• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Game of Thrones & series worthy of comparison.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Just interested - is there anyone reading that would like to throw away seasons 1 - 7 to never watch again, as I would, on account of the boring, extremely unimaginative & very disappointing Season 8?  Thumbs Up  Naughty

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Since I have still to watch the entire series, you can donate seasons 1-7 to me. Grin

Season 8 can’t possibly be worse than the 8th and final season of Dexter. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 13 August 2019 03:08 PM

Since I have still to watch the entire series, you can donate seasons 1-7 to me. Grin

Season 8 can’t possibly be worse than the 8th and final season of Dexter. Tongue

I’m still reeling back but not sure I can part with GoT just yet!

I’ve watched a lot of series so how have I missed Dexter but I have - does the final season make all of the seasons before a waste of time?

Another series I thought that blew it at the last minute was Lost.  Cry

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 13 August 2019 03:45 PM

I’ve watched a lot of series so how have I missed Dexter but I have - does the final season make all of the seasons before a waste of time?

Dexter is 4 seasons of brilliance, a slightly lesser (but still great) 5th season, a great first half of a 6th season with a weak second half, a part-great part-bad 7th season, and one clusterfuck of an awful 8th season that has pretty much the worst final episode of any series I’ve seen. The last 15 minutes nearly manage to destroy everything that came before.

Which is ironic, since Michael C. Hall’s series before Dexter, Six Feet Under, may have the BEST ending to any series ever…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Sorry for all the spoiler tags, but I discuss specific plot points and don’t want anyone wandering into something they don’t want to know about. Wink

To your question, chrissie: no, I enjoyed the show immensely, and plan to watch it again in a few years, just as I do with LOST.

Having come late to the GoT party, watching it through over the summer, I think I am fine with how it ended because I wasn’t invested in it for years, and hadn’t built up much, if any, expectation. In fact, I was actually pleased with the finale when I first watched it, simply because it was as happy an ending as one could be expected to see in GoT, and my main theory going into the final season was that the “game” of thrones would simply continue on, with some combination of the Starks, Lannisters, and Targaryens becoming new rival factions.

In short, an ending that isn’t much of an ending, IMO. That would have disappointed me in ways that I don’t like, and can’t wave away as I tend to be able to do with plot holes.

I wouldn’t have particularly minded a dark ending for GoT, in which Daenerys becomes a Westerosi version of Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader, as that would have set up for a possible sequel and been more in the spirit of the earlier seasons. However, it became clear that season 8 was all about fanservice and wish fulfillment, and given that, I think what I got out of it was fine. More and more issues don’t set well with me as I think about them, but on the whole I don’t mind season 8, because the seasons prior to it were such a triumph of good television.

I also find it satisfying that Daenerys was able to do what she set out to do, which was to 1) break the wheel that had ground across Westeros for generations and 2) finally end the “game” of thrones. In fact, she was central to bringing about a new vision for Westeros, as without the horror of her descent into tyranny and the final destruction of the Iron Throne, the other lords wouldn’t have been willing to come together and find a better way forward.

So, yes, I have problems with season 8—and GoT in general, especially what I consider to be rather lackluster battles, all things considered. Though HBO’s budget for the show was huge, the limitations of even an inflated cash outlay were quite clear there, IMO—but it doesn’t make me want to chuck the previous seasons out the window. Warts and all, I loved Game of Thrones. Money Mouth

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

One could argue that the GOT TV show declined in quality at the start of season 6, when the tv show writers ran out of source material and had to rely on their skills(or lack there of) to write the rest of the script.

I think it severely tainted the whole show, and I can no longer consider it as one of the greats. There have been a lot of memes making fun of the decline in quality, but my favorite has to be:

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

SoccerDude - 24 August 2019 09:34 PM

One could argue that the GOT TV show declined in quality at the start of season 6, when the tv show writers ran out of source material and had to rely on their skills(or lack there of) to write the rest of the script.

I think it severely tainted the whole show, and I can no longer consider it as one of the greats. There have been a lot of memes making fun of the decline in quality, but my favorite has to be:

Yes, I liked the meme very much but would prefer more constructive criticism. 

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The longer a series runs, the harder it gets to get a meaningful conclusion. Most of the series that have great endings never went beyond 5 seasons…

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 28 August 2019 04:04 PM
SoccerDude - 24 August 2019 09:34 PM

Yes, I liked the meme very much but would prefer more constructive criticism. 

