You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 4 Decades of Adventuring (POLL)

View Poll Results: Which was the best Era
1976 - 1986 The Start of a Dream 0 0%
1986 - 1993 The Time of making the Art 4 20.00%
1993 - 1999 Time of BlockBusters and Big Sellers 12 60.00%
1999 - 2012 the Dead Living era (Fighting to survive) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default 4 Decades of Adventuring (POLL)

i made i thread before about that which no one got really interested in so i thought about that poll

every decade of the past years of Adventuring has some sort of Characteristics and a Obvious theme for its own

to analyze and say why you chosen this than that ,and discuss each Era or at the least the one you chosen, would be very nice and creative , as it would creates/brings such a great discussions topics about what makes an Adventure game Great (is it how it sell, or is it the updated way it looks,or maybe it doesnt matter if its a game like released now 2012 but still looks like from its the 80's as it the case with Gemini Rue) and also for sharing loads of points of view behind every vote and Era.

at the end ,what is your age and how long you been into Adventure i guess doesnt matter .

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-29-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

What's this thread about? I'm utterly lost.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Advie.1

i dont know why does this post published before i am finish with.. it is just a poll Again

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Advie.1

Zane are you Serious ?... can you (if it doesnt bother you) why?

"What's this thread about? I'm utterly lost.
" Fien
i would appreciate your opinion and choice as an old timer adventurer .. i guess would choose the 1st era though it , goes with your characteristics

Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

The reason Fien is utterly lost is you've given this thread no introduction in your opening post. Generally a poll needs some sort of introduction as to what it is about, or people simply won't bother looking at it.

I'm also somewhat confused by the eras you've chosen. Rather than decades these look like arbitrary splits. The names also no doubt mean something to you, but don't make any sense to me as given. Again, the opening post really needs to include explanation of these. Summary titles are fine for the poll itself if there is sufficient detail in the thread to understand them.

On the assumption that the splits are also your own rather than from an independent external source, I think you're more likely to get people arguing with your definitions instead of voting. Could be an interesting discussion in itself but not really one suited for a poll.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 04-29-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

There was no poll when I posted. Now that there is, I'll choose 93-99. Not just because it was the most productive era, but it was also a time of creativity. The most original adventures were developed in the nineties. Dark Eye, TLE, Bad Mojo, Bad Day on the Midway, etcetera.

EDIT: I forgot my beloved FMV, it's the FMV era. Thanks to the introduction of the CD.

Last edited by Fien; 04-29-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Advie.1

i could have chosen the 70's and 80's , 90 as decade and so on.. but i see the history of adventure had nothing to do with those number. like if you say the 70's ; there were no adventures before 76... and if i said the 80's it can not be taken as one whole era by it self as the last 3-4 years of the 80's were so far different from its start plus especially when Lucasarts was joining the scene ,

new elements and options appeared at the those last 3-4 years from taken adventure away of Text Phaser Control to point and clicks of the mouse and also the appearing of changes to the verbs and using the Look/Examine and Action/take with the left and right clicks of the mouse instead, which had a great impact over bringing and drawing lots of new fans of the genre as this genre before that ,looked at/considered to be like something for the geniuses only..

many other things through the decade that i would like it to be discussed here as Mr.Steve said this hasn't to be just poll it could bring up more Infos/details/experiences and more points of view..

so that is why i saw the adventuring games time would/should splits at such way

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-29-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

I was going to choose 1993-1999, and most of the games I played were from that era. But I thought some more and realised that I am also enjoying a lot of games released recently. I guess 1999-2012 hasnt been all that bad as people make out to be, so I'm selecting that
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #9

I'm going to choose 1986 - 1993 because it laid the foundations of graphical adventures that I've enjoyed over the past two decades more than any other epoch. Namely, the switch from text adventures to point-and-click and SVGA/CD-rom.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Advie.1

stepurhan i would like to see your Vote too or Mods here with AG Rules should not participate in threads at all ???!

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-29-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Freeware Co-ordinator

I still don't understand why you've chosen the splits you have or the titles you've chosen. For example, you describe 1986 to 1993 as "The Making of the Art", as if artistic games simply stopped being made in the early 1990s and nothing in the early eras had artistic merit. The fact that this is the era you've voted for yourself, but without explaining why, makes it seem like the title is a reflection of your personal preferences rather than any sort of objective appraisal. Your amendments to your opening post don't shed any light on this. Please can you at least try to write a brief explanation of your reasons for choosing and naming each era so we can understand where the poll headings are coming from.

As for voting, you should always include an "other" option on polls. I wouldn't vote for a best era for games any more than I would vote for a best game ever. Having lived and gamed through all four eras, I think they all have their merits. Given anyone younger than their mid-20s won't have experienced the first two eras, I expect the poll to skew towards the lower two options though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Advie.1

what i mean by the era of making the art is before that adventure games were nothing but some experiments, someone there with his IBM like the case w Colossal Cave's doing something just for the fun of it,

that without using any kind of special tools or such programmers that sierra used later , sierra were turning Adventure as was not understood (its Funny how a genre would be called after a game title, because there no genre it would fit in , so whtda'hec' fit it a Genre ) into defined art and with every game they made and the feedback they got created a definition to last for a decade and more .

that is what art is all about, when you compare something new like Tale of a hero with King's Quest ... the 1st was just following some art already crated and upon making their artwork, but king's quest was to reach something out of nothing, something original was nothing but a dream.
look at black sabbath (metal band)when they appeared there was no such genre called Metal, there was only Rock , and they had the balls to do what they wanted, not following a granted trend or genre and that is an art.

but who worked at that era from the mid 80' til the end of the 90'0 and all was that is then a created unforgeable great living worlds,we can live and forget about the other we are all living

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 05-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Filmfreak

Most of my favourite games are from the 1993-1999 era, so that's my pick.