You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Put SQ Series in their best order (Just Curious)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Put SQ Series in their best order (Just Curious)

Roger Wilco and Space Quest Game and its Sequels are my Favorite of all Sierra's Productions .

i just hear from time to time that SQ4 is the best of them all and some others would say SQ5 is the greatest and some people like the 1st 3 parts more than the rest of the series .

So will put them in the order that i see from the best to the worst though i think all the 6 parts should be considered Great anyway.

1 Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
2 Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
3 Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
4 Space Quest VI: Roger Wilco in the Spinal Frontier
5 Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter
6 Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

6 - I liked it, sure it had an odd tone and some of the puzzles were obtuse, but I enjoyed it.
5 - I don't remember it all that well but the starfleet test got a huge laugh when I first played it.
3 - short, sweet, lots of fun.
4 - I didn't actually beat this one due a crash when you jump in the time travel ship in the later part of the game, but it was fun ... if not a little archaic due to being an early VGA game.

--

didn't play very much of 1 or 2.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5 View Post

--

didn't play very much of 1 or 2.
Maybe you Should try SQ2 Remake

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/h...x.php?page=sq2 SQ2Remake

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 05-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

I don't like the Space Quest series. I find the humour unfunny and the puzzle design obnoxious. Still, I've played through the series several times, so I'll give my opinion anyway.

1. SQ5. The only SQ game I really, really like, probably because it's the least spacequesty of the bunch. Apart from the maze, it's a great game, with an interesting story and many endearing characters among Roger's crew.
2. SQ4. A few obnoxious sequences, but the story is intriguing and the time travel part fun.
3. I was going to write "SQ3", but then I remembered about all the part at Scumsoft, which was dreadful. So let's say "the first half of SQ3".
4,5. SQ1, SQ6? I have no emotional response whatsoever when thinking about SQ1, so I guess it didn't make me angry, but I certainly didn't enjoy it either. As for SQ6, the biggest feeling is that something constantly felt off about it (despite the puzzle design being less obnoxious than in most previous instalments), though I can't quite put my finger on what that was.
666. SQ2. There should be a special hell for whoever had a hand in that abomination. Strong contender for Trashiest Sierra Sequel Ever (though I don't think anything can beat KQ2 in that category).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers – I feel as though this game is the pinnacle of the series in most aspects. The biggest standout is the storyline, which is pretty epic and dark compared to the other games, while still being hilarious, and I especially enjoyed the time travel aspect. I do not mind the irreverent storytelling of most of the Space Quest games, but this was a nice change of pace from the very random story of the previous installment. Beyond that, I also think that this game is the funniest one yet, and has the best puzzles of the entire series. It is also the first one to have voice acting Gary Owens! The only downsides are the loss of the text parser (personal taste) and that some of the arcade sequences are near impossible on newer machines, without a bit of tinkering.

Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon – The storyline is quite random, and in my opinion, weak, and like the first two games, it's pretty short. However, the game just oozes atmosphere and charm, thanks to some great art direction, and a very memorable and kickin soundtrack. The puzzles are also clever and well designed, being second behind SQ4. I also feel that this game expands upon the larger world of Space Quest, and sets the tone for the series as a whole.

Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter (EGA) – I'm not just putting this here, because it is the 1st, but because I just really love this game. I still find this game to be funny after all these years, even though it is a bit lighter on humor than the other games. I like the puzzles, and I found the timed elements to be quite fun It has a very simple structure and it is quite short, and I can easily breeze through it in an hour, so I boot this game up every now and then, when I'm bored.

Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge – I think that this one has some very clever and enjoyable puzzles, and I would put the puzzle design just about up there with SQ 4 and 3. The storyline and characterization are a bit of a step up from the first game, although it is still pretty simple and direct. It has some clever scenes and sequences, and some enjoyable timed puzzles. It also marks the first time that we see Roger's arch nemesis face to face

Space Quest V: The Next Mutation – I almost put this higher on this list, because it is a very memorable game in many respects, and very fun, but it has a different feel from the first four. The storyline is very interesting, and easily the second best that the series has to offer, and the characterization is a big leap over the others, especially for Roger. I like this aspect, and I wish the rest of the games were like this one in that sense. The puzzles are also well designed and logical, but I just didn't find them as much fun as in the other games for some reason. I also feel that this one is considerably less funny than the first four, although it does have its moments, and it may just be because of the heavy focus on Star Trek spoofs .

Space Quest VI: The Spinal Frontier – I like this game as a whole, but I think it just misses in a lot of areas for me. The puzzles start off good, but later on, they just seem to get too random and illogical. I think that the story line is decent, but a step down from the previous two games. It is funnier than SQ5, although it didn't make me laugh as much as the first four . I think that there was some behind the scenes trouble at Sierra at the time, and some late game creative team swapping, which probably effected the final product. It is still worth playing, and an enjoyable game overall, but definitely the least in the 6 .

Edit: I should say that SQ6 IS a funny game I just mean that the humor is a bit different, which is probably due to lack of much involvement from the two guys. It's not quite as funny as the first four, but it did make me laugh .

