You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Westerner renamed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #41
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
I was actually replying to someone who asked (and I quote) Saying

I did not point this reply directly at you, so I don't get why you're telling me why the name change doesn't matter to you. I wasn't discussing that. I don't mean to sound rude, but I just can't see the continuation here...

The main point is that I would think a name has a lot to say when it comes to marketing and sales (regardless of wether you'd buy it or not).
Sorry, I wanted to say something about your statement, but my evil twisted mind got carried away. This was in no way an attack on you nordic. I have edited my post. Sorry again.

the continuation: it does matter a lot, but I believe it's a bit more than that. It's just like you go out to rent a video. I believe you'll look at the story, actors, diractor and title. Not just the title. And, renting a video costs much, much less...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 AM   #42
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
It's not about people making mistakes while buying. It's about never realizing that "Wanted" was "The Westerner", and overlooking it completely.

Good name or bad, the whole point of freakin' marketing is to establish name or brand recognition. The Westerner has been a name that's been floating around for quite a while now, and at least in the tiny adventure community, is now familiar to one degree or another. But TAC would prefer to scrap all that existing recognition at the last minute, and start all over with a name that is completely meaningless to everybody.

The TAC think tank must be awfully empty.
They are obviously targeting some other gaming coummunity, and not advgamers. After all, I believe we all know adventures don't sale and don't make as much money as action games. So maybe they really wanted to make it look like an action game? It is 3D after all...

by_100ja
Old 09-01-2004, 07:36 AM   #43
Hopeful skeptic

I think you're exactly right. I almost said that in my last post, but figured the strategy was so painfully ridiculous that it didn't deserve mentioning.

I can see the ads now:

Wanted... The new action-packed, gun-slinging, wild west adventure in rockin' 3D. Yes, this is the only game that looks exactly like Toy Story, having carrots with hit points! Order yours today!!

Sigh... Give TAC a six-shooter, and they'll shoot themselves in the foot with it.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #44
pain is love

It just occurred to me, isn't it strange that some of the new 3D adventures to come market themselves as action-adventures? Then again, guess it really ain't that strange...

by_100ja
Old 09-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #45
Great Teacher Ranma

IGN has stated that the game "The Westerner" has been renamed to "Wanted".

http://pc.ign.com/articles/543/543869p1.html
Old 09-05-2004, 02:18 PM   #46
Dungeon Master

Quote:
So basically, they will release Wanted in the US, and then Wanted 2? And in Europe we'll get The Westerner and Wanted?
I'm confused...
No, you got it all wrong. The Westerner is Wanted. The sequel (Wanted in Europe) will be renamed to The Westerner, as not to introduce too many different titles. Also, TAC is planning to release it with a free copy of 3 skulls of the Toltecs (because the series will be well-known by then), but the American version will be called In Memoriam (because it's shorter than 3 skulls... and doesn't have such a direct reference to death).
Old 09-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #47
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
No, you got it all wrong. The Westerner is Wanted. The sequel (Wanted in Europe) will be renamed to The Westerner, as not to introduce too many different titles. Also, TAC is planning to release it with a free copy of 3 skulls of the Toltecs (because the series will be well-known by then), but the American version will be called In Memoriam (because it's shorter than 3 skulls... and doesn't have such a direct reference to death).
yeah, that's it!

by_100ja
Old 09-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #48
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I was actually replying to someone who asked (and I quote) Saying

I did not point this reply directly at you, so I don't get why you're telling me why the name change doesn't matter to you. I wasn't discussing that. I don't mean to sound rude, but I just can't see the continuation here...

The main point is that I would think a name has a lot to say when it comes to marketing and sales (regardless of wether you'd buy it or not).
Well I'm guessing that their reasoning may be that adventure gamers in the US will most probably have heard about this game anyway. The non-adventure type of gamers will be lured more to an action-like title than a neutral title. So come to think of it, it is kinda like a marketting pitch to the US and they are guessing that they will sell more with "Wanted" as the name.

Firefox rules