One thing that stood out in GOT and made so many people fascinated by it was the fact that it did not try to cheat with its story. You do a stupid thing, you will die, just like in real life. It doesn’t matter who you are (hero or villain). Starting season 6, when the writers veered away from the script, it became like any other hollywood production - the main characters do all kinds of stupid actions but they are protected by plot armor. It felt like star trek, with everyone but the main cast wearing red shirts. For example in the battle of the bastards, john snow was sorrounded by an insurmountable number of soldiers, and yet he survived. There are many other instances like this. You see a lot of last second saves that should have resulted in deaths.

Also the show veered away from what made it great, the little exchanges and mind games of its characters. The problem with going the all action route, is that you miss out on character development, and things that certain characters do, no longer make sense. No where is this more evident than when danny turned so abruptly from a freer of chains and a likeable hero to the mad queen, as if by the flick of a switch.

That might be ok for some folks, but for others like myself it took away from everything that made the show special.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 28 August 2019 05:16 PM

The longer a series runs, the harder it gets to get a meaningful conclusion. Most of the series that have great endings never went beyond 5 seasons…

In this case, it is mainly due to the fact that the show had to improvise starting season 6, because George RR Martin’s books 6 and 7 were not completed. The producers couldn’t have waited for him to finish the series, especially at the slow rate he writes in, so they had to write the scripts themselves, and they are just not as talented as him.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

My thought here is that a meaningful conclusion in any series is dependent on the integrity of the writers but more so on the producers i.e. how much do you want to shaft genuine fans to keep a franchise going?
Westworld had one great season & f****d it up with the 2nd which led to the cancellation of the planned 3rd because genuine fans aren’t going to put up with the shallow action orientated fest that happened.
Downton Abbey worked because it didn’t try to be clever.
I can’t think of too many series that went beyond series 5 but I never saw Dexter as needing a definitive ending as it started off with a situation rather than a story that really didn’t in my mind need a conclusion as such. So it could have just stopped leaving Dexter where you first found him.

SoccerDude - 28 August 2019 10:25 PM

In this case, it is mainly due to the fact that the show had to improvise starting season 6, because George RR Martin’s books 6 and 7 were not completed. The producers couldn’t have waited for him to finish the series, especially at the slow rate he writes in, so they had to write the scripts themselves, and they are just not as talented as him.

Apparently George RR Martin was a consultant?

SoccerDude - 28 August 2019 10:19 PM

Also the show veered away from what made it great, the little exchanges and mind games of its characters. The problem with going the all action route, is that you miss out on character development, and things that certain characters do, no longer make sense. No where is this more evident than when danny turned so abruptly from a freer of chains and a likeable hero to the mad queen, as if by the flick of a switch.
That might be ok for some folks, but for others like myself it took away from everything that made the show special.

I agree with so much of what you say. The last season was all action & very spectacular but very light on plot.
Personally I don’t mind that Danny became the mad queen but the show-runners obviously abandoned the in-betweeny thought-process needed to make that plausible by cutting the episodes in favour of devoting their time to new projects. It made sense to me - she already had a problem when she learnt that Jon was her nephew & the rightful heir to the iron throne. Also she was lauded as the freer of chains but no-one in Westeros were in chains so I think that the big anti-climax of finally getting to Dani’s goal + not being ‘worshipped’ + no-one wanted or even liked her in Westeros could leave her emotionally lacking. Also, she was the mad kings’ daughter.
It doesn’t really matter that the books were never finished because in my awful suspicious brain I believe that George needs to sell his books when he gets around to writing the concluding parts - the ending of the series was ***** & he already knows that.   

Galvanic_Spiral - 16 August 2019 06:57 PM

Having come late to the GoT party, watching it through over the summer, I think I am fine with how it ended because I wasn’t invested in it for years, and hadn’t built up much, if any, expectation. In fact, I was actually pleased with the finale when I first watched it, simply because it was as happy an ending as one could be expected to see in GoT, and my main theory going into the final season was that the “game” of thrones would simply continue on, with some combination of the Starks, Lannisters, and Targaryens becoming new rival factions.

Thank you for your interesting thoughts Galvanic_Spiral.

There really is no excuse for the poor unimaginative ending of GoT - there is so much source material within the story up until then to play with. 

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Whatever the thoughts on GoT’s ending it’s got to have been the most successful series of all time globally unless anyone else knows otherwise?

It does seem that there’s numerous producers striving to attain the same success & the latest contender is Carnival Row.
I’ve given 4 episodes a chance - great acting, locations & effects (except the dormant floppy fairy wings don’t work for me but great when they’re active). I got bored as the story progresses slowly but actually I mind that far less than the terrible mishmash of ideas that don’t overly gel for me - sorry!  Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top