You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: What format do you want The Moment of Silence to be on?
4 CD Edition 4 9.30%
1 DVD Edition 39 90.70%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
DJ Monkey Boy

Default TMOS - CD or DVD?

The Moment of Silence is coming so very soon. Only a month to the games UK release.

We want to hear from the adventure game fans about what format you want the game to appear on.

Do you want 4 CDs or 1 DVD?

Tell us. Vote and tell us why.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
23 Railway Cuttings

I voted DVD, but I would actually like to see developers including both formats in the one box (with bulk CD pressing, I doubt that would cost much extra ?) or else create 2 separate versions. It seems unfair that potential players should be discriminated against for not having a DVD drive.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #3

I think it's a bit surprising that more games aren't released on DVD. The storage space is so much greater, but I guess a majority of people still just have CD drives on their machines.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #4

DVD. I have a DVD player, so obviously, I'd rather not have to swap CDs, or have to install 3 CD on my Hard Drive, when I can just install and play with 1 DVD.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I prefer DVD format to having multiple CDs. Like was mentioned before, there is less CD swapping, and takes up less room on the shelf. Having 4 cds would mean taking up two slots on my CD rack which is already overflowing with stuff.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
guybrush_guy

definatly dvd, it's a much neater cd standard. one dvd is always much better then 4 cds..

Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

What the... ? A publisher actually listening to gamers? What's next, good customer support?

Go Digital Jesters! Woo!!

I voted DVD*, but only recently did I finally put a DVD drive in. The Europeans seem to be way ahead of North America in making DVD drives standard PC equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see voting trend along those lines. Since DJ is Europe themselves, might help to know where the CD voters are from.

*Assuming, of course, that you can avoid the technical pitfalls of a lot of other DVD games - Myst 4 being the most recent.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:25 AM   #8

DVD of course. The only reason why anyone would vote for the CD edition is because they do nat have a DVD drive. Who knows, the game comes out as DVD only and is smashingly good then the few without a DVD drive will finally get one.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
I prefer DVD format to having multiple CDs. Like was mentioned before, there is less CD swapping, and takes up less room on the shelf. Having 4 cds would mean taking up two slots on my CD rack which is already overflowing with stuff.
Yes, and that's not all. The main point is that the german DVD-version contains 3.4 GB while 4 CDs equal approx. 2.8 GB. So they would have to increase video and audio compression to make the game fit on 4 CDs.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLe
Yes, and that's not all. The main point is that the german DVD-version contains 3.4 GB while 4 CDs equal approx. 2.8 GB. So they would have to increase video and audio compression to make the game fit on 4 CDs.
Bold is mine, think U meant decrease, but anyway that'd suck, another good argument for a DVD version! It could be pressed on 800mb+ CDs (870mb, 900 etc.) but that would make it more expensive, plus these CD's are not 100% compatible with all drives. Personally I think everyone should have a DVD drive by now, and this game would be a good reason to get one (they go for less than 30€!). I really don't see why we should still be disc-swapping.

edit: oops t'was late

Last edited by jjacob; 10-06-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Bold is mine, think U meant decrease, but anyway that'd suck, another good argument for a DVD version!
increased compression rate = decreased quality = smaller filesize
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The Europeans seem to be way ahead of North America in making DVD drives standard PC equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see voting trend along those lines.
So true. With the exception of those who build their own PCs, there will be pretty much nobody in Europe with a powerful enough computer to run TMOS but without a DVD drive. DVD is my vote, and will ALWAYS get my vote over CD.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #13
Banned User

Just as a point of interest, Conspiracies and Tex Murphy: Overseer were both released in the USA with both CD and DVD versions packaged together.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

DVD all the way, man! 8-)
I wonder why most of the games are still being made in CD format when everbody complains that they should be DVD... Right?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #15
Headbanger

The only reason I can think of that anybody wants to vote for CDs is that they don't own a DVD-player. Since they have been standard for a long time it means that buying a new computer for those people might not be a bad idea.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Just as a point of interest, Conspiracies and Tex Murphy: Overseer were both released in the USA with both CD and DVD versions packaged together.
Conversely, I'm pretty sure that the UK didn't get this deal. I don't know - we have the more up-to-date technology, and we don't get deals that are nearly as good.

I'd love to be corrected on this, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Conversely, I'm pretty sure that the UK didn't get this deal.
I definitely only have a CD version.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #18
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

I voted for DVD, i mean come on, today a DVD unit doesn't cost more than an average computer game.
I own DVD drive like 3 years already, what are you all waiting for?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #19

How about a DVD-only version for shops, but also selling a CD-version in the DJ Shop? That way everyone get what they want. Since you've got free shipping worldwide, you'd probably get some extra US sales by having a CD-version available.

I personally voted for DVD, though.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:14 AM   #20

Yo, Trav

I voted DVD!1

Do I count?

Greetings to the gang.