You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Portal (not Valve's one) - on Kickstarter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #1

Default Portal (not Valve's one) - on Kickstarter

Anyone know of the original game? Was it any good?

The story seems very intriguing (though they're probably asking for too much...)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...al-1986-reborn
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #2

900K !! Wow thats a tough goal. It looks intriguing though
Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mutajon View Post
Anyone know of the original game? Was it any good?

The story seems very intriguing (though they're probably asking for too much...)
The story was great, but it was barely a game. It was self-described as an interactive novel at the time and that's not far off. There was really no way to lose or to get lost. It was sort of an early internet simulator, so that novelty wouldn't really work today. The story could be retold using a different method, though.

I wish them luck, but 900k for a game that no one remembers is a bit of a long shot.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #4

Welp... Talk about your uphill battles.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwards View Post
The story was great, but it was barely a game. It was self-described as an interactive novel at the time and that's not far off. There was really no way to lose or to get lost. It was sort of an early internet simulator, so that novelty wouldn't really work today. The story could be retold using a different method, though.
Thanks for the info. I guess I should try and check it out myself sometime.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

Very interesting, I'm definitely considering backing it. But I doubt very much that they're going to reach the goal. It's way too high (unless perhaps Notch is a Portal-fan).
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

You can play the old version online here - http://www.virtualapple.org/portaldisk.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwards View Post
You can play the old version online here - http://www.virtualapple.org/portaldisk.html
Wow. That's great - thanks a lot!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

God bless 'em for trying because this looks like a cool project but $900,000 is insane.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Senior Automaton

It was great. I spent days playing it when I probably should have been doing other things, and it was worth it.

I don't really want it as a 3D adventure game. That's a pretty stupid idea actually, given that the original game interface is part of the story and the character you are playing looks at the same things you do, not an image of himself walking around an environment in 3rd person fashion.

Its actually pretty sad when you see developers of an innovative game wanting to reduce it to uniformity and orthodoxy, seemingly to appeal to people who just want to look at pretty pictures.

Last edited by Oscar; 04-27-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #11

Default Remember Portal from 1986? A Remake is on its way on kickstarter!

Hello guys, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in the remake of an old Interactive fiction game, in 3D but keeping the story and mechanisms.

Basically it was a text game where you had to browse computer archives to unravel a great story about the disparition of mankind. Great story telling, and the scenario was adapted as a novel later. What was new for the epoch, was that this IF had a GUI where you'd navigate to unlock the parts of the stories, by reading about the ones you found.

Now I'm a big fan of this game and seeing it remade is just so great not to share it with people, especially since it seems to struggle during this kickstarter founding.
Their team is made of people in the industry and I wouldn't be shocked if I learned they already asked for funding in big companies but were denied.

They have reasonable funding demands (900k) and aren't afraid to say it (tax money, marketing, etc.). They want to make a great game... The thing is they lack media coverage and did not advance much sadly. I'm hoping those few words will help spread the word!

Here's an entry on wikipedia about the original game : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(interactive_novel)
And a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBTcRHvKk4

Oh and by the way, on Rock Paper Shotgun people thought I was spamming my project on their forum, because I had created an account especially. First off this is NOT my project, second i'm just a big fan of the book/game and would like to see this project made.

VoilÃ*! I hope more media will cover this story!

BTW, long time lurker. I love this website.
BTW2, funny that it doesn't reference Portal from 1986, but only the valve's portal
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Senior *female* member

That's one ambitious project... $900,000.
Tim Schafer, look what you have done.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
In an evening of July...

I believe we already have a thread about this kickstarter, so our mods might want to merge them.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #14

Someone already posted about this: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=30965

I had never heard of the game before, but it sounds extremely interesting. I've pledged a little to show my support, but I'm going to have to save up in order to get Tex Murphy and Jane Jensen past their Kickstarter goals.

I also think their chances of success are very small. At least I can look forward to playing the original if this never sees the light of day...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #15

I'm sorry, I tried to make a search on "portal kickstarter", and didn't return any result apart from the Leisure Suit Larry thread.

My mistake
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pival View Post
They have reasonable funding demands (900k) and aren't afraid to say it (tax money, marketing, etc.)
That is up for debate. Nothing sounds reasonable to me about 900k for remaking an interactive novel. And im sorry, their pitch video was laughable (not in a good way). Its a noble cause... but unless youre somebody with the record of brian fargo, you need to start small with your game from the 1980s.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #17

Unfortunately this game will probably never make that goal in 24 days...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelli View Post
Unfortunately this game will probably never make that goal in 240 days...
fyp.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Under pressure.

So they canceled the project and rebooted it with another one that has a less ambitious goal. The game itself will also be less ambitious. I backed the previous project and now I'm not sure if I should pledge again. How much of their original idea will remain? Will they pull it off?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Schattenjäger

Well, at their current rate it would take them over 1 year to reach their goal.