You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure B.A.T. series - Any fans?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default B.A.T. series - Any fans?

Many of you may not have heard of B.A.T, an early 90s cyberpunk adventure game developed by Computer's Dream software. There are 2 instalments in the series, with B.A.T. 1 released in 1990 and the sequel in 1993. If you've played it, please share your memories or opinions of the series. If not, here's some information in case you'd like to play it. For some reason it's not mentioned or reviewed on AGers so I hope it's helpful. Both games are easy to find.

B.A.T. (Bureau of Astral Troubleshooters) is a unique combination of adventure with minor role-playing elements, released in 1990. The game is first person with a comic-book style layout which was very original for its time, and still is with its non-linear gameplay and time system. Unfortunately there are some elements players might not like, such as infrequent combat (which is a simply a matter of activating your shields and clicking rapidly on the enemy) confusing navigation and a large maze. However, the game gives a very atmospheric and gritty cyberpunk vibe and is enjoyable for what it is.

B.A.T 2: Koshan Conspiracy improved on B.A.T. 1's formula with better graphics, more detailed dialogue and better interface. Personally, I think this is a marvellous game and an adventure classic. It's worth giving it a go even if you didn't like the first game or found it frustrating. Again, gameplay is non-linear with events happening at different times, and you can recruit different members to your party, making each game different.

Last edited by Oscar; 05-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Me! Me! Though I must admit that I never played the first one that much... However, the second was a groundbreaking experience: deep, complex and utterly atmospheric. I'd often find myself just roaming around in the city, sightseeing like a tourist and disregarding the main plot.

They're both ripe for re-releases on GOG.com.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

I loved both games...but I feel they were games born out of time. Both games need a proper introduction, tutorial, and less of a learning curve to play.

Remake please. Not re-release, they are already abandonware. Not to mention how flawed the game was because the gameplay was too advanced.

EDIT: Man I want to see a well done first person rpg in style of a graphic novel adventure. Modern visuals, complex gameplay, etc.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/

Last edited by Monolith; 05-18-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Advie.1

i heard of it and that is all Oscar..!

but That is one BAT i know

Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Remake please. Not re-release, they are already abandonware. Not to mention how flawed the game was because the gameplay was too advanced.
Moby states they were published by Ubisoft, they hardly belong to abandonware. Which is still illegal
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I loved both games...but I feel they were games born out of time. Both games need a proper introduction, tutorial, and less of a learning curve to play.

EDIT: Man I want to see a well done first person rpg in style of a graphic novel adventure. Modern visuals, complex gameplay, etc.
Yes, the learning curve was steep indeed. However this was part of the appeal for me. If there is to be a remake I fear it would hold your hand too much, which wouldn't suit the gritty, dangerous cyberpunk feel. The futuristic alien world SHOULD be hostile and confusing.

Would you believe the hardest part of the first game was finding my way around. I spent ages trying to find an area when I just needed to click on the side of one of the screens. Clearer entries/exits would be good.