You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #161
SamNMax

Quote:
Strange, that was maybe the only puzzle that I was able to beat in MK4
Mortal Kombat 4?

Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #162
hello

Kings Quest 5 had a few ridiculous puzzles...

Throwing the boot at the cat, to save the mouse... The whole game is ruined if you dont work out the puzzle in 2 seconds...

Also using the honey on the path in the witches forest.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #163

The Neverhood: read and UNDERSTAND the story written on the walls
Old 06-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #164
Adventure Game Veteran

Default Bs2

why has no one said the wheels puzzle in Broken Sword 2 that puzzle was so frustrating i needed a walkthrough with pictures, the most illogical puzzle is anything from Discworld 1
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #165
Lurking Myst Missionary

the stupid gorram beastie trap in The Dig. AUGH!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #166

I have to say that the Cookies puzzle in Still Life is very annoying. No hints at all, doesn't fellow a "normal" recipe (don't mix dry stuff with wet ones). This puzzle have more than thousands of possibilities.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss
Working out the day, race and track no. in Grim Fandango to make the bet to get the picture
Yeah I hated that one.

Also, the final puzzle in Moment of Silence! I flat out couldn't do it, even with hints, I had to look up the exact solution to get past it. This was after getting through the rest of the game with few trip-ups.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #168
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Yeah I hated that one.
I liked it. Or: Figuring out the clues for it gave me a feeling of achievement I've never encountered in any adventure game thereafter. Then again, that was like 7 years ago.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-15-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #169
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fook_yu
I have to say that the Cookies puzzle in Still Life is very annoying. No hints at all, doesn't fellow a "normal" recipe (don't mix dry stuff with wet ones). This puzzle have more than thousands of possibilities.
Oh yeah, I hated it, that was pure concentrated frustration.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #170
Gold Elite

It definatley has to be the lock-picking puzzle in Still-Life. I almost had tears in my eyes!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #171

I just got passed the Post Mortem portrait puzzle (with some walkthrough help of course), where Gus had to draw the portrait of a suspect murderer using descriptions of various witnesses.

Even now I believe my portrait makes more sense than the one given in the walkthrough. I also had my brother do the puzzle and he drew exact same portrait as I did, except for the suspect's eyes.

It seems that the puzzle was meant to be solved with some trial and error, which wouldn't be that bad, if Gus didn't have to go through the same conversation (15-20 seconds long) with Malet before every try. So after 4 days of banging my head on the wall, I gave up
Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 AM   #172
Pure AGer

No doubt..........Schizm (which puzzle do we start with?)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss
It definatley has to be the lock-picking puzzle in Still-Life. I almost had tears in my eyes!
Yeah, when you felt like you were almost there, click on the wrong metal thingy and all hell broke loose (meaning that you had to start over). That was atrocious.
But in case I haven't posted here already, the dogs puzzles in Monkey Island 2 and Simon the Sorcerer 2 were pretty annoying too.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #174
SamNMax

I thought the dog puzzle in MI2 was pretty logical.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #175

I have been playing adventures for 12 years and I can't tell which puzzle was the most frustrating. Many of them could reach the top, but can't remember them all.

However I never had much problems since I could soon find someone who could help me out or find a walkthru

The real problem though, that stuck me there for ages (no internet then, no walkthroughs in my magazines, no people to help), was Manhunter day one, when after the maze I reached the fair. Play again and again in case I missed something. I knew it was something about the dolls, and also tried various combinations to hit them.

By chance I found in my favourite comp-magazine a catalogue of game walkthroughs presented in past issues. So I went to an affiliating pc-shop that had an archive of these magazines and bought that issue.

The solution: hit dolls in a certain order, which you learn if you do something earlier, in a certain order
Old 07-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #176

Quote:
haha! yeah, i had to ask my aunt, since i dont really know any recipes, but she worked it out really quickly, since it is very close to the recipe she knew.

i took very long with the lock picking puzzle, but after a LONG time i got it, and i felt great! i really enjoyed it.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #177
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
The puzzle in Monkey Island 4 where you have the clock on the boat and you go through the time warp and have to talk to yourself in the future drove me absolutely crazy. That was the only puzzle I have ever cheated.
I know I just moved around aimlessly and hoped I made it to were I was supposed to go.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #178
I have a power 2, u kno.

I really don't like the Monkey Kombat in MI4 it took me ages to figure out how to win and then the next time I played it the whole thing changed.

Also the cookie bit in still life was soooooooo annoying and absolutely pointless.

And all those box puzzles in BS3, couldn't the writers think up any other things to do other than pushing boxes around all the time? Sheesh.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #179
I have a power 2, u kno.

Oh yeah and in Grim fandango where you had to find out where to put that flag thing. Gawd! that took me ages.
Also when you have to get the safe tumblers in just the right position.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #180
Two-Face

Quote:
I liked that puzzle - it required actualy knowledge of basic ingredients.

I figured it out in several tries. It's common sence really.