapter 2: the scream that’s heard whenever you click the corpse (you also hear it on the TV at the end of the game) is a stock sound effect that’s been used in a LOT of films ever since the ‘50s. It’s known as the “Wilhelm Scream”. To drive the reference home: the man in chapter 2 is actually called Wilhelm in the game… Grin

Ah, that’s great to know! I was sure the name Wilhelm couldn’t be a coincidence and I thought it might be a character in a Sherlock Holmes novel, but couldn’t find anything of course.

Doom - 10 December 2020 01:06 AM

There must’ve been more references to adventure games in the 2nd Chapter. For example, I’m pretty sure the first screen (Sherlock’s flat) was one big reference to Day of the Tentacle, including the sound of pendulum clock and a small picture of time warp on the wall.

Yes, I’m sure too.

Also the crudely painted moon felt like it was taken directly from some noir adventure, Discworld Noir maybe? (haven’t played it)

Certainly not from Discworld Noir. But do yourself a favor and play that great game.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 10 December 2020 08:32 PM

Certainly not from Discworld Noir. But do yourself a favor and play that great game.

I wish I could, but it won’t run on modern systems, and Scummvm/GOG are not interested for some reason.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

This thread might help.
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10007/

We also had a Discworld Noir CP with tips to run the game, but the link in the CP list gets me the 400blah error message and I don’t think win10 had been released yet.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 11 December 2020 04:21 PM

We also had a Discworld Noir CP with tips to run the game, but the link in the CP list gets me the 400blah error message and I don’t think win10 had been released yet.

Link works fine for me…??? Anyone else have issues with the link?

I had to play this game with Windows 98 running on a virtual machine. It’s definitely not the easiest game to get to work…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 11 December 2020 07:08 PM

Link works fine for me…??? Anyone else have issues with the link?

None of the links to CPs on that particular page work for me. The previous page is fine and the Casual CPs are fine too.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 11 December 2020 08:10 PM

None of the links to CPs on that particular page work for me. The previous page is fine and the Casual CPs are fine too.

The links in that post all link to the archived forums. The other CPTs and the Casual CPTs all link to these forums, so the issue must lie there. Can you access the archived forums at all?
If not, best shoot a message to Ivo so he can look in to why it’s not working on your end…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It works fine in the Internet Explorer, but shows the 404 error in Firefox for some reason.

This thread might help.
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10007/

I tried running it using those tips from the “step-by-step guide” and adventuregamer’s CPT years ago, but to no luck. I’ve been patiently waiting for a re-release since, but it seems like nobody cares about Discworld games, which is weird and insulting - it’s Terry Pratchett after all.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 11 December 2020 08:24 PM

The links in that post all link to the archived forums. The other CPTs and the Casual CPTs all link to these forums, so the issue must lie there.

Aha, it’s the archived forums again, I should have realized. I know what to do about that because Ivo told me some time ago: go incognito. Smile

@Doom: I get error 400, not 404.
And don’t give up on Discworld Noir. I’m sure there must be a way to get it working.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m still working on the game. Not much progress. RL still gets in the way. Will finish and post progress to thread. But don’t hold things up on my account. I’m sure someone’s chomping at the bit for a new playthrough vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, RL can be a bitch. I hope you will still post your thoughts when you’ve finished the game, but it’s probably best to unhook the thread.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

This was really great. I played through it in one go and really enjoyed it. Would have been impossible to stop in the middle. I then replayed it a few days later with my girlfriend who also loved it even though she didn’t get as many of the the references.

It’s such a breath of fresh air and just works really well. If there’s a few nitpick, it’s that most of the scenes involving mr glitch tend to have some arcade elements where you have to grab mr glitch to avoid him hitting the command line.
It works well story wise but it’s sometimes not fun.

Overall, my favorite chapter was chapter 5, changing the credits was so imaginative. Chapter 4 had me laughing a lot but it was a bit intentionally repetitive, I’d say that was my least favorite chapter.

Neither of us had problems following the story and I don’t feel that Gigi was introduced too late, instead I thought the pacing was rather well done with mentions of Gigi in passing at first and then her actual introduction in Chapter 5.

Thanks for the playthrough Karlok, I’m not sure I’d have played it otherwise and I think this was the best game of the year for me Smile

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have just started playing this on my iPad. I am having as much fun as all of you did in the first 2 Chapters. the 3rd so far has a few timed bits that are challenging for me, but I love the game (not a game!) so much that they are only minor annoyances so far.
Updated a few days later:
I finished the game, and experienced both endings. The first, second, and second part of the third chapter were the highlights for me. Many ‘aha’ moments and chuckles watching the ads.
All in all it was one of the most memorable and unique games I’ve played. Despite the few reflex based puzzles , I will give this one a thumbs up, mostly because I know most players won’t have as difficult a time with those challenges as I did. I also enjoyed a rather detailed story for a puzzle game, something that you don’t see very often.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top