There is also a VGA remake of SQ1, but I still prefer the EGA version, even though this one has some nice art design . I didn't list the fan games, because they are not cannon (with the possible exception of SQ2 VGA, since the story is identical). Most of them are pretty great though, so anyone should check them out, if you haven't already

Last edited by Chrono-Serge; 05-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge View Post

Space Quest V: The Next Mutation – I almost put this higher on this list, because it is a very memorable game in many respects, and very fun, but it has a different feel from the first four. The storyline is very interesting, and easily the second best that the series has to offer, and the characterization is a big leap over the others, especially for Roger. I like this aspect, and I wish the rest of the games were like this one in that sense. The puzzles are also well designed and logical, but I just didn't fine them as much fun as in the other games for some reason. I also feel that this one is considerably less funny than the first four, although it does have its moments, and it may just be because of the heavy focus on Star Trek spoofs .
WAOW ..you are a really Roger Wilco Fan ... and as for The Next Mutation as you said it feel different than whole series , puzzles are at the hardest of them ALL (imo) and i guess it somehow relates to Scott Murphy's disappearance in this one and Mark Crowe takes it all on his own, also working under Sierra's sister company Dynamix meant a big change in the team and the crew whom were involved in the previous Episodes.

anyhow this one should have been the best of them all but it felt like when David Finsher took Aliens 3 (Movie) case into another direction or theme ,

i am not sure about the core of the previous example and if it really explains anything ....

but anyways something you said about Logical Puzzles so what about that one when you have
Spoiler:
to wait for that android to enter the lower cave entrance to be able to get Roger up the hill to push that big rock on him
the narrator all the time says you cant stay in one place for long time and you are actually running from a killer android , so how on earth would think that you 1st should
Spoiler:
wait for his appearance run into the lower cave and not enter the upper but to wait for it to appear beneath you and ...BoooM!

i know it can be described like fairly difficult puzzle but, puzzle like these would oblige that narrator not to lure you away from the correct solution at least if not giving a hint like it not a good time to push the rock now , or something like wait for the right time but luring you away from the correct action that so unfair.

i just replayed this game little while ago that why my post sounds tempered especially that i remembered that when i 1st played it more than 10 years ago this was the only puzzle that i couldn't get past without a hint (there was nothing called a walkthrough back then).

at last great detailed order you have mentioned above .
Thank you

Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

I'd say...

1) Space Quest 3

2) Space Quest IV

3) Space Quest V (hilarious!)

4) Space Quest I/VGA Remake

5) Space Quest VI

6) Space Quest II

I'm happy with that list.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

- Space Quest IV

- Space Quest III

- Space Quest V

- Space Quest 6

- Space Quest I

- Space Quest II

Like them all but IV is miles ahead of the other games. Best looking, funniest and most iconic.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
i know it can be described like fairly difficult puzzle but, puzzle like these would oblige that narrator not to lure you away from the correct solution at least if not giving a hint like it not a good time to push the rock now , or something like wait for the right time but luring you away from the correct action that so unfair.

i just replayed this game little while ago that why my post sounds tempered especially that i remembered that when i 1st played it more than 10 years ago this was the only puzzle that i couldn't get past without a hint (there was nothing called a walkthrough back then).

at last great detailed order you have mentioned above .
Thank you
You just reminded me about that puzzle, and how frustrated it made me Still, I think that the game had mostly logical puzzles on the whole. Space Quest is also my fav Sierra series, and really my fav adventure game series The only one that might come close, would be Quest for Glory.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
1. SQ5. The only SQ game I really, really like, probably because it's the least spacequesty of the bunch. Apart from the maze, it's a great game, with an interesting story and many endearing characters among Roger's crew.
2. SQ4. A few obnoxious sequences, but the story is intriguing and the time travel part fun.
3. I was going to write "SQ3", but then I remembered about all the part at Scumsoft, which was dreadful. So let's say "the first half of SQ3".
4,5. SQ1, SQ6? I have no emotional response whatsoever when thinking about SQ1, so I guess it didn't make me angry, but I certainly didn't enjoy it either. As for SQ6, the biggest feeling is that something constantly felt off about it (despite the puzzle design being less obnoxious than in most previous instalments), though I can't quite put my finger on what that was.
666. SQ2. There should be a special hell for whoever had a hand in that abomination. Strong contender for Trashiest Sierra Sequel Ever (though I don't think anything can beat KQ2 in that category).
Wow, almost exactly my thoughts. I don't find SQ unfunny or bad - the series just don't appeal to me much, since there's not much personality to them, and I was never a fan of Star Wars/Star Trek kind of sci-fi to enjoy the parodies. Still I rate SQ1 higher than SQ6, and I can safely say now that Space Quest: Incinerations is my second favourite Space Quest.

Last edited by Arial Type; 05-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #11

My order would be

SQ4
SQ3
SQ5
SQ1
SQ2
SQ6
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Senior Automaton

SQ4
SQ5
SQ3
SQ2
SQ1
SQ6

Nothing to say really. The first 5 are classics and are all great, and 6th was very disappointing and shouldn't even be considered a Space Quest game. The graphics on that one are criminally ugly. My copy of SQ5 lacked voice acting which I wasn't too happy with - if it had voices it might have made #1.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
SQ4
SQ5
SQ3
SQ2
SQ1
SQ6

Nothing to say really. The first 5 are classics and are all great, and 6th was very disappointing and shouldn't even be considered a Space Quest game. The graphics on that one are criminally ugly. My copy of SQ5 lacked voice acting which I wasn't too happy with - if it had voices it might have made #1.
I didnt see it Thaaaaaaat Bad (the 6th) , actually it was a big shot. but anyways
i wonder if all agree on the 4th part to be the best of the series ,that means if i asked about KQ's all will agree on the 6th part .. it seems that most of previous order based on the success of the game not the personal experience with them .. as how did feel not upon some Magazine ratings or review , or number of copies sold ...

i have Chosen the 3rd part only because it was one of the reasons that hooked me up with Adventures ..as the improvement at the time right after the 1st and the 2nd were out it was very encouraging for me ,
SQ1 & 2 KQ 1,2,3 looked so lame , its only after SQ3 and KQ4 and their upstanding graphics and the output that pushed right me in.