You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Scary Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Scary Adventure Games

I'm kinda sick of the whole "hmmm....this is a very interesting mystery" type adventure games. I wanna be scured!! Anyway, are they any good scary adventure games out there? And I don't mean oooh this is creepy scary I mean the oh god i'm going to crap my pants scary. Any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

hmmmm....scary adventure games.......

i realy cant think of any that will make you jump out of your seat but the 11th hour always gave me that creepy feeling, as well as phantasmagoria.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Hoopy frood

Sanitarium had a few jumpy parts, if I recall. Though I suppose it was moreso of the creepy variety. However, you can't beat the $10 bargain price if you haven't played it...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Epinionated.

Darkfall.

The original, not the sequel.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Darkfall.
Definitively. And "Shadow of the comet". And, in many parts of the game, "D", and more action-based, "Alone in the dark" and "realms of the haunting".
Old 02-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
hmmmm....scary adventure games.......

i realy cant think of any that will make you jump out of your seat but the 11th hour always gave me that creepy feeling, as well as phantasmagoria.
Shit, I forgot those... but I prefer the other two games: 7th Guest and the weird Phantasmagoria 2

And maybe Shivers and Harvest of Souls. Only maybe.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Darkfall.

The original, not the sequel.
Darkfall 2 is pretty scary - not as scary as the first one but it does have its moments.
...footsteps that you can hear but nobody's there, voices in the distance calling to you......

playing this game on Xmas eve after watching ghost stories on tv really wound me up

I also found certain parts of "Faust-7 Games of the Soul" reasonably spooky.

Other than that I really can't think of any really scary adventures unless you want to branch out to the "much maligned" survival horror genre!
You might want to consider the first 2 SH games, Project Zero (Fatal Frame in the USA) or even Forbidden Siren.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

i got an other one....

put put goes to the zoo!!!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #9

The Area 51 section of "Pandora Directive" always scares the crap outta me. The creepy air-raid siren going off in the background... Then once you get inside Area 51, the fact that you know an alien entity is stalking you, yet you can't see it.

Man, whenever Tex just stops and says "The hair on the back of my neck just stood on end." makes MY neck hair stand up!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I'm kinda sick of the whole "hmmm....this is a very interesting mystery" type adventure games. I wanna be scured!! Anyway, are they any good scary adventure games out there? And I don't mean oooh this is creepy scary I mean the oh god i'm going to crap my pants scary. Any suggestions?
Phantasmagoria scared the shit out of me.

Firefox rules
Old 02-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
Banned User

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions.

"unless you want to branch out to the "much maligned" survival horror genre"

I'm an old friend of the survival horror genere.

As to everyone else, i've already played Phantasmagoria, D, Silent Hill 1 and 2 and shivers, but i'll def. check out dark watch, the 7th guest and the 11th hour.

This just in, just bought 7th guest and 11th hour for under $10!

Last edited by SakSquash; 02-01-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
As to everyone else, i've already played Phantasmagoria, D, Silent Hill 1 and 2 and shivers, but i'll def. check out dark watch, the 7th guest and the 11th hour.
I'd forgotten about "The 7th Guest" and "The 11th Hour" - they're both quite scary games, but the Phantasmagoria games didn't have that spooky feeling for me.
All good games though.

Clive Barker's Undying was imo a very scary game - I know it's not really an adventure game but I thought it was worth a mention anyway
Old 02-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I'd forgotten about "The 7th Guest" and "The 11th Hour" - they're both quite scary games, but the Phantasmagoria games didn't have that spooky feeling for me.
All good games though.

Clive Barker's Undying was imo a very scary game - I know it's not really an adventure game but I thought it was worth a mention anyway
Ha, it's actually kinda funny that you mention clive baker. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore gamer, but Undying is the ONLY game I couldn't finish because it was TOO scary! Go 'head, laugh.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
merely human

temporaryscars, you might wanna check out this thread:

The games of the dead: AG's unofficial Halloween list!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Ha, it's actually kinda funny that you mention clive baker. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore gamer, but Undying is the ONLY game I couldn't finish because it was TOO scary! Go 'head, laugh.
There's no way I would laugh at you - that game had me so spooked right from the beginning.
You really didn't know what to expect next - you'd be walking along the corridors and hear sounds in the distance; then you would look in a mirror and nearly crap your pants after seeing a terrifying cutscene

I never finished the game either!!

Ooh! I've just remembered another one - the first Blair Witch game!!!!
I bought this game as soon as it came out, in spite of all the bad reviews it received and I was more than satisfied!!!
I really couldn't understand why it got such a bashing - I suppose the gameplay could have been improved but it was way better than the next 2 games.

There were moments when playing this game that I couldn't actually look at the monitor because I was so scared - visiting Rustin Parr's house, going to the spooky locations in the village :eek: :eek:
And the worst one for me has to be when you go into the cafe and there's this guy sitting at the counter who's going on about the coffee (I suppose you have to be a Twin Peaks fan to appreciate it), but when the zombies attacked me I nearly jumpd ouit of my seat!!!!!

One of the scariest games of all time as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Manhunter71; 02-01-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #16
Homer of Kittens

Resident Evil 4 is not an adventure but I heard it is one of the scariest games ever.

Firefox rules
Old 02-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
guybrush_guy

i bought it today and it's up their on the scary level.......

realms of the haunting is pretty scary even Theo some people say it's not realy an adventure game.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #18

Quote:
I dunno about Dark Watch , but I'll second SquareJawHero, Dark Fall is the scariest game I've played. (Phantasmagoria could come a close second if it wasn't that gory from times to times... takes out the thrill for me.)
It's a first person game, with an inventory, but still not exaclty an inventory game, nor exactly a puzzle game, more like something in between. It's not pretty, it's quite short and not very hard, but man the atmosphere is good. I've played it with a friend, and even the two of us together in front of the screen could not help but jump each time a wail was heard in an empty room, or each time a shadow crossed the floor.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #19
SamNMax

You gotta be kidding me. Phantasmagoria? 11th Hour?

There's really never been a scary adventure game that has ever been made.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
You gotta be kidding me. Phantasmagoria? 11th Hour?

There's really never been a scary adventure game that has ever been made.
Did you play Dark Fall?
(and anyway, I know I would have flipped out playing phantasmagoria at 13; you're one tough kid :eek: )