You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Westerner renamed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 09:02 PM   #1

Default The Westerner renamed

Link to JA thread

I suppose I should be glad it has a publisher in the US. But why in *&^@! does Dreamcatcher feel they have to rename almost every game they publish? And what kind of a stupid name for a game is "Wanted."
Old 08-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Maybe they're somehow trying to make it look good on the shelf next to "Missing"?

Old 08-29-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Damn this annoys me, what is up with the generic one-word names these days? I see them more in movies, but sadly of late they seem to be creeping into the gaming industry, too.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
More slaw!!!

Wanted sounds more action packed! Guns blazing! Running from the law! Shooting bad guys! You're... WANTED!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #5

Lets face it, "Wanted" is much more attractive and catchy to the youth the "The Westerner".
Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Maybe they're somehow trying to make it look good on the shelf next to "Missing"?

OMG! That is damn sexy I am going to BestBuy right now to get both titles!*

* Anyone who missed the sarcastic humour in this needs to be slapped on the back of their head.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-29-2004, 09:38 PM   #7
guybrush_guy

i still don't think that the box art for "missing" did the game justice...i didn't find it appealing at all

Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
How am I not myself?

Its not so much that 'Wanted' is a bad name it's just that we've come to know and recognise the name 'The Westerner'. Now that its called 'Wanted' you will have to associate mental images with the new name... sorry I'm raving again. So anyway, I'm sure if the name was always 'Wanted' and they changed it to 'The Westerner' you would feel the same way.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #9
Under pressure.

It seems that TAC doesn't think very high of it's American audience. I mean, what are they thinking? Can't Americans remember words with more than two syllables?

Oh well, at least it's being published...

--Erwin
Old 08-29-2004, 10:42 PM   #10
Retirement is stupid

This is all sort of sadly amusing to me...at E3 the Revistronic rep gave me a poster with a big logo that said "Fenimore Fillmore: Wanted". He didn't speak the greatest English, but I thought he made it clear that this was some advance promo art for the inevitable sequel to The Westerner. I never realized that the decision had already been made to change the name at that point.

TAC's explanation for "Missing" was passable..."In Memoriam" implies death and that's not really what happened here, etc. But changing "The Westerner"? To "Wanted"? It's totally beyond me.

Not that thrilled about "BeTrapped" either, but that's another story...

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 08-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
This is all sort of sadly amusing to me...at E3 the Revistronic rep gave me a poster with a big logo that said "Fenimore Fillmore: Wanted". He didn't speak the greatest English, but I thought he made it clear that this was some advance promo art for the inevitable sequel to The Westerner. I never realized that the decision had already been made to change the name at that point.
Goddamn it I posted this news about months ago, it IS the sequel to The Westerner whic is currently in production, I don't know why people just ignore our news and then post them on a forum by making them sound as an exclusive. (and I'm talking here about justadventure, not these forums.) News about the game being published in North America in september were also already published, but hey what do you know, justadventure has already said it...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
TAC's explanation for "Missing" was passable..."In Memoriam" implies death and that's not really what happened here, etc. But changing "The Westerner"? To "Wanted"? It's totally beyond me.
I think Missing would have been a pretty decent name (just as good as In Memoriam, really), if they hadn't added "Since January". Maybe it looks nice on the box, but in reviews et.c. it just seems stupid.

Wanted is far too generic for my tastes. The Westerner isn't a particular good name either (IMO), but Wanted is just... too plain. Maybe they should add "Since January"?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #13
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I think Missing would have been a pretty decent name (just as good as In Memoriam, really), if they hadn't added "Since January". Maybe it looks nice on the box, but in reviews et.c. it just seems stupid.

Wanted is far too generic for my tastes. The Westerner isn't a particular good name either (IMO), but Wanted is just... too plain. Maybe they should add "Since January"?
Oh, come on, do I have an ignore or something in these forums or is it that no one here likes me?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmer
Oh, come on, do I have an ignore or something in these forums or is it that no one here likes me?
Some people prefer writing to reading
Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Well, I don't think Wanted is a good name no matter if it's Revisitronic or TAC that created it
Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #16
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
Well, I don't think Wanted is a good name no matter if it's Revisitronic or TAC that created it
Again, Nomad, I think you are completely right...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Again, Nomad, I think you are completely right...
I don't know what you mean. So there's not going to be a game called Wanted? I thought you just said the sequel was going to be called Wanted. Okay, if I've misunderstood you I'm very sorry, especially since you seem offended.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 AM   #18
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. So there's not going to be a game called Wanted? I thought you just said the sequel was going to be called Wanted. Okay, if I've misunderstood you I'm very sorry, especially since you seem offended.
I also didn't mean to offend you. It's just that I've spoken with Revistronic's CEO himself (in spanish, so no way of confussion here), and he told me Wanted! would be the name of the sequel, and that The Westerner would be published on september by TAC. But I was just pissed because from the beggining many people have been taking my word on doubt, and it's very annoying to find this now...
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 AM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

Recent garbage budget title that's still on store shelves (untouched). Need I say more?

Kelmer, if it makes you feel any better, most people like their news to be confirmed by a second source. Don't take it personally. (And a lot of people probably missed the news on your site).
Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 AM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Me personally I don't really care if it is called the Westerner or Wanted or whatever. As long as the game is good, they can call it whatever they want.

Firefox